THR Kay9s Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the 4 wk itch for freedom as well. Was planning to practice driving in a big, empty, parking lot tomorrow, but thank you for the cautionary tale! When I nearly fell, everything flared up. Trip plus driving, simmer down darlin' ;)

xoxo


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
:snork: You are kind of right @zauberflöte ...for the last few days Ive been trying to sort out travelling by train via the swiss alps into Geneva then Italy, because Ive booked a villa independently ( not a package tour) and its changing on 5 different legs of a journey by different trains, and I have to tie it all together so I don't miss connections etc . Its a bit of a headache and I keep hitting problems and having to juggle times about. Would be easier to do a pre-organised package tour or fly, but wheres the fun in that :) And my Daughter loves trains.

Anyway, Im cross-eyed with looking at it all so need a holiday to get over booking the holiday.:sos:

Hope you are ok? Im doing well:thumb: Back walking with no sticks in the house and one when out, and Im driving fine now with very minimal discomfort ( bit sore getting in and out the jeep though )

Im slightly fed up because I still cant sleep on my side ( still a bit sore ) and still need a pillow under my knees to sleep on my back so still not sleeping well and Im very tired. I seem to have come to a bit of a halt with the recovery:scratch: After going backwards at week 4 ( what is it with week 4? @Tweefishy , we all seem to get tetchy at that point) I suddenly got better, which I very much put down to following your pain med schedule @Josephine and I cant thank you enough for that..now its stopped again and while I haven't gone backwards, Ive not gone forwards much either.

I have my 6 week check next Friday with my Surgeon. Cant wait to see my new hip on xray:thumb:.

Went out for a meal this evening with my Daughter, after an hour I realised I was sat in a low seat without thinking about it:yikes:. You would think Id be more aware and worried seeing as Ive already dislocated once, but I do keep forgetting and automatically do things. Good in one way because Im not constantly thinking about my hip, but bad in another.

:scary:A big moth just flew in my bedroom window so I had to run out then:bolt:. I HATE MOTHS! Ive come back in and cant see it.:unsure: It's lurking, waiting for me to get settled with my 8 pillows, then its going to jump me.:skep:
 
I just love your posts @Kay9 ! They make me smiley :)
Sorry you can't yet sleep on your side-- I was four months, I think, before I had any luck, and I had anterior!!
Re this no progress thing, I seem to remember that for the first two weeks there was daily progress, then weekly progress for a month or more, then I really had to look back over the past month to notice progress till past six months. After that, there were just these aha moments where I realized I'd just done something I couldn't the day before. I made progress for 12 months, and then it was all settled in.
Sounds like a very exciting holiday!! All those trains, and the Alps!!!!!!


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
-hides his remote controlled moth.
Whilst I noticed your absence, tiz noted in register, I had no doubt you would be absorbed in some project many full able bodied people would find daunting.
Sheeesh woman you are.like ma daughter last year, off around Europe on trains. Mind you did get text help dad I'm stranded, 30 mins later I did get a ty for getting a hotel for me.
Everyone gets a wee plateau about six weeks, its the mark of sudden big improvements to small wee sneak up on you improvements.
Keep on rocking lass

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hello fellow hippie friends, I trust you are all well this fine evening:)

Im doing really well, had a full day off sticks and while slightly achy, nothing too bad. Im making a concerted effort not to limp, I only limp the first few steps when getting up from sitting. Touch wood, the sticks can now be put away. I have a pretty glittery pink stick:loveshwr:That folds up so I can put it in my bag and its there if needed when out, but Im going to try very hard not to go back to a stick now, if I can manage to. If I feel a need to go back to them though, its no biggie.

Suddenly I feel Im making big progress, thankfully. I wore my favorite jeans for the first time since surgery today, Ive been wearing sweat pants or palazzo trousers up till now, its amazing how good it feels to wear some of my "normal" clothes! The jeans didnt rub on my scar and my leg swelling is totally gone, so even though the jeans are a tight design, I had no problem wearing them. Made me feel a little more normal too. Wonder how long itll be before I can wear heels?

I have my holiday booked:happydance: London to Paris, Paris to Lille, Lille to Geneva, Geneva to Milan ( via the Alps) then Milan to Lake Como in Italy. All by rail. Day or so in each place then 2 weeks on Lake Como, then reverse the whole trip and back again. Am so excited:dancy:Its going to be quite a trip and I hope I have all the train times and connections right, Im not a very organised person at the best of times:scratch:. My Daughter is beyond excited:yes:, she loves Trains and Pizza:snork:. My ex Husband isnt so happy, sat with his head in his hands when he saw our intinary, said he wont sleep until we are safely back, because its " got disaster written all over it":blackcloud:Hes just jealous because he said he thinks he should come to help out but I said no way. my Mum and my brothers just sighed :sigh: I dont know why everyone has to be such downers about it, my Daughter and I will be just fine, we are going to treat it as an adventure and if anything doesnt go to plan we will cross that bridge when we get to it.

Im seeing my Surgeon on Friday, I want to walk in with no sticks so he can see what a fantastic job he did. Hes quite scary though:shocked: So I hope he doesnt tell me off for being stickless, surely it just proves what an excellent surgeon he is? Of course, on this unpredictable ever-changing hippy trip, anything can happen from now until then, I may be on sticks tomorrow even...Ive learned to take one day at a time and accept Im going to have good and bad days. Today is a GREAT day:egypdance:. Theres a Terrys Chocolate Orange with my name on it in the fridge, I may or may not scoff the lot in one sitting. And Im going to have just one glass of Tia Maria and coke.

To anyone reading this who is having a bad day...this mammoth journey DOES get easier, there have been times Ive thought Id never feel like "me" again, but today, for the first time, Im ME. And you will be YOU again:flwrysmile:
 
What a fabulous journey you have planned, I wish I could come with you.
 
That's a great day you had:wave:also it's sounds like a brilliant holiday too.I have always wanted to get to lake Como but haven't got there yet.

In my youth, well not long that long ago really, oh it was 7 yrs ago, time flies when getting past 35.....we used to ride to interlaken in Switzerland, every year, until the kids got old enough to not want to go, and preferred to drive themselves, in cars, much more sensible. I had one son on the back of my bike, and the older son on the back of the husband's, at the time. 2 weeks worth of clothes and 2 tents!!

Took 2 days getting there and very sore bums too, not good if it rained either.We camped, went water rafting, canyoning and all that stuff. We used to ride through the Alps from Interlaken to Italy and back, in a day and its just so beautiful. We all miss it loads..You will love it and trains actually run on time in Europe.

I do sometimes wonder if 30yrs of being pillion and then getting my own harley wore my hips out!! But just getting to Switzerland was worth it. I just love mountains...oh dear , reminiscing now. Not about ex husband though :gaah:

I am envious, When do you go? it truly will be a fantastic holiday :wowspring::flwrysmile: x
 
@Kay9 you are such a different persin from when you first came on here!! The release of pain will definitely do that, win't it?!! :)
Your holiday sounds absolute heaven, and I'm with Legin, hiding in your toiletries bag maybe...
@Suzette I read most of your post thinking you were doing all those travels in a BICYCLE!!!!!! Very relieved to learn you are actually human and haven't bicycled over the Alps and back with a child, tent, and clothes to boot!!! :lol:


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
@zauberflöte , I am happy to say never on a bicycle, I do have an image in my head now of a bicycle with a child seat strapped to back with a child in it going over the Swiss Alps.

Although there were quite a few families on bicycles getting on the ferry at Dover , getting off in France and getting on their way with some very small children on the back , now I could never even bicycle down the road without being in agony . I thought they were very brave.

Now @Kay9 has put ideas in my head.......
x
 
Hi @Suzette , :wowspring:A harly!! Love it:thumb: Riding a Harley through the Alps must have been amazing! I love the feeling of riding on a motorbike! Not that Ive ever actually been the driver. My Brother has a Triumph Bonneville 750cc and I often have lifts on it.

@Liznwiz yep, I cant wait! I NEED this trip!

@zauberflöte and @Legin ...oh, go on then, jump in the luggage. i wont tell if you dont:thumb: Yep @zauberflöte I do feel totally different to the confused, stressed person that joined here. Its been a hell of a year, losing my Dad, then losing my Dog, being told I need and then going through major surgery , becoming a Grandmother for the first time, all within months of each other, I didnt know if I was on my butt or my elbow! I feel Ive come out of a long tunnel and to my surprise there is no train at the end of it! And when there is, I will be boarding it to go off on an adventure:heehee:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Today while out shopping I popped into a Cafe. As I queued, I struck up a conversation with a young Woman who was calling over to her Mum, pointing to where the "higher seats" were. I looked over and recognised straight away she had had a THR. I told the Daughter Id had one and she asked me, because I had no sticks and walking normally, if I would mind going over and giving her Mum some encouragement because she was really depressed.
The Daughter and I went to the table and she introduced me, told her Id had a THR too, and that, see, it does get easier.
The Mum was on 2 crutches, struggling a lot, and wishing she had never had it done. Shes now on anti-depressants because shes so low. I tried encouraging her, told her I had felt exactly like she did, and that every day she will improve but to expect some days to backtrack, its the nature of this surgery. She knew nothing about Icing and elevating, hadn't been shown she could do the golfers bend, so I explained those. She is religiously doing exercises over and over but ending up in more pain . She asked me how long it took for me to reach the point I am now, and I said this last week, week 5 has been the first time Ive felt like ME, and am walking well without the sticks.
That was the wrong thing to say:sad: Because she told me this was week 8 for her, which must mean either something is wrong or she isnt trying hard enough. She was even more despondent and I felt awful .:sorry:.Ive told her there are many many people here on BoneSmart that are in similar positions to her, not everyone recovers at the same rate, begged her to STOP pushing on with exercises that cause her pain, and told her the bonesmart mantras.
She is going to be joining Bonesmart, her name is Kerry but I dont know what name she will post under, I know you will all give her a lovely welcome and help her though, I feel kind of responsible for her. I hope she joins, she is very down and needs the support, not to mention all the good mantras and to see she is not alone in being slow recovering.

Im doing great but dont want to post about that right now because I feel guilty.

Ive told Kerry to look for my Red Shoe avatar and give me a wave when she gets here:thumb: See you soon Kerry:console2:
 
@Kay9 what a sweet thing you did today. .....I hope she listens just a bit and backs off. I never knew to elevate and ice until I got here! ! My OS never mentioned it. I hope she joins so we can boost her up and help her out. Xo
 
Thanks @donor , I feel so bad for her, she doesnt seem to have any support, makes me realise how lucky we are to have this place to come to. I know Im not on here much, and when Im here its very much a hit and run post because Im on my Daughters IPad, but without this place I wouldnt know if I was on my butt or my elbow!

(See, auto-correct...I actually put BUTT this time. Saving you the job:cool: )
 
Oh @Kay9 , you have such a deep heart - encouraging Kerry to join Bonesmart and showing her your red shoe Avatar. That makes me feel warm. So there are nice people in this world. And please don't feel guilty about your rapid recovery. You deserve to feel good. You work hard and look after your family well.
You will enjoy the holiday in the Alpes. While I'm not so familiar with the Southern Swiss Alpes, I grew up with the Bavarian and Austrian Alpes because I lived in Munich as a child, and I often went walking in the mountains with my family at week-ends in summer and ski-ing in winter, like more or less all the people of Munich do. We also went on long holidays in Austria, for example the Lake of Millstadt in Carinthia, Austria, were we went canoeing on the lake. Hope the warm weather will hold. Today it'll be 32°C in the Frankfurt area. Best wishes - Constanze
 
Hmmmm did you do wrong. Well I'm sure it was hard for her to hear but the advise you gave wayyyyy out weighs any thing that she felt bad. Its sad how many people leave hospital with little real information on how to recover. I also had little info but a whole host of sport related injuries have given me the experience. So oh red shoed one don't beat yourself up you did right, only change in hindsight is younask first how far people are on. But as in have said many thousands of times hindsight is a grand thing if used before the problem.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom