Bilateral TKR Kayaknlady's new knees

Post op day 5. I’m sleeping well. Still taking Norco about every 4-5 hrs. I’m rehabbing at home with help of daughter. One Home Health RN and one PT ( will get 2 more PT at home). My mobility is improving every day, don’t have any numbers, but I’m surprised how easy it’s been. I’m living on one level and hope to get some fresh air tomorrow. I can shower and put on my clothes/ shoes without help. I carry my ice packs in a back pack while using the walker. I can do my own PT and use the handle of cane to help with heel slides. So glad I did them same time . I’m a bit bored, but an ECF or rehab would make me feel more incapacitated. It will be challenging to get rides to out patient PT next week and clean laundry as it’s in basement, but I’ll manage with friends support.
 
It sounds as if you are making good progress so early in recovery. I'm glad you will have the support of friends as this can be a roller coaster of good days and bad. I understand the boredom, but look at it as an opportunity ice and elevate and catch up on guilty pleasures like TV and magazines/books.
 
Improvisation is a great skill to have this early in recovery! As the swelling and pain gets less, everything becomes easier, from making snacks to taking walks. You’re doing great! Boredom doesn’t last long, I found. I kept taking lots of short naps. :zzz:
 
So glad to hear you are doing really well! The positive attitude makes a big difference and the challenge is keeping it positive and not giving in to the rough times! Each day for me has been a tiny bit better for me than the one before!
 
If I were you, I wouldn't worry about going to PT until you can drive yourself. Just doing your daily activities is all your knees need for the next month or so. Not taking PT will allow those knees of yours to heal quicker and with less pain.
 
You're doing great!! You must have had a couple of good TKR coaches :heehee::yahoo:
Don't forget to use that cane to lift your legs if necessary when you're tired. And sleep is a wonderful thing.
 
I’m post op day 10 and pain so much better. I can walk without the walker but use it because doc wants me to. I’m taking Narco every 4-5 hours around the clock ( will start to space it out a little) PT getting easier but I spend much of my day in recliner or sofa with legs elevated. I feel my legs swell as soon as I start walking or sitting upright in a chair. My daughter is still here but I think I could manage alone if needed. Sleeping better. I will need friends to drive me to out pt PT starting this week , help with laundry, groceries, but otherwise independent. I do my PT twice a day at home. I’m really happy I’m recovering at home instead of a rehab. I take my phone with me always. I’m thankful that once healed, rehabbed, I won’t have to face another surgery. Next 4 weeks I’ll be alone in my house, and it might get lonely. Pleased with progress.
 
What a good report! Knowing that you can walk with the walker is a good thing, but you should be using it for the next few weeks until you're steady on your feet.
 
@Kayaknlady sounds like you are a rock star! :happydance:It is so good to hear you are doing so well!

I am 2 1/2 weeks out and while feeling better each day, I am finding that the boredom and loneliness are tough. I have my husband here during the day but my insomnia makes nights very lonely.:boohoo:

I am so impressed that you are going to be alone for 4 weeks and so confident about it. I applaud you.
:yay:

I am to the point that I don't absolutely have to have help, but not being able to go out and be busy is hard!
:bawl:

Good luck to you and hoping everything goes swimmingly for you!
:swim:
 
Being single and living alone means I usually go out freq to be with others. I think it will be lonely, but it’s temporary . I’ll try to keep busy with phone calls, texts to friends, Facebook, planning a big trip to Paupa New Guinea, and walkingl a bit more each day. I haven’t been alone all day yet, so time will tell, but a positive spirit helps. Glad you’re doing well in your recovery. Looking forward to time I can drive and go to gym
 
I live alone, but friends and family visited nearly everyday. Boredom was a problem for me because I couldn’t concentrate to read, so television helped.
 
Your attitude is great! So glad you are progressing in your recovery and have a plan to deal with the boredom.
 
I live alone too,and I agree it is kind of lonely. You feel kind of left out of life. I go to the gym almost every day,but then it's back home to an empty house. Four more weeks I go back to work,and I'll wish I ha d more time to myself.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 
Sounds like you are doing well so far. I hope PT works well for you. I enjoyed it and I felt it helped me. I'm sure your being in good shape prior to surgery also helped as well as your positive attitude. I was also surprised that I could bathe and dress without help from the beginning. My husband took off the first week after my surgery and I think we both expected I would need a lot more help than I did. He stood by the first time I showered just in case but I could maneuver myself in and out without help.

Do what you can when you can. SOme of us bounce back quicker than others and if you just listen to your body it will tell you when you are ready. The only surprise for me was that prior to TKR, I only had to think ahead so as not to be caught half a mile from the car or in the middle of something I couldn't easily stop when the knee announced it was time to quit. Once I got off the knee, things didn't get any worse. After surgery it was different. I might quit when the knee was mildly sore and three hours later the knee would be swollen and much more painful than when I first decided to quit whatever activity was irritating it. Something to think about in the beginning. I'm over 3 months out and things are good and I have my active life back. You will too.
 
I’m looking forward to walks in the park again. But I know that might be weeks from now. My life revolved around outdoor activities and it is a big change. But the autum weather is delightful in St Louis and I can sit outside a bit each day. I bought a DVD for upper body exercising for disabled. I’ll try it out as soon as I can sit longer with legs down. It will keep me occupied, and strong, which I’ll need for kayaking in the spring. I’m so thankful I’m retired and don’t have to worry about being able to work full days and do any heavy lifting. POD12
 
I’m POD 12 bil TKA. Had my last home PT today and asked her if I could try the steep 12 basement steps. They can be really scary, but I had a bannister installed on both sides prior to surgery. They weren’t hard . Now I’ll be able to do my own laundry. My knees are still at 5 and I have to work at getting zero, but pleased with progress. I live alone so independence is important
 
You seem to be moving at pretty close to the same speed I was. I had to look it up I my thread here but first went down the 12 stairs to my basement on day 12. Not easy but possible. My laundry is on the main level so it wasnt as necessary to go downstairs. My office is in the basement but I wasn't comfortable sitting behind the desk for long at that stage anyway. I probably wouldn't have enjoyed carrying laundry up and down stairs but I probably could have managed a little as long as I had one hand for the rail.
 
Pod 15 and I’m surprised how good I feel. Knees still get warm so icing and elevating takes up much of my day. Standing is getting easier but only short periods. I went out to dinner yesterday. Able to rest both legs on booth. I know I’m not ready for any prolonged sitting. Doing upper body weights for strength and was able to do down dog and few yoga twists. My goal today is to get on floor while I have family support, to make sure I can get up. . I’ve had a few days when I over did it and paid for it next day with increased swelling. This journey isn’t as bad as I anticipated. I’m glad I did them at the same time.
 
Back
Top Bottom