Bilateral TKR Kayaknlady's new knees

Oh my goodness!!! You journey is “the dream” we can all hope to achieve!! Congratulations!! You’re rocking those new knees.
:wowspring:
 
We always say listen to the knees and it sounds like they are telling you "get out and give it a try." :)
 
Finishing my 11 post op week of bilateral knee replacements. Yesterday I biked 6.5 miles outside, about 20 min stationary bike, and walked 3.5 miles to see Christmas lights with my family. Some Tylenol and Alieve at night. I have to use easier gears when biking up small hills, but getting easier everyday. I ice and elevate after activity but less swelling and heat. Not normal yet, but getting there. Planning driving 15 hours to FL in Feb with confidence. I’m already helping instruct kayaking in the pool . I pace out my activity. Instead of 2 hours in the gym pre op, I’ll do one hour in AM and 1 hour of excercise outside in PM. Not bad for 70! I’m very happy. Summer will be fun. Don’t get discouraged.
 
All I can say is, "WOW!"! I believe you have SusieShoes rock star recovery beat! What an inspiration you are!
 
Not bad for 70.

Im the same weeks out as you, and I can do none of the things you’re able to do. And I’m 10 years younger!!! Were you able to do all these things prior to your knee surgery? I remember you said you were active before surgery... I haven’t been able to do these things in years! You are AMAZING!! I’m so happy for your awesome recovery!!

Merry Christmas!
 
Yes, before surgery I did water aerobics 3 times a week, yoga, Pilates, swimming, senior aerobics, Weight lifting, working out at the gym 4 days a week, kayaking, biking the other days . I exercised daily. I just couldn’t walk much and had to quit hiking. I tried to get as fit and strong as I could pre op. I knew that , as we age, we lose muscle strength/ mass, and flexibility rapidly. I knew with a bilateral, upper body strength would be needed to help me get up. My hope was that this would all aid in my recovery. This is a difficult surgery and recovery, but I think all this preparation paid off. I’m not able to do everything I did pre op yet, but I’m hopeful will , and even exceed my prior level of exercise without painful knees holding me back.
 
Last edited:
I’m now 12 weeks post op bilateral TKA. My right knee feels like it’s mine, left still lagging behind in flexion, strength, comfort. I can now work out at the gym a solid 2 hours of classes Today I did Silver Sneakers strength training then Body Flow( combo of TiChi, yoga, Pilates, balance) I avoided most kneeling and will get some volleyball knee pads. I never expected to resume Body Flow for a year, and I’m already doing most of it, even planks. I’m even planning on getting a part time job as a dog walker. I haven’t done any rugged hikes yet. I’ll ice my knees as a precaution, but I must admit, I never expected to do so well. I was so afraid that my usual would be over. Now I’m looking forward to a future where I can do even more.
 
Yes, life after TKR is wonderful! I’m more active than ever! Dog walking would be a perfect job!
 
At 12 weeks bilateral TKA,I now added lap swimming to my gym routine. Started with 20 min on stationary bike, 1 hour of combined yoga, Pilates , Ti Chi, then swam 6 lengths in the pool, followed by walking in the pool. I took it easy, as I realize the flutter kick involved more knee bending and stress. I was surprised to find it easy and knees not painful after. With cold weather here, the gym will
be my haven. I’ve avoided the knee press for two weeks, as it was causing pain. I’m surprised my balance in yoga is about the same as pre op. Never great, but not bad for my age, 70. In the pool I try to do long strides which stretch my hamstrings.
 
I'm not surprised that the knee press hurt you. It's not good for the knees anyway. With everything else you're doing, you don't need it anyway.
 
My PT had me use their knee press, but I agree, I don’t need it and it just causes pain. I got my new knee pads and will try them out next week for yoga.
 
At 12 weeks I’m healing rapidly. Just 2 Alieve a day and occasionally Tylenol. Today 20 min recumbent stationary bike, 10 min rowing machine, 20 min first time elipitical machine since surgery. I’m going on a short level hike this afternoon. Left knee slight warmth, Right knee normal. It’s only 12 degrees F here so the hike may be short lived. Wow 14,000 steps so far this afternoon. Icing and elevating now
 
Last edited:
Mon Dieu, Madam!
Where do you get the energy, not to mention the time?- I count my self "exercised" if I do 20-35 minutes of walking or other outdoor activivty! Not bad for 70, indeed! Keep posting.
 
Ye gods, woman! I ached just reading your post! [emoji23] i couldn’t do what you do in a lifetime of knee whispering. You are a Trojan indeed!


Bilateral Total Knee Replacement 27 November 2017
 
I’m 70,but full of energy,and get impatient sitting still. Saw primary MD for yearly check up today and she said I’m not 70 although it’s my chronological age. I’m retired and am fortunate to have a great gym close to home. I used my knee pads today from Amazon which helped a lot in my 1 hr yoga/ Pilates class, then walked in the pool with resistance for an hour because it’s too cold outside. I think exercise can increase our energy. I start every morning with at least a 10 min stationary bike ride to get rid of the stiffness. My gym is full of seniors, all with the goal of keep moving to keep living
 
I’m now 13 weeks Post bilateral TKA. I exercise two hours daily, yesterday 3 hours ( Pilates/ yoga 1 hr, stationary bike 20 min, rowing machine 10 min, 30 min pool walking, 1 hr aqua aerobics) . Little stiffness relieved by Alieve and 2 Tylenol. Today great and able to kayak and roll. The knee pads help a lot with kneeling in yoga, but I substitute planking when possible to avoid kneeling. Flexion improving in left knee, right knee feels normal, except for clicking noise. I feel like my life is starting anew. I can get in and out of my kayak without difficulty. Regaining strength. My next challenge will be hiking longer and eventually with more elevation. Nice to sleep on my belly and side again. Worst is over. Happy
 
I get tired, but also rather thrilled, reading how much you can do. You’re totally rocking recovery by not focusing on ROM but heading straight to function. And boy, is your new knee functional. It’s great to see you are getting back to your active, physical life and having a good time. Also, yay for sleeping!
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom