Guest viewing is limited

TKR KathyH New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, Kathy, I hate that you need the MUA, but am glad it will be done so you will be home for Christmas! I know it will help you get more ROM. Once you see that bend increase you will be so much happier!!!
You will have a wonderful start to the New Year!!
Sending you hugs dear one. ((((((((( HUGS ))))))
 
Kathy so glad that it will be done quickly so you don't have to worry too long. Wonder about why a general is used most of us had spinals and fem blocks for the TKRs. Glad you get the CPM, seems like that would help a lot. Sounds good! Let us know the date.
 
Brownie, the MUA take only a few minutes. The spinal or nerve block is 'overkill' in this situation.
 
That's really hard luck Kathy, I guess it was what you were expecting. It's still a tough call though. Are you feeling relieved that a decision has been made now? Onward & upward :console2: x
 
Hi Kathy, was figuring this would be your report. Please don't worry too much, this will be a piece of cake compared to the TKR, in every way. Best advice is manage the swelling with ice all around the knee, elevate, use the CPM, I felt it helped me after mine. You should see results pretty rapidly. I firmly believe this will help you so much, and you so deserve to get back on track.

Keep the faith and let me know what questions you have. I will help as much as I can!

Be well my friend!

Dawn
 
Kathy, you will do well. And you will be surprised at the difference in your ability to bend. It worked for me.
 
Kathy I know all will go well for you and onward to a Merry Christmas! :angel:
 
Thank you all for your wonderful support. I asked that question as to why is a general used for an MUA. It's because a spinal, used for the TKR, numbs your legs for a good few hours. As they start you on physio immediately after the MUA, numb legs would be useless. DOH - hadn't thought of that :heehee:
 
Sorry to hear that you need MUA, but pleased to know it will be done before Christmas. On the other hand if you can walk as far as you want around the town, and it is just the bend that is the problem, once it is done you'll be rockin' and rollin'!
Keith bought me some new walking boots for my birthday and I wore them for the first time today. Did a three mile walk with our walking group, who luckily are quite slow, with no ill effects.
 
Kathy, sorry to hear you have to have the MUA, but if it has to be it has to be. I also wonder about the need for a general, but not a spinal, but why can't they just give you the stuff that puts us in la la land when we have minor procedures? Maybe when they crack the knee it isn't so minor and they don't want you sitting up and hitting the surgeon...:loll:
 
Hi Kathy, asking about the spinal versus general is a good question. I actually had the spinal with my MUA. The intent was to keep me overnight, but they had no available beds. When I woke up I was in the CPM for quite a while and even though I was numb, the knee was sill being moved. The only bad part was that I was still pretty groggy when discharged and it did take a while for the spinal to wear off. I was worried about walking. Eventually it all sorted out. I know they plan to keep you overnight which I think is best.

When is the MUA scheduled?

Be well and think positive thought!

Dawn
 
Hi Kathy, I've not logged on for a while so was sorry to read that you are having problems and need an MUA. As you know I went thru this and found the whole thing a simple and largely painfree exersize that yielded instant results.

I had a general anaesthetic but was under for only 10 minutes. I have also had 3 arthroscopies with general anaesthetics which again lasted only short periods. There is basically so little anaesthetic in your system that there are no real side effects.

I was on the CPM machone all night. The nurses were prepared to take me off it too sleep but as I didnt get onto the CPM until late in the day i decided to stay on it thru the night to get the maximum benefit and not let the joint sieze up. I took some basic paracetamol painkillers for this and didnt get any sleep due to the constant movement but otherwise it was fine.

I walked out of the hospital the next morning when I was discharged and went straight to work as had suffered no side effects at all (this may not have been the wisest move but i felt fine and couldnt relly afford too much time off work) I saw immediate improvement in my ROM which has settled at about 125 flexion whilst before the MUA It was no better than yours.

I have my fingers crossed that you have a similar experience to mine. I firmly believe that a positive mental attitude and focusing on the improvements in my life rather than the shortcomings of the recovery has helped me to recover strongly. At times I am sure i pushed too hard and did too much but mentally, being able to just get on and do things was invigorating and helped give me a generally positive outlook which I am sure speeded my recovery enormously.
 
Thanks for that, Noddy. Wow, I'm really impressed by your 125 flexion - that's fantastic! I know you had a bit of a blip when you last came on here, but on the whole you have really sailed through all of this.

My MUA is next Wednseday the 19th. I have my pre-op assessment this Thursday. If I can get my ROM anywhere near yours I will be well happy. I have also been told that I will stay in overnight and they will put me on the CPM machine. I would be happy to be on that all night as well. I don't sleep well in hospital anyway, so loss of sleep won't be a problem. They told me there is a risk of a fracture when doing the MUA :yikes: but I presume everybody is warned of this?

I would certainly agree with you about having a positive attitude over all this. It certainly done the trick for you :thumb:

Well I pray that it will be onwards and upwards after next week :angel:
 
Well I for one will have everything crossed for you Kathy on the 19th. Im sure you will be glad when its all over and you can concentrate on improving yor ROM and looking forward to a lovely Christmas with your family. Take Care
 
I feel sure you will be fine, Kathy, and the worst will all be over. I had to be on the CPM machine for three or four days after my original accident and operation. It was fine. A bit odd, but nothing to worry about. With all the drugs I was on, I was able to sleep through a lot of it.
Hopefully all will be well, and you will be running around for Christmas.
 
Hi Kathy girl!! Well, it's getting close now isn't it. I've been thinking of you sending good wishes. I just know that you will have a fabulous outcome and that knee will bend, bend, bend!! That would be the best Christmas present there is!! Before you know it, you will be dancing in the isle my friend!!!

I'm looking forward to that big smile on your face when you get that knee to 125 !!!! And I just know you will before long!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom