Guest viewing is limited

TKR KathyH New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay, for you, Kathy! Getting back to work is the beginning of getting your old life back. I'm not going to lie, it wasn't easy at first, but every day got a bit easier. I'm so sorry that you have had such a tough time, but so glad that things are looking brighter for you! Hugs!
 
Yeah back to work:yay: ...aww back to work:sad: it is a mixed feeling. It's good to be back to the world and feeling necessary but bad because you find how much you can swell if you aren't icing and elevating all day anymore.
Best of luck to you!
 
Glad your going back to work went well. And so glad your knee is behaving. Big hugs my friend, you sure have come a long way. Hugs!
 
Brownie51 for the gravity knee bend - lie down on the bed with your operated leg straight up in the air and let your knee bend naturally with gravity. Try and relax as much as you possibly can, otherwise the knee won't bend all it should. Hold the position leading up to a couple of minutes if possible.
 
Had another physio session before work this morning. Got to 85 myself at the end, although it certainly looked 90 to me, so rather disappointed, but hey, progressing albeit very slowly and surely.

Got up at the crack of dawn on Friday for my early morning physio appointment at the hospital. I got caught up in traffic and was 15 minutes late, so she refused to see me :hissy: Have to wait for another week now.

Knee is certainly feeling a lot 'looser' lately and when sitting I am definitely bending the knee more. Even sitting at my desk, doesn't give me much trouble. A little stiff when I first stand up, but only for a few seconds, so can't complain.

The snow, as forecast, is falling steady now, though thankfully not settling at the moment. Praying it stays that way. Scares me stiff driving in the snow and my journey to and from work is 22 miles each way.
 
YAY! For the progress Kathy! It looks like your knee is starting to cooperate with a little less stiffness!

I always hated seeing snow come down when I was working as well! Even though we drive cautiously, some fool out there likes to put everyones life in their hands!:hairpulling: Have a safe trip back home!
 
Had another physio session before work this morning. Got to 85 myself at the end, although it certainly looked 90 to me, so rather disappointed, but hey, progressing albeit very slowly and surely.



The snow, as forecast, is falling steady now, though thankfully not settling at the moment. Praying it stays that way. Scares me stiff driving in the snow and my journey to and from work is 22 miles each way.

Don't sweat those numbers---let your focus simply be on improving---slowly and subtly you will get better ROM! Numbers are quantitative---focus on the qualitative!

Here where I live in Ohio we can get lots of snow---we had about 16 inches a while back, and I am glad that I have a four-wheel drive truck! I certainly understand how you feel!
 
Brownie51 for the gravity knee bend - lie down on the bed with your operated leg straight up in the air and let your knee bend naturally with gravity. Try and relax as much as you possibly can, otherwise the knee won't bend all it should. Hold the position leading up to a couple of minutes if possible.
:iagree:

I did this with ankle weights---I would lie with my legs hanging over the edge of the couch and dangle them---with ankle weights---and let gravity do the work. I started with small amounts of weights and gradually added more weight. It worked quite well!
 
Good work Kathy, glad you are seeing progress. It's all about function for the lifestyle you want, not so much the numbers. Keep ding what you're doing since it seems to be working!

Congrats and be well my friend,

Dawn
 
When we all came here pre-op we were all so scared and troubled, and now we are all really on the mend even though it does take time.
Marvelous the change in us all.
 
When we all came here pre-op we were all so scared and troubled, and now we are all really on the mend even though it does take time.
Marvelous the change in us all.

Ladyj: That is so reassuring to those of us who are just beginning! You guys are all so awesome! Thanks so much for all of your encouragement and compassion! It does make the waiting a bit easier (just a bit!!!). I can't wait until I'm on the other side helping those coming after me!
 
Not long for you now then Dewey and you will sooner be over on this side. I think I would have driven myself (and everyone else :heehee: ) insane if I hadn't found this site before my TKR. The information, support, encouragement, etc. is just, well, beyond all words :)
 
Ladyj: That is so reassuring to those of us who are just beginning! You guys are all so awesome! Thanks so much for all of your encouragement and compassion! It does make the waiting a bit easier (just a bit!!!). I can't wait until I'm on the other side helping those coming after me!

You will be just as awesome as us, Dewey. We were gibbering wrecks when we came here first, or at least I was. I was making myself quite ill with worry about the operation, would I be able to cope with the pain, would it work, would I be able to walk again etc etc etc
It is a hard road, but you get through it, and the results are life transforming. It does take a while, to get your strength back, to build up muscles that haven't worked properly for years and to suddenly find that yes you are doing things you thought you would never do again.
The next couple of weeks will soon pass, and then you will be on the road to recovery.
You will need help and support, and you will find plenty of that here.
 
Kathy I'm glad you are progressing. I agree with the others about trying not to think about the number and just getting those quads to relax so you can get more flexion. Gosh that's silly not to see you just for 15 min. seems like she wanted a little break herself!
 
Reached 95 degree bend in physio this morning. Yay :yay: At five months I know I am way behind, but this is my best so far. Baby steps, but still progress. Happy with that so far.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom