Guest viewing is limited

THR Kay9s Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Kay9 I had my left hip done March 2nd and my right hip june 15th, I was very nervous having them done so close together but I must say I'm so happy I did!! I'm still healing on the right even though it'll be 5 months soon, I've heard it usually takes a full year to totally recoup from surgery, might as well heal both close together!! My suggestion (for what it's worth) is do it now, be done and begin the healing process!! Why wait till your hip is worse and you won't be able to travel....do it now, call tomorrow and get moving on the process!!
I'm praying for you to make your decision soon and get the monkey off your back!! Good luck girlie!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks @PDA , I appreciate that. I think Im going to go for it:thumb: And just :prayer: that my recovery will be as good as this one. The thought of going through it all again so soon makes me feel almost like crying, but I think its probably going to be best to get it over and done with.

I have a question for anyone that can help, possibly @Josephine or anyone who knows about muscles ( not the type you eat:heehee:)

I went out to a Deer Park with my friend yesterday, we were gone all day and it involved lots and lots of walking up and down hills on rugged ground, not one iota of pain from my hip:), it held up SO well! But as we were walking down a steep incline, both legs began to hurt, and once at the bottom I noticed both legs were shaking:what:. We carried on and had a lovely day, but when I woke up this morning, I was crippled! I mean, literally!:shocked:. I could not stand without intense pain in both calves, and as for walking, forget it! I could barely take a step. Now I can walk, very slowly, holding onto things and only if I take tiny steps and dont bend my legs.:unsure:. Its really REALLY painful.
Im guessing its because Im not used to strenuous walking anymore? How unfit must I be!:boohoo:. I used to walk miles and miles.

How long will this last, have I caused any longterm damage, and what can I do to ease the pain please? Ive never had muscle pain this bad, but I guess the silver lining is that my new hip is good, strong and not a twinge of pain.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jo will come along soon and have information for you. But I can tell you that you've simply overdone it....too much too soon. It's almost always the case that the pain (and any swelling) comes in the 24 to 48 hours after the activity. So what you're experiencing is normal. You are still in recovery at only 6 weeks out.

You have not damaged your hip, so don't worry about that. But you have set your recovery into "pause" mode while you regroup from your outing. It's time to go back to the old BoneSmart mantra......plenty of rest, ice, elevation and medication for the pain. It may take up to a couple of weeks to get back to where you were.

As you start back feeling better remember to increase activity gradually. This was your downfall....you leaped right in to a full day of walking and activity without building up to it slowly.
 
Thanks @Jamie , i thought thats probably what it was:sad:.
Aarrgghhhh. Im so stupid!:headbang:. What a total tool! I never learn:nah:
 
Well, let me tell you that you have a lot of excellent company in the Over Do It Club (ODIC)......:heehee:. It's something most of us experience in some fashion. But we recovered. And you will too. Just take extra special good care of yourself for a while.
 
Thanks @Jamie :). Im happy...kind of...to now be a member of the ODIC:snork:. I just wish it hurt less to be a member:skep:
 
@Kay9 - for your consolation: Your legs are just exhausted. It can happen to everybody - even those who haven't had any surgery. After you have had a rest and just taken it easy for 2 days or so - I'm sure the pain will subside and you will feel fine again. Then you can carry on enjoying your new hip and - maybe - even enjoy a wee bit of exercise and other activities again :) (smile) Constanze
 
Thanks @Constanze :). Never expected this, was saying all the time " my hip isnt hurting one bit, it feels so good!" And then here I am laid up with pain because of my calves!:doh:Who would have thunk it.

Lesson learned.:sorry:
 
Hi @Kay9, I also had the calf muscle pain, mine was from deciding to have a go on my mini exercise bike...I forgot I had calf muscles, but only one hurt!! It's stopped telling me it's there now, took a couple of days. I have thigh muscle ache instead, I can't sit still and I can't sleep either. I am driving myself mad.
Am now having a lie down with the old ice packs..so I too am in the ODIC. .

when are you going to let the OS know you are going to go for hip number 2?

X
 
or anyone who knows about muscles ( not the type you eat:heehee:)
Prepared especially for you! :rofsign:
[Bonesmart.org] Kay9s Recovery


But as we were walking down a steep incline, both legs began to hurt, and once at the bottom I noticed both legs were shaking:what:. We carried on and had a lovely day, but when I woke up this morning, I was crippled!
The shaking is lactic acidosis meaning you demanded more of your leg muscles than they were presently capable of giving. It can take quite a while for this situation to reverse itself but it's just a chemical imbalance and usually temporary.

Just to show that no-one's immune from this kind of stupidity, let me tell you what happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I recently started back at the gym to try and build up some stamina. Started small - 10 minutes on the treadmill. Went every other day and by the end of the week was on 20 minutes. So added 10 minutes on the bike. That went well so a few days later I added 5 minutes on the elliptical. Enjoyed my 5 minutes though it took some determination but when I got off the machine, my legs had turned to jelly and my knees kept giving way under me! For about 15 minutes, I couldn't leave the machine, was just sitting on it and wondering how the heck I was going to get out home! Finally, I decided to just lock my knees in extension and waddle out, holding on to machines as I passed. But when I got to the door, the 50 yards to my car looked like a mile so I had to get a member of staff to walk me to the car - I felt so stupid and at least 108! I didn't recover from that until the next morning! It was a really scary experience only mediated by knowing what had happened and that it was nothing serious.

So you see, you're not the only one!
 
@Kay9 Woo hoo, happy you have decided to move ahead and do your other hip, I too, was a little nervous to do my hips so close together but very happy they are both behind, I am very greatful I only have two hips, lol lol You really will do great, I feel I did much better the second time!! I'll be looking to see when you are having your other hip and I'll definitely keep you in my prayers!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well done @Kay9
I knew you would but you were right to consider it carefully before taking the plunge!

Oh well another round of getting prepared again. Red shoes will need to be put away to be got out a few weeks later LOL! Take care!
 
Hi @Suzette, welcome to our elite club:yes:, hope your thigh pain soon eases off.
I have an appointment with my GP first thing in the morning ( if I can move my legs to get there) because even though it was my OS that said about doing the other hip, it has to go through my GP for the referral process, which is silly really but hey, thats how its done. The OS told me to make the appointment that day in his office so that we take into consideration the waiting period, which would be around 8 weeks, so I made it then and there. Maybe my GP can give me something for my muscle strain, and my Diverticulitis, and my insomnia, :thumb: Hes gonna be glad to see the back of me I think :heehee:

:rofsign:Thankyou @Josephine for my muscles. I could not eat them if I was paid a million pounds :eeeuw: Just looking at them made me pull a face! So although Im grateful, I think I,ll pass, so Im sending them back to you:)

Im sorry, I dont mean to laugh at you pain, but that post cracked me up:snork: I can picture the scene. And that someone with your knowledge still pushed it too far makes me feel a little less stupid. If you can do it, anyone can.:wink: Yes Im walking with my knees locked...well, I say walking, but I can only take 2-3 steps at a time. This is far more painful than recovering from surgery ! It feels worse as the hours go on, so hope it starts clearing up tomorrow, Ive got places to go, people to see:snork:.

Thanks @PDA, prayers are always welcome:SUNsmile:. And like you, I was thinking "so glad I only have 2 hips!"....but then I though, some people have a revision, or 2 !! Dont even go there!:bignono:

Hi @copsham , the red shoes are going to be stored for a very long time at this rate:bawl:. Although I do have a very fetching pair of red sparkly flats...not the same as a nice heel though:sigh:. The way Im working it though is that if Im not having the other hip done till say, September/October, I may be able to wear heels for a few weeks before I go in?:fingersx::thumb::snork:.
Although at this moment in time, just to walk without pain, never mind whats on my feet, would be a bonus:skep:.
 
This is my third joint replacement and I still can't get past the med stigma, although I can sing the mantra in my sleep. When I had to call my OS to get a refill for oxycodone I had this weird guilt. But he filled it - of course - and now even at just 3 weeks I take 5 mgs every 4 hours starting late AM but it ends up I only take it about 3 times a day. I do time it every 4 hours during the day and can keep up a level of activity that makes me feel more human, and let's me do the PT, which is gentle but a challenge just the same. It is an individual journey for sure. I do also find that when I let all the life stressors in (calls from work, family demands, etc) my pain is harder to manage.
 
Greetings and felicitations to you lassie. Really sorry to hear about the muscle pain. We often forget about the fact that the other leg is also prone to lack of use in recovery. Then we push it and it says Oi see you jimmette.
Well done on making the decision it really is for the best. Just think in a matter of.months no more arthritic pain and just normal life. Thou I do dare anyone to specifically define normal...... Errrr in my case, tee tum.tree.
Keep smiling lass those red shoes are a heck of a lot closer than you think.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @Buddhabear its wrong isnt it, that we feel even slightly ashamed when we have to ask for more pain meds:nah:.
I notice in your signature you had 2 knee replacements barely more than a month apart! Thats incredible!:shocked:. I take my hat off to you. Theres me saying 3 months between hip replacements is too soon!

@Legin when I read that you said "see you Jimmette" it make me smile:) . My Dad ALWAYS said "see yooo jimmy" and it was very much his catch-phrase. ( he was from Kelty, Fife) It was such a part of him, that when I gave the eulogy at his funeral I ended it by saying " see yooo jimmy!":cry: But whenever I hear anyone say it, it reminds me of him and makes me smile.:yes:
 
I'm a few miles from Kelty I'm.Kinross

Legin THR Sep 14
 
A smile is the best reward

Legin THR Sep 14
 
smiling is the best reward... x
@Legin I do hope you don't mind me saying, but your new doggy piccie is side ways :snork: well I think it is !!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom