THR Kay9s Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even I didn't scatter chickens going thru glasgee iin A tr4 with flying helmet on and scarfffff

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Legin yep I kind of thought it was 6 weeks too, but then I wondered if it was 3 months because Ive got 3 months of restrictions, but I convinced myself it was ok seeing as nobody told me to inform insurance? I think your probably right though, that because my operated leg isnt "involved" with my driving at all, it shouldn't make a difference?:fingersx:

@copsham I wish I could afford champagne in the back:martini: But Im more of Lambrini type, unfortunately:). As for Gondoliers, lol, Id be hard pressed to find one here no matter how hard I looked....men in Tractors, yes...men in Gondolas, no:umm:But I can dream:cool:

@zauberflöte :heehee:That image made me chuckle. But I dont think Im going to be wearing high heels for quite some time yet. Never say never though:)

Having a bit of groin pain tonight and my incision is a bit sore, possibly payback for sitting a bit awkwardly when driving? Or maybe because Ive only taken Paracetamol today and left off the Tramadol all day. I have just taken 2 Tramadol now, seeing as Im not going to be driving anywhere at this hour and am about to go to bed. I think I have to admit Ive probably overdone it a little.

Im meeting friends for lunch tomorrow, only locally so will be walking, so will see what the pains like in the morning and decide then what meds to take.

My Mum HAS to go home tomorrow, I love her to bits and shes trying her best but she makes me feel just like I did when I was a kid if I was naughty! She called me a " silly girl" today!:sigh: Then she told me the colour top I had on made me look " drained". Then I was too thin. Then said she didnt like my hair down, prefers it when its up. Finally I said " say something nice about me Mum! " and she said " I like the curtains" :unsure:. I remember now why I left home at 16:hairpulling:

If its not one thing its your Mother:eyebrows:
 
3.40am and Im awake with stabbing groin pain. It started slightly last evening, gradually getting worse through-out the day, it suddenly "stabs" and makes me catch myself. By this evening it hurt every time I walked. Has anybody any Idea what this could be? Im back on Tramadol and Paracetomal and back to using 2 sticks.

Cant believe this:sad:. I was doing so well, now coming up to 4 weeks post op and Ive gone backwards it seems. Is it too much walking? The angle of the seat when I drove? Or is this normal post op pain that raises its head now and then? Thanks in advance for any advice, Im a bit worried Ive possibly caused long term problems by not resting enough now, which is totally avoidable and very stupid of me:headbang:
 
Just woken up and read this.Hope you have managed to get the pain under control.Do you think you may have been pushing yourself too much and this is a way of your body saying slow down? I had my op at the same time as you and really know when I have overdone things as it is still early days. Just rest up today and take it easy,hard as that may sound.
 
Sounds like those tetchy quads. If it remains on Mind get it checked but it does sound like it. Thing is if it is muscle it takes a while, when I first was told about the clam exercise by PT indie a.Leginism and massively over did it. Woooof the next day. The last time I felt like that was in rugby playing days when, got in the way of a foot.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I had a cushion on the seat, but even then Im just at 90 degrees. I hope thats ok? Ive read that I can go UP TO 90 degrees as long as I dont go over it so I'm assuming its ok. Maybe @Josephine you could reassure me that its ok please if you have time?
I always have time, petal! Since lots is surgeons don't impose these restrictions anyway, I'd say yes, it's okay.
3.40am and Im awake with stabbing groin pain. It started slightly last evening, gradually getting worse through-out the day, it suddenly "stabs" and makes me catch myself.
Can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?
Please note the instructions in the smaller image

[Bonesmart.org] Kay9s Recovery


[Bonesmart.org] Kay9s Recovery



And sorry, but I'm going to ask you some questions again - and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] Kay9s Recovery
)
Also don't forget to include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

5. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often?

Can you detail it like this
At physio or PT
First description - 5 reps x 2 sets
Second description - 10 reps x 2 sets

At home
First description - 5 reps x 2 sets 3 session a day
Second description - 10 reps x 2 sets 3 sessions a day
 
Hi @Josephine thanks for replying. For some reason the charts showing where my pain may be dont load properly for me, I just get a little box with a ? In it. Ive looked on others posts to see if I can see the chart, to give you exact position, but it doesnt load on any of them?

The pain is deep in the groin, and slightly aching down the front of the thigh, Im sorry I cant be more specific.

I had Posterior on June 15th.

Pain probably around a 3 at the moment, the stabbing pain in the groin comes suddenly and can be about 7-8 then go again back to around 3. I have mild pain in the incision area of around a 3

Im taking Tramadol 50mg every 6 hours, and Paracetamol 500mg every 6 hours. I stagger it, so take the Tramadol then 3 hours later the Paracetamol etc.

My activity level...I do moderate housework ( washing floor, polishing, bed changing, washing, hanging washing out, .not much cooking, ready meals mainly at the moment but clearing up after etc.

I don't do exercises as such, but I walk a lot, probably 2 walks a day of around 30 mins a time, sometimes one walk. im in and out of the house a lot, some shopping, socialising, visiting family etc. Im pretty busy, was walking without any aids until 2 days ago when I drove for the first time, then started getting groin pain that evening? I dont know if thats coincidence though. From then I went back to 2 sticks. Today Im on one stick but limping.

Thanks @Josephine for your help, sorry I cant be more detailed about the pain area.

Eta..i cancelled a lunch out today because of this, which is really really unlike me, so I guess I must be feeling pretty rough, lol.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason the charts showing where my pain may be dont load properly for me, I just get a little box with a ? In it
Are you on a mobile device? Can you see other pictures like smileys and such - or this? If you not, perhaps you have an image blocker that needs switching off, like AdBlocker

[Bonesmart.org] Kay9s Recovery


Pain probably around a 3 at the moment, the stabbing pain in the groin comes suddenly and can be about 7-8 then go again back to around 3. I have mild pain in the incision area of around a 3
okay
The pain is deep in the groin, and slightly aching down the front of the thigh, I'm sorry I cant be more specific.
I'm taking Tramadol 50mg every 6 hours, and Paracetamol 500mg every 6 hours. I stagger it, so take the Tramadol then 3 hours later the Paracetamol etc.
That'll do - and your problem is that you're not taking enough pain meds. You're only 4 weeks out and it's temping to think you should be about done with the recovery thing. Well you're not and the pain you are experiencing is just plain ol' post-op pain! What you need to do is take the Tramadol and the paracetamol together.

The routine I used for my TKR was this
8am: 50mg T+2 P
12md: 50mg T+1P
4pm: 100mg T
8pm: 50mg T+2P
12mn: 100mg T+2P
4am: 50mg T+2P
That brings your daily total to Tramadol 400mgs and paracetamol 4,000mg which is the daily maximum for each

Obviously the Tramadol will make you drowsy but it's a small price to pay for being pain free. You may only need to do this for a week or two and then the pain will begin to subside and you can play around with reducing the meds.
My activity level...I do moderate housework (washing floor, polishing, bed changing, washing, hanging washing out. Not much cooking, ready meals mainly at the moment but clearing up after etc.
Hmm perhaps a little too much. Did you read the recovery articles? Specially this one Activity progression for THRs
I don't do exercises as such, but I walk a lot, probably 2 walks a day of around 30 mins a time, sometimes one walk. im in and out of the house a lot, some shopping, socialising, visiting family etc. Im pretty busy, was walking without any aids until 2 days ago when I drove for the first time, then started getting groin pain that evening? I dont know if thats coincidence though. From then I went back to 2 sticks. Today Im on one stick but limping.
No coincidence, you're definitely too much. You need to rest a lot more - a LOT more. Y9ou'll have plenty of time for all that socialising and such. Right now your most important project is YOU! Just another few weeks, 4 or 5 at the most, and you'll feel a different woman!
 
Thanks a lot @Josephine , I can usually see all the pictures, Im on an Ipad, but for some reason I can only see some now.
Ive written your schedule of pain meds down & will try doing it that way. Ive just noticed Im almost out of Paracetamol ( I know they can only sell a certain amount at the same time but it makes things a little harder for me if I cant drive to the nearest shop to buy them) but I have Co-Codemal here, would they do or is that no good?
Do you think I would be ok to drive?

I realise ive been doing too much...I hope anyone reading this who is doing similar takes notice of my stupidity. Its too easy to feel you can steam ahead with this recovery, but you pay for it in the end. I got ahead of myself big-time. I felt pretty amazing, walking with no aids, rushing around, I was thinking " well, this is a doddle!" ....I was wrong. Not the first time Ive been wrong and it wont be the last:).

I will do much more resting ( as much as my Daughter allows...my Mum has gone home now) and look after myself better now.

Thankyou everyone who replied to my post, I appreciate your input and will take note.:)
 
Im almost out of Paracetamol ( I know they can only sell a certain amount at the same time but it makes things a little harder for me if I cant drive to the nearest shop to buy them) but I have Co-Codamal here, would they do or is that no good?
It would be ill-advised to use co-codamol as it has codeine in it and you shouldn't mix codeine with Tramadol. What I've done in the past is to take 2 boxes of paracetamol our of one check-out, go back in the store and get two more through another checkout and then do it a third time! It's a daft regulation anyway!
Do you think I would be ok to drive?
The principle criterion for driving is that you can do an emergency stop without hesitation.
The groin pain is around D, R3F...the thigh pain is E,R2F.
That's where I though it was = definitely post-op pain.
 
@Kay9 upper groin pain I have exactly same as your locations. Boo!
 
@Kay9
You poor dear~ I let out a sigh when i read all that you are doing~ I don't know what it is about week 4 but I and many other hippies hit a wall for a few days and had to rest elevate ice and take meds. Stay patient! You will get there soon! :elevate:
 
@Kay9
Oh one more thing! You are not stupid for overdoing it! We all do! Glad your mom is heading home and out of your hair for a while~ I am sure you are as beautiful as the spirit that comes thru in your posts! :curtsey:
 
Thankyou @Josephine thats put my mind at rest, I haven't done any permanent damage then. Oh good call with the Paracetamol :thumb:, I don't know why I didn't think of that! I will be doing that now :yes:

@donor sorry you have pain too, at least we both know its only post-op pain now:thumb:

@Sullivand we could be called the "4 week club"...i bet there would be many members! I wonder why that week is significant?
And thankyou for such lovely words, you are very kind and say such sweet things, its lovely of you:flwrysmile:

Thankyou @forestje for your post too, I hope you are doing ok? And @Legin , as always. ( do you never sleep? No matter what time I post, you seem to be here, are you superman?:egypdance:
 
@Kay9, I am also 4 weeks tomorrow, actually today, Friday I felt like I turned the corner for the best and after reading all your post I'm sorry for all your pain, so far so good for me, fingers crossed!!
Pain Med: I have only been taking a 7.5 hydrocodone at night, curious if I should take it in the day...never know what to do!! I feel like you are so ahead of me in everything you are doing, I've probably only been out of my house a handful of times, I walk around the house but definitely not 30 minutes twice a day but I do my PT exercises at least twice a day!! I just don't want to be behind; however, PT continues to remind me I am still healing from my first THR from March!!
So continue to rest, ice and heal!! I'll be thinking and praying for you!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Kay9
This roller coaster that we are on drives me mad, tantalised by the peaks and ticked of by the troughs! I understand your fears I was always thinking have I dislocated it have I done damage. All I can say is my lovely hip has been truly tested and is firm and strong. Hope you can pace yourself and get well quickly.

@Josephine I have the image of all of us going round the checkouts three times to get our paracetomol It is a strange law lots of things can kill us but no restrictions on thir sale.
 
In Scotland we have no perscription charges and I get paracetamol on script 400 at a time. Having worked with young people and unfortunately had tto deal with excess paracetamol taking the rule of 2 packs per transaction is ineffectual. In any given shopping centre how many outlets sell paracetamol. Two boxes purchased in the diff shops the law in effect hasn't been broken. @Kay9 its just a wee wake up call. Just gradually bring back all activities. Oh I checked haven't got red pant and blue tights. Once went to a themed party of super hero's from fiction or own creation. I went as........... Is it a burst hot air balloon, is it a meteorite on collision course nooo its Oooooooooopsieman

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Thanks for the edit who ever did it I had the feeling it was not right but 30 hours post op couldn,t get my head around it
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom