TKR KathyH New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aaah thank you dear Toni. You know, I really do have a good feeling that this MUA will do me the world of good. As you say, it would be the best Christmas present for me, indeedee!

I thank you for your confidence in me :thankyou:
 
Calendar marked Kathy!! I know the MUA will work for you.

I too was warned about fracture before my MUA. It can happen but it is rare. The CPM machine is no worry at all. It actually felt good to gently move the leg. The best thing to do after the procedure is work on your swelling. Ice all around the knee and use your compression stocking after icing to help keep the swelling down. I wish I had done these things; I feel certain it would have helped me a lot.

Keep your chin up and look forward to dancing at the wedding!!

Let me know how I can help, standing by!

Dawn
 
You are just too kind, Dawn :flwrysmile: I am actually looking forward to that CPM machine and getting my knee moving, albeit very slowly. Have to get up real early tomorrow morning for my pre-op assessment. Have to be at the hospital at 8:30 am and it's at least an hour's drive away.

Friends and family (including Ray) are having difficulty getting time off work to take me for my MUA next week. Although I would of course prefer someone to come with me, if push comes to shove I guess I can drive myself there, park in the car park until the next day and drive myself home. My car is an automatic and so I wouldn't have to use my left leg. Do you think this would be okay?
 
Hi Kathy,

While it was nice to have my hubby there waiting with me before the mua and to be with me after, it probably wasnt necessary. If you can get someone to bring you home, that would be best simply because it's hard to tell how you will feel after the general anesthesia the next day. You will also need to bring your crutches. I needed mine, but you may not. I would suggest you ask at your appointment tomorrow what they recommend. While the pain isn't too bad, you will be uncomfortable. I'm going to back into my head and re-read my posts from afterwards and will get back to you.


Be well!

Dawn
 
Kathy I think it's a bad idea. It doesn't matter how you get there, but someone should bring you home. Hopefully you will be in tip top shape when discharged but they won't want to let you go without someone to drive. Also, you will need pain med, so they'd have to withhold pain med for several hours before letting you go. Too many what if's! And better to have a plan for getting home than it being an issue. How far is it? Too far for a taxi? What if you get tummy troubles after the anesthesia? See I can go on and on.
That is interesting how different docs do different things with the anesthesia for MUA. It's sure nice knowing this procedure only takes a couple minutes. Like Deb I wondered about why they don't use propofol, the IV drug that puts you out but isn't a general. Maybe the procedure is too much for something so light. OR maybe the general relaxes all your smooth muscle so OS can flex your joint well. Anyway sounds like you are in good hands and are going to get your flexion and then you will be super bionic woman by New Years Eve! :cheers: Try not to worry too much but I know that's hard to do!
 
I had my pre-op assessment on Thursday. All good. They said it is definitely a no no to drive myself home. So Ray will take me there on Wednesday, drop me off and go straight to work. He is taking Thursday afternoon off to pick me up.

Thanks for the advice about taking two crutches, Dawn, I had been thinking about that and decided to take them 'just in case'.

Now the MUA is imminent, I have been having the old panic attacks and am very teary. It just seems all too much at times. I know it's the same for most of us here and we're not the only ones. I know I was keen to have the MUA before Christmas, but a few days before when there is so much to do?!! I think that's why I'm panicking also - will I get everything ready in time for Christmas? Will I be able to do the housework when I come home? Am not sleeping well at all, everything going through my head. Last night I was still awake at 5:30 am! I so look forward to going to bed of a night and then I can't sleep and I have never ever had trouble sleeping in my life before.

Was meant to go to our staff Christmas lunch at a lovely hotel last Friday. But I woke up with the mother of all headaches, felt sick and had a tummy ache. In all the days in all the world for this to happen.... Had to phone up with my apologies - gutted. That same evening my best friend was coming to mine for a Christmas drink - had to cancel her too - bummer.

Have lost a bit more weight and down to 130.5lbs now, so something good out of all this :heehee:
 
Kathy big hugs for you on your upcoming MUA. I am going to follow yours closely to see how things go for you. Both of us had some setbacks and alot more pain with our TKR's, so curious to see how things go for you. I am praying for lots of success. Shubbles seemed to have done well with hers, and praying the same for you.

I have MANY times had to cancel plans becuz of my Crohns, so I do understand, and hope your friends were understanding too. And whoo hoo on the weight loss, good job! I lost with this surgery too. Just this past weeks little gastritis battle made me lose 5-6 lbs in just 3 days. But I drop weight very easily when I get sick as the first thing to go is the appetite.

Kathy how about some Chamomile Tea to help calm the nerves? It works well for me. Hugs!
 
Aw Kathy I feel for you going through this especially at this time of the year. It's so hard for us women to let go and ask for help, letting others carry more of the (burden's a bad connotation) but I guess responsibilities and expectations of holidays. If you were your daughter, what would you tell her? I would bet you would tell her to rest and not to worry about anyone else but yourself getting well right now. It's not your fault it's all happening right now. Getting emotional and anxiety is normal... but I know it doesn't make it any easier. I don't know if this is what's happening but do you almost feel like you are starting over with all the agony? Because remember in reality the worst is STILL over with. This procedure isn't going to take you back to the beginning of your TKR but I bet it feels that way.
Oh I wish we could all go to lunch together today and chat and hug and be together, relaxing in Debbie's huge living room! Sharing our stories and allying each other's fears and concerns and laughing about all the stuff people say and see who can have the biggest list of stuff they AREN'T doing for the holidays this year! If anyone brags about dipping pinecones in wax or any other Martha Stewart project we will throw bread crumbs at them! (I'll bet Dave would vacuum for us Deb!)
Anyway, lots of heart and hugs coming your way Kathy. We all love you and will be thinking about you. You are not alone.
 
Awe Kathy! :console2: (((((hugs))))) I hope your headache and tummy issues are over! It's very understandable that you are having panic attacks, the unknown is an awful thing to deal with, but Marianne is right, the worst is over, and you're going in for some tweeking. Some things are not easy in life, like facing the fact that you need MUA, however the outcome will bring you great relief.

Stay well my friend, and I pray that you will be happy with the results!
 
Kathy, good luck with your MUA, you will be dancing soon. Don't worry about Christmas stuff, if it is important, let someone else do it. Or maybe it isn't as important as you thought.
 
Oh Kathy, cheer up my friend. I promise that you will come through the MUA with no problems. The pain is no where near like it was after the TKR. I used my crutches for a couple weeks after but really didn't need to. The first couple of days I was able to get around the house with no crutches at all. I did have swelling so that is something you need to focus on. If you can get your ice all around your knee at once, that is best. Do the heel slides and keep moving since flexion is your issue. If you have a bike, definetely get on it which will really help. You will be able to do your housework, just pace yourself.

I would do all I could do before the MUA in prep for Xmas. Anything that can be done in advance do it now. That way you don't have anything to worry about after. The year I had the TKR/MUA Xmas was good but subdued and low key. My kids and hubby were completely fine wih that and helped a lot.

I know you will worry. I worried too each time as well. I always get the worst butterfly's before any procedure like this. The good news is you will be staying overnight and in good care during the hours that count the most. You will be in the CPM with you leg moving like it should be. Your pain will be controlled.

Let me tell you a little story; When I had my MUA, I was supposed to stay over but there were no beds. I was released late in the afternoon. It was pretty wet outside. When I got home and started going into the house, my crutch slipped out from under me and I fell. I didn't get hurt, but scared me and the hubby half to death. I sat down and cried after that one. So with that said, I guarantee that won't happen to you!

I hope your tummy troubles disappear soon. Sorry you had to miss out on fun with friends. Just think that next year you will be so much better and able to enjoy the things that are hard this year. It will all work out. It really will.

Keep on posting and let the feelings flow. You have man good friends here to support and guide you!

Be well my friend,

Dawn
 
Aah bless you all my good friends.

Gail, I have tried many flavours of tea and can't get used to any of them, I'm afraid. It has to be builders tea with milk for me :heehee:

Oh how great that would be, Marianne, if we could all meet up for lunch? What a shame we can't all say "beam me up Scotty" and meet at a lovely restaurant, sitting outside on the verrandah overlooking the water, eating scrumptious food with lovely sparkling wine and cocktails :martini: Only saying that, to save Debbie's Dave from doing the clearing up afterwards :heehee:

Dawn, your words are very encouraging for me. Thank God you did your knee no harm when you slipped and fell after coming out of hospital after your MUA :angel: How frightening that must have been for you.

It's very reassuring to hear that I won't be incapacitated when I get home afterwards, like after the TKR itself. That was one of my main concerns. I am trying to get the tidying up done before Wednesday. Then I have three days to clean before Christmas Eve. I know my Mum is only too willing to help, but I do like to do it myself. Silly aren't we, in that respect?

Well, I'd best get a move on now, do some more. Will try and check in again later on, but certainly before Wednesday. I know you will all be with me in spirit. I'm really just being a big baby again. I shall hopefully come on here on Thursday (no wifi in the hospital) and say "what the hell was I scared of?". That's the dream anyway :heehee:
 
I always try to focus on how I feel say 1 week later. And in one week from now the procedure will be over, you will be walking better and bending it better. Big hugs and good luck!
 
Kathy,
My thoughts and prayers will be with you on Wednesday for your MUA. Just keep a good attitude and I am sure it will all work out great. Know that we will all be with you , if only in spirit, we are there holding your hand. Let us know how you make out, we all care.
 
Almost there! Don't go crazy cleaning tomorrow. You'll make the rest of us feel guilty. Oh my now I need to know about builders tea. What's that? Better than PG?
 
Good luck on Wednesday. I know it's been a long time coming. I will be thinking of you on Wed. And wishing you well.
 
I'll be thinking of you on Wednesday Kathy my friend!! I just know you will do fine. :friends: :console2:
 
[Bonesmart.org] KathyH New Knee
You can do this, Kathy. I have faith in you. You got through the replacement----so you can do this with your eyes closed!:heehee:
[Bonesmart.org] KathyH New Knee
 
Thank you all so much for your good wishes - it really does mean everything.

Ha ha, Marianne, builders tea is just your normal everyday tea - nothing fancy, but in my opinion, the best.

Gail, that is a wonderful thought of thinking ahead to a week's time when everything will be over and that includes Christmas also - so good about the knee and not so good about Christmas.

Judy, you are so right. Immediately after my TKR, I thought to myself I can face anything after this. So I will close my eyes and think of England :heehee:

Last night I just did not sleep a wink. It wasn't until after Ray's alarm had gone off this morning that I slept and I could have slept for long, but my Mum had arrived to clean my oven for me for Christmas, bless her. I have started to pack my overnight bag as we will have to leave home no later than 6 am tomorrow. I have been told to shower (der, which I obviously would have done anyway) and I understand the no body lotion bit, but no deodorant? I'm sure I wasn't told that for my TKR - unless I am forgetting? I wonder what effect deodorant would have?

Am very nervous, but at the same time excited that this will get my knee bending sufficiently. This time tomorrow it will all be over (hopefully) and I will be on the ward doing either my physio or my puzzle book :angel:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom