TKR KathyH New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you everyone. I had my check up at the hospital yesterday, but Mr Allen wasn't there, so saw the member of his team who booked my MUA. I like him, he's nice. He could see that my flexion had improved and seemed pleased. He said they only press for a 90 in manipulation as that's the figure you need to do most things. He wasn't clear if there was much scar tissue (as it was Mr Allen who performed the MUA). He didn't measure me, but visually he said I was at 90, so that is certainly an improvement.

He advised me to keep on working hard with the exercises daily and I am to go back in six months, but to phone up for an earlier appointment if I feel that the bend is not progressing. Then another MUA will probably be in order.

I start work again this Thursday - reduced hours for the first couple of days and then see how I get on. Really not looking forward to going back, I have got so used to being at home, love it. But needs must and once I have been back for a few hours it will seem like I have never been away I'm sure.

I have gotten a bit lazy at home since the busy Christmas period and knowing that I will soon be back at work, so have just grabbed what rest I can.
 
Dear Kathy,it is so wonderful to hear you are doing OK. I was so worried about you, but Christmas throws everything out doesn't it.
I will be in further touch tomorrow.
Just glad to hear you are fine and making progress.
 
Great to hear your report Kathy! :thumb: Going back to work can not be easy for sure! Thank goodness I waited until I was retire and moved before I did my knees, because I don't think I would be as strong as all the people that have had to return to work after TKR!
Your strength is very inspiring my friend! :friends:
 
Hi Kathy, it's okay to be lazy. You should still be lazy when you return to work as well. Remember that work will drain your energy as well, so pace yourself and don't be surprised when you see how tired you are. It will pass, but does take time. The other thing that you should remember is that you still need to stretch and do your exercises, and not let those slip. I am very prone to letting anything and everything take precedence over my own needs, and I do pay the price.

Enjoy the last few days at home and keep us posted. I know the bend will improve. One of our members who hasn't been in in a while, Kimber, had double MUA about 2 months ago and has gotten to 120-130 on her bend. It was hard work but she is really pleased.

Keep the faith!

Dawn
 
I think you are so right Dawn. It is amazing how tired one gets even some months after the TKR. As you know, I've retired, and I still get quite worn out trying to keep to some kind of a "normal" schedule. Things are OK for two or three days, then seized up and tired out I have to take to the sofa again.
This is what happened to me at Christmas.
I do think it is getting easier, but I know I am not there yet.
I think it must be really hard for people who have to go back to work.
So Kathy, "take warning by us" you will be tired, and you will be stiff, If you expect it, it might not be so hard to take.
 
The above posters are right! You will continue to gain ROM just with ADL (activities of daily living) in addition to the stretches and exercisies you are doing.
I'm sure you will blend in seamlessly at work, but Dawn is right. Do not try to be a superhero!! Take many breaks to streetch and ice if you can. Try to let others help you.
Best of luck in the return to work, and keep fighting the good ffight for ROM!!!
Best,
Sandy
 
Hi Kathy, just catching up with your thread and so pleased you are making progress at last with the MUA. Like you I seem to have gotten really lazy after the christmas madness but am taking it easy but trying to exercise more at home now im not seeing the physio any more. You watch you dont do too much returning to work and good luck on the increased bend.
 
Thank you everyone :thumb:

My return to work today went well. I had the warmest of welcomes from everyone - hugs galore. I arrived about 10:15 am, had one hour lunch and left at 3:15 pm. Popped into Dorothy Perkins to get a new pair of black trousers for work on the way home, as my current ones are too loose now.

First thing I did when I got up this morning, was do 15 minutes on the exercise bike followed by 15 leg stretches. Felt really good to do that.

When I got home, went straight back on bike for another 15 mins, 15 leg stretches and and gravity knee bends and then iced for 45 minutes. Will have another session before I go to bed tonight. If I carry on with that routine, I will get the normal three times a day I have been doing.

I did drop off earlier while laying on the sofa and felt very tired, but more alert now. I have to get up real early tomorrow (just before 6:30 am) as I have an hour's drive to the hospital for physio before I go to work. Will do reduced hours again tomorrow and next week will try full time - but will see how that goes.

Am going to look for a leg stool to go under my desk, because sitting with the leg hanging for too long is not good. Although I can and do get up and walk around every now and then. Otherwise the knee tends to get a bit stiff. So all good so far - fingers, toes and everything crossed it continues to be good.
 
Great report Kathy! :goodpost: You seem to be doing great, just keep treating yourself nice! I'm sure you were really missed, you do have that sunny disposition, it shows all over your face!

Stay well kiddo, I wish you the best! :friends:
 
[Bonesmart.org] KathyH New Knee
This cap is for you---'cause you surely have it all worked out! Glad it went well today.
 
yippppeeeee! The stool is a good idea - I rarely sit anywhere without finding something to have my foot up on...it just helps! I'm so glad youare doing well! xo
 
Kathy that's great!! So glad you're doing well and back to work has gone smooth so far!!
 
Kathy you planned it all out so well! Fitting in your PT like that plus the biking is great! Even throwing in a wee bit of shopping. Good for you!
I have gotten lazy too. With this surgery, pain, etc you get used to having to slow it all down..the icing, resting, elevating. I am so glad you were happy to be back at work!
Good job!
 
Hi Kathy,

Glad your return to work went well. It's wonderful that you have a routine established to keep your knee moving. I hope you keep feeling stronger as each day passes.

I bought a stool for under my desk and it really helps to stretch out the leg. My assistant reminds me to get up occasionally as well. It all adds up as you go through the days.

You will feel tired for a while so don't be too surprised. I get tired still even after 5 months. Eventually as the painkillers leave your system and the body adjusts, you will see yourself getting sharper in thought and deed. It simply takes time, as all thing TKR do.

Please take care and enjoy the weekend!

Cheers,

Dawn
 
I have to find a way to elevate. My desk at work is literally from the 50's, the old teacher's desks, although I'm a nurse...thats all I've got. I will try a flipped trash can under there.
 
Good idea, duct tape some cush OR bubble wrap the whole thing. Of course I can see myself getting my heels stuck on it and pushing my chair back and ending up sitting on the floor...lately have felt like I need to wear a helmet!
 
Ha! I'd like to market my other idea. I bubble wrap broken arms. The docs have liked it so far. I put a gel cold pack inside if it's really hot out so they don't get sweaty. I have the cutest picks of the little ones in them, back when I worked with younger students. I think a bubble wrap kit with velcro straps would be a great thing to sell in REI too but most people would see the kit and just pull some bubble wrap to save out of their latest package!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom