Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Kayaknlady's new knees

I’m 7 weeks Post bilateral TKA and just finished my last PT O straight and 125-115 flexion. I still ice and elevate. Pain a lot better on Tylenol and Alieve now. I see doc Monday. I’m going kayaking tomorrow. I still can’t walk more than 2 miles without pain, but should improve soon. I can kneel on a mat. I’m grateful for the encouragement of this group and especially my knee sisters who I met at the gym. They gave me ongoing advice, encouragement, phone calls and texts to ward of loneliness, brought lunch, and gave me rides to PT when I couldn’t drive. I’ll continue to do my exercises at the gym and gradually resume my normal routine. I’m grateful
 
Last edited:
Have fun kayaking tomorrow! I find it very enjoyable! Getting in isn't so bad. But, getting out was rough at first! I hope it goes well for you!
 
I had a rough post op day 1. Unable to eat, BP in 80s, sats in 80s and almosted passed out every time I got up. Fast track doc came in 3 times to discharge me. I told her I knew my vitals weren’t stable, still getting IV bolus and 02. I told her I wasn’t able to walk and was not stable for D/C. Post op day 2 felt good enough to d/c to home. Good pain control, able to get out of bed, recliner, sofa , and raised toilet independently. Doc only giving me 3 home health PT . Home health Nurse very unkempt, smelled, and not professional. Great family and friend support. I was a nurse case manager and would advise patients not to accept discharge if medically unstable, no matter how eager the doc.

Best of wishes for a speedy recovery! I’m just a couple days ahead of you. BTKR 10/03/17. I’m going to follow you. I’m 10 years younger, not any where as active as you... retired pre-K teacher. I still have a long way to go... Blessings!
 
@Beckaroo, I’ve been following you too. I hope you resolve your back problems . Seems like I spent days on my back, head down, legs up, feeling like I was in a hole. I bought a new mattress and sofa before surgery and I was glad. It will get better
 
Last edited:
I’m now 7 weeks Post bilateral TKA. My doc released me from PT with 0 extension and 125/115 flexion. I do PT daily at the gym or home. I kayaked on the river with minor difficulty getting out of boat. I’ve rolled my kayak today in the pool where I teach. Yesterday I rode my bike about 2 miles in the pretty flat park. Still icing and elevate Post exercise. I can cut my lawn and restarted water aerobics. I’m doing better than I expected and I’m 70. I know everyone has a different recovery, but I just want to share what is possible. I worked out daily pre op to prepare for this surgery. Keep positive, eventually we will all finish . I’ve had some great mentors along my journey. Looking forward to hiking in future
 
We love to hear about good recoveries like yours! All along your recovery has been super. What a wonderful inspiration you are for those coming up behind you!
 
Yeah!! What a great recovery. Yes, we all have our own journey, but I would take a piece of yours if you’re giving any away lol.

Here you are...
:bicycle1::kayak::hiking::swim:
 
Wow!! I am in awe: a two mile bike ride at 7 weeks. I love it! I could maybe do a mile on my stationery bike at that point. I've hit some roadblocks and had to jump some (figurative) hurdles, but I am always so pleased to hear the stories of those successfully progressing recoveries. :biking::biking::biking:
 
You are amazing! We are so close on surgery dates and you’re way ahead of me! Thanks giving wiped me out and you’re out bike riding already!! Super wow!! You go girl!!! :biking:
 
I’m now at 8 weeks post op. Sometimes my right knee feels like my own, left almost there, but not as flexible and bit more discomfort. Taking Tylenol and Alieve. I can ride a bike 2 miles outside, resumed water aerobics, kayaked 10 miles and getting in and out easier, even rolled my kayak. I still don’t walk more than 2 miles or hike yet. The stationary bike loosens me up in AM. I’m happy I did them
same time so by spring I’ll get back to my normal life. Last night I slept on my stomach, what a treat
 
What a great report! You’re rocking the recovery. For two months, your activity level is higher than most will be at, but it’s clearly working for you. Doing your knees at the same time really does make a difference when it comes to looking forward to a life free of knee pain. ‘Tis done. Onward! :thumb:
 
I’m 9 weeks post op bil TKR. I went on my first hike today. It was mostly flat and I took a gps so I wouldn’t overdo it . It was an up and back hike. I was able to walk 3 miles without pain and am icing / elevating now as precaution with about 8,500 steps today. My right knee almost feels like mine. My left, not there yet. Taking 2 Alieve and less Tylenol every day. I warm up on a stationary bike every morning. I’m very pleased and slowly looking forward to more challenges. So good to walk among the trees again.
 
It is wonderful that you re doing so well! I had my RTKR September 27 and I can walk a mile, but certainly not 3 miles! But I will get there!!!
 
I’m starting my 11 post op week bilateral TKA.Yesterday I walked 3 miles and biked 3.5 miles outside. Today 5 mile bike ride and 1.5 mile walk. Pain after using a leg press last week. Need to reduce weight on it or skip it. Less heat in knees and still sleeping with legs elevated. I can now walk longer without pain than pre op. It’s just going to get better in the future. I’m able to rejoin my walking group and hopefully hiking group soon.
 
Today ( 11 weeks post op bilateral TKR) I was able to do over 10,000 steps on my fit bit type watch. A mile stone for me. I can now walk my neighhood Park that I’ve neglected for a year. I’m optimistic about the future that will only get better. I did senior cardio indoors plus outside walking to get the steps in. Not everyone is going to recover this fast, but it is possible, and hopefully we all get there eventually. We didn’t go through this pain to sit on the couch the rest of our lives. We did it to get our lives back.
 

Staff online

  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom