Guest viewing is limited

THR Kay9s Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had such a foggy brain that I was terrified to put myself on the road! No pain driving, old Volvo wagon very roomy, but brain not there!
So I drove around the neighborhood for a few days starting at 5 weeks, knowing I would HAVE to be safe to drive 40 minutes on interstate to get to 8 week OS appointment.
First time I took myself grocery shopping, I nearly passed out while checking out! Sheer nerves and adrenaline-- things got MUCH better after that, and that 8 week OS visit was not overly scary. Exhausting, yes!
I am not a "driven" person, and thoroughly enjoyed reading, playing here, watching HOURS of Netflix, and falling asleep whenever it happened. Blissful!


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
I've just caught up on your post and your recovery is amazing! I am a taxi driver so driving was extremely important to me. From most posts on Bonesmart that I've read, most Dr's just say when you can do a hard brake and are off pain meds, you can drive. My first THR was the right hip in November. At 3 wks, I drove around my neighborhood and was pleasantly surprised I had no trouble driving. However, I still needed my pain meds for awhile. At 5 wks, I was driving short distances to store and such. At 6 wks, I was back to work but could only drive for a few hours. A few in the morning, a 3 hr break, then a few more in the afternoon. At 8 wks, I was driving full time, 8 to 10 hrs a day. That is until my left hip started in. I had my LTHR on April 17, both were posterior approach. I was driving short distances at 3 wks, back to work at 4 wks, full time at 6 wks. Unless you need a Dr's release to drive, I would go ahead and try it if you feel confident. I am so independent I would not, could not, tolerate anyone taking my car, no matter what the reason. But that's just me. I would lovingly ask my family to please trust me and to give me back my car keys, or else, LOL.
 
Thankyou everyone for your input on the driving thing:thumb: Its good to hear when/how others here started to drive.

@Midchild54 , Im getting more and more annoyed at the car situation, I must admit. My sister took the car while I was in the hospital with the dislocation and at the time I wasnt bothered, but now, its starting to make me feel like a kid. My sister has always been a bit like that with me, even though Im the eldest ( Ive got 3 brothers and 3 sisters) shes a very strong character and they all kind of treat me as if Im the loose cannon of the family. Anyway, I getting it back on Wednesday apparently:yes: Ive insisted.

Hey Ho Hey ho, its off to the pub we go.....:cheers:
 
Yay for driving privledges!!! ;^)
 
In the sun I take sounds and ironing outside and boogie iron, hipbop hoover and jazz up the bathroom.
 
:snork: I can imagine you doing that @Legin . But no matter how much the sun is shining or how good the music, i hate ironing, and only do it when I really have to, grumpily, inside.

Walked to the pub, and back, and, even more progress...with only one stick!:thumb: Then this evening I walked right around the village, in a big circle, through all the little lanes and bridle-paths, I did take the two sticks then because of the uneven ground, it took me around 30 minutes and I only had to stop twice. Im very very pleased..no..over-joyed , with my progress. After all my initial setbacks, I have to say that, apart from the boredom, my recovery is a doddle!:wow:.

Im not using sticks in the house at all now. I do limp slightly without them though. Its not pain, just weakness in the operated leg. Im in zero pain. Slight pain today when I didnt take my pain meds for 9 hours but hey, thats to be expected. Usually though, zero pain.

I can do all the housework, change bedding, hang washing out ( with a little awkwardness lol) and do pretty much everything I could do before. Except paint toenails or anything that involves lifting the leg to beyond 90 degrees.

I never would have thought this would be such an easy recovery at just 3 weeks today. I do kind of get worried about over-doing it but I guess my body will tell me if that happens. Ive read the activity progression links on here, and I think Im slightly ahead of the game with that, @Josephine is it detrimental to recovery to be doing a 30 minute walk outside at this stage, if I feel I can do it easily? I wont lose the other stick outside just yet. I want to be as active as I can but I don't want to do my hip any damage.

I feel good. Tired but good:thumb:
 
Chortle, nice one. You are doing it about right listening to body and hey gentle walking is fine. Soo much is how we are within ourselves and well you are a half full type person so ya have a head start. Keep smiling, here for you on icky days.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Kay9 wowee zoweees!! You are just whizzing along, and you deserve every second of joy and exhilaration you get! Look out world, here comes Kay9!!!!!!!!


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Thanks @Legin :thumb: This will be the very first place I come if I have any icky days....although Im planning on having none.:fingersx:

@zauberflöte thankyou, that made me chuckle as well as being a nice thing to say:)

Today I walked 4 houses down, with NO sticks:yes!:. Baring in mind I had to walk down all the stone steps to first get out onto the street, Im soooooo pleased with myself! I was very conscious about trying to walk smoothly and not limping, and I mostly managed it, just a very slight limp I think on the way back. Im also consciously trying to stand tall and upright, it makes my back hurt a bit but I guess thats because Ive got so used to walking kind of stooped over when I had my bad hip. My back was the only pain I felt when walking without the sticks.

Ive decided my Surgeon must surely be some kind of genius, for me to be recovering so fast. What he lacked in " social skills" he certainly made up for in "surgical skills" ! I hardly even had a bruise! My incision is amazing too. Its just as well he doesn't look like Jon Bon Jovi otherwise I would be arrested for stalking, Im that in awe of him!

The only thing thats putting me off about having my other hip done, is if the same thing happens with the low BP and I end up not being able to have a GA....I really DONT want to hear the surgery like I did this time, I did find it slightly traumatic. Apart from that, if my recovery when I have the other one done is this easy, Im laughing!:yes:

Im looking at holidays, for the first time in 15 years. Have to get passports sorted too. My youngest Daughter has decided on a cruise:yikes:. I was thinking more of a week away to Italy :snork: Maybe we can compromise and go on a Gondola in Venice. :cool:
 
Knowing you it would be kayaking up the amazon. I'm sure you will pick something that suits your needs and love of life

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Legin OMG, I would kill to be able to go kayaking up the Amazon!:kayak:The closest I get to the Amazon is ordering from Amazon.co.uk! Maybe I can put kayaking onto my bucket list:thumb:

Hi @zauberflöte , no flirting with Gondoliers yet..:wink: But flirting with the idea of flirting with some.:yes:

Ive had a small setback yesterday because I tripped over a rug and fell over, kind of twisted and jarred my hip. I was doing really well and totally off the sticks, then yesterday had to go back to using 2 sticks for the rest of the day:sad:. Today Im on one stick and still pretty sore but Im not letting it get me down too much, Im sure I will soon be improving again. Its ironic really...I have my car back and yesterday was going to have a little go to see how I got on driving down the driveway. Then I fell so didnt even practice trying to get in the car, maybe if I feel a little less sore tomorrow I will just sit in it, Im really not sure if its even possible in a Jeep without breaking the 90degree restrictions. Ive been desperate to get the car back, now I have and haven't felt well enough to try it. Typical.

My Mum came back to stay to "look after me" :dubious: yesterday, bless her. Hopefully I will be a lot less sore and a lot more mobile tomorrow and we can try to get back to normal a bit. I feel like a little girl having my Mummy look after me, she told me off because I bit my tongue when I was eating and I swore. She said " may God forgive you for such terrible language!" Good job she wasnt around when I fell over:censored::snork:.

Off for a shower then Ice and bed for me:thumb:
 
Ooo so sorry you fell! You'll be fine, ice and rest, a few days and you will be back on track again! :)


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Chortle, can just imagine your face when mamaa told you off. Hmm do you do the Reggie Perin thing of picturing people and events in errr a direct but funny way in head.
OK re fall. Am I surprised, nay. Really glad it just seems to be a jolt but be careful please.
Re Jimmy. Only way to check 90 thing is try, but at first push seat right back so feet can stick out a tad. Ooooooops, see just thought of Fred Flintstone and feet sticking out thru bottom of car.
Have a better day and listen to mama. Guffaw


Legin THR Sep 14
 
Much better today, and I drove!:yes!: Only to the nearest shop about 15 mins away, but I feel so good about it!

The main issue was getting the seat sorted out. I had to put it right back to get in, then couldnt put it back forwards because to do that I would have had to lean forward past 90 degrees to reach the lever under the seat. And I couldnt drive with the seat back because my feet wouldnt reach the pedals. So I had to pull the seat forward more and try to get in without violating the restrictions, which was a bit of a struggle but I just about did it. It means Im a little further back from the steering wheel than I normally drive but it was ok.

I had a cushion on the seat, but even then Im just at 90 degrees. I hope thats ok? Ive read that I can go UP TO 90 degrees as long as I dont go over it so Im assuming its ok. Maybe @Josephine you could reassure me that its ok please if you have time?

I cant tell you how good it is to be driving! Some independence back! Nobody at the hospital mentioned informing my Insurance company about my op so I didnt, Im only taking Paracetomol as from today ( will see how I get on with that) and I dont need to use my operated leg to drive (automatic gears) so I think providing I dont break any restrictions, Im good to go:thumb:

Going to have a little lay down & rest for an hour now. Feeling very satisfied:yes:
 
Sheeesh all I can do is chortle whilst shaking head. You should be fine with insurance as you say good leg is doing all the work. I still have a feeling its 6weeks but hey insurance co will do anything to weasle out. Just be careful

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Reality check :lol: that is quite an image. I see you in a movie star head scarf, dark glasses, and scattering chickens and sheep where'er ye goest!!
Do be careful, i see your dilemma with the car seat! Glad no lasting pain from your fall :)


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom