TKR KathyH New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again Kathy. Our minds are in overdrive wondering what is wrong. You were so looking forward to MUA and starting to recover your ROM. If you dont want to post on the boards maybe you could inbox one of us and leave a message to pass on. It is very frustrating not to hear from a member you followed and are very concerned about. It would be so good to hear from you one way or another.:)
 
[Bonesmart.org] KathyH New Knee
Pat is right, we NEED to hear from you, however briefly. PLEASE let us know something.
 
Hi friends,

I did hear from Kathy. She is okay, the MUA went fine. She said she was overwhelmed with the holidays and a lot of family at her home, hence no update. I'm sure she will post soon with the details.

Be well,

Dawn
 
Heavens, dear friends, I am sitting here very red faced with all the worrying comments on here and I apologise most profusely for not posting an update sooner. I have only come on here twice recently - once to reply quickly to Dawn's PM and another quick one to Rita.

With the MUA being so close to Christmas, the timing was difficult. There was so much more preparation for Christmas after I came out of hospital, with all the family coming to say. There were nine of us here from Christmas Eve until New Year's Day and another three on top of that number from Boxing Day for three nights. Rarely a moment to myself and when that did happen, all I wanted and needed to do was sit down and put my feet up - exhausted :yikes:

Right, the MUA was a doddle. Having previously been told I would stay in overnight, on arrival at hospital I was being told I would probably go home the same day, so I was confused by that. After the MUA, I was in the recovery ward for four long hours while they waited for a bed on the ward for me. I asked why I needed a bed on the ward if I was going home and they said I could only be discharged from the ward and not from recovery. My consultant came to see me very quickly and mentioned me having a second MUA. I was rather in shock with this statement, so didn't ask him why.

Once a bed became available I went up to the ward. The physiotherapists came to see me not long after and put me straight on a CPM machine. I wondered why they did that if I was going home? They said during the MUA Mr Allen had been my knee to 90 degrees. I felt a bit disappointed with that number as I thought it would be around 100.

I wasn't discharged that evening. I kept the CPM machine going all night and surprisingly I did manage some sleep with it. I found it quite therapeutic and felt I was getting a good bend. The next day I walked quite well with one crutch for support. Ray picked me up later afternoon and I felt fine.

However, the next few days my knee was oh so stiff, that I could barely bend it. I thought I would lose any bend I had gained and was rather worried. Doing any exercise over the Christmas holiday was difficult with all the family staying and so much cooking and clearing away.

I had physio locally on New Year's Eve and she got my knee bent to 85 and she said she was pleased with me and at the end of the session she said she didn't feel that I would need a second MUA and she expects me to reach 90 next week.

Yesterday, I had physio at the large hospital in Cambridge. That was totally different. She did different things, e.g. had me lay on my stomach and she gently bent my leg towards my bottom. That felt surprisingly easy. She also noticed that when I bend my knee on the couch, I was doing it with my hip and she said I need to do it from the quads. The local PT said nothing about that. So all in all I feel the hospital physio is better, but I shall go to both for the time being.

Yes, I am glad I had the MUA and even though the bend has only increased a little, it is still an increase and I really do feel that I will progress from here.

I was going to return to work tomorrow for half a day, but I have just noticed that my sick certificate from my GP still has another week to go. As I really need to do these exercises three times a day, I think I will have that other week (also I feel a bit anxious about going back to work after so long).

I have a check up with Mr Allen on Monday afternoon. So I can ask him then why he only got me to 90 and if any scar tissue was broken down and also, why he felt I might need another MUA.

So that's it so far folks. Again, many apologies for worrying you all so much - it certainly wasn't intentional and I shall NOT do it again :blush:
 
Kathy, I know I can speak for many others as well as myself. WE ARE SO GLAD YOU ARE OK AND ARE BACK!!!!!!!!! :dancy: :egypdance: :happydance: :yay: :spin: :cheers: :martini: :thankyou: :friends:

Thank you for posting and preventing additional gray hairs from sprouting. I already have too many already. BIG, BIG HUG!
 
[Bonesmart.org] KathyH New Knee
So good to hear from you----I can see the holidays were busy, busy, busy---

Now what we want is for you to
[Bonesmart.org] KathyH New Knee
and slowly work on ROM.
 
Glad to hear from you Kathy, yes everyone was very worried. I think we all should get at least one person in here and give them our phone numbers. Like lets say for instance that all of a sudden Sonja didn't post for several days, we would all certainly have a fit wondering what was wrong, so we need to have a buddy that could check up on us with a phone call. Just an idea anyway. So Kathy, the doctor didn't say anything to you about why he only got you leg to bend to 90 ROM? Seems like there is something in there that is keeping him from being able to bend it. You will probably find out more on Monday.
 
THANK GOODNESS!!! We were beside ourselves wondering about you Kathy dear!! I'm so glad you are doing so well! You will make progress now!! I can't tell you how happy I am for you!!
 
Welcome back my dear friend! So sorry you had such a very full holiday and houseful right after your MUA, I surely hope all goes forward from here!

Stay well my friend! :friends:
 
Hi Kathy! I am glad you are good as can be and maybe getting a little breather after such a hectic holiday time...I am sure you made the holidays so wonderful for everyone and now hopefully this will be a little down time for you. You know, sometimes I really worry about my ROM, but I'm trying to just do my exercises and not think so much about my numbers because everyone here says it all does come in time...some days I bend so well and I know it's cuz I'm not swollen and stiff and then other days I am so swollen and stiff that there is no point in doing anything but ice and elevate! Good luck to you and take good care! xox
 
Hi Kathy, I am just catching up today and saw where everyone was wondering about you. Goodness girl, I would have worried to if I had known. But I am so happy you're doing ok and hope you do even better as the days go on ! Hugs my dear, Gilda
 
Kathy,
I am sure glad you finally checked in and that you are doing well. I am having to deal with some severe back issues right know and didn't want to keep worrying about you too. Glad you back.
 
The friendship here is so wonderful!!

Kathy, glad your life is settling down. You probably overdid it with all your company, but work on the swelling and you will start to see things get better and better. Kimber, who hasn't been on in a while told me yesterday she got to 130 for her flexion and she had her MUA on both knees 6 weeks ago. That's pretty encouraging. One day at a time!

Be well my friend,

Dawn
 
Hugs Kathy!! So glad everything is over and you are doing well. We missed you alot. Looking forward to hearing what Mr. Allen has to say about the 2nd MUA etc.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom