Guest viewing is limited

TKR KathyH New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
KathyH it's good that you had a good hospital experience and that you and the other patients became buddies -- camaraderie makes for a sweeter world. By all means, let your OS know if the pain meds aren't helping all that much. Let your physical therapist know if he/she is hurting you. They know how swelling affects ROM but they are compelled to push you as far as you will let them. I let my therapist know when she had pushed me to the limit so she will know to stop. I live in Texas and the OS and therapists tend to really push therapy because they worry about that "narrow window" for preventing scar tissue. I don't know about that, because I know patients in the UK are doing equally well with a less aggressive approach to therapy. And, that patients who live in the UK stay in the hospital a bit longer, which I wish was the case in my neck of the woods. Being home is nice, but at least 24 hours longer in the hospital has it's advantages as well. Following the advice of this forum's members, who have "been there, done that" is excellant guidance.
Oh yes, chocolate has something in it that is supposed to affect mood -- so, break open a box and have a piece while watching one of your favorite movies. :thumb:
 
Jacky and Titianlady, I'll post the recipe tomorrow. Had a good day today - drove to two local supermarkets, plus a furniture shop with my Mum and I had no repercussions with my knee afterwards, so that has to be good.
 
Yay Kathy! You had a great day with your mum, and there are many more to come! :thumb:

I look forward to you recipe, this is a perfect time of the year for that type of comfort food! :thumb:
 
Hi Kathy,

How are you doing? Just checking in, hope things are going better.

Looking forward to your update,

Dawn
 
Thanks Dawn. Didn't want to update until I had my physio this afternoon. She asked me how I thought I had done this week and I honestly said that I thought I had improved a tiny bit. When she measured me, I could just tell by her long face that I hadn't at all!!!! Had gone down a few degrees. How does that happen??!!!!

My ankle had swelled yesterday and has been aching a bit. I haven't done anything different. She said that maybe there was more fluid than normal and this was preventing me from bending so much. She would more or less scratch her head pondering what to do next - probably thinking I am just a hopeless case. And there's no getting away from that. She said that an MUA seemed to be my only option and see what my surgeon (or one of his team) says when I see them on 6 December. But at eleven weeks out and only getting (today) to 73 with an excruciating push, that seems more and more inevitable.

So rather down today, I am afraid.
 
Kathy, I can see how you would be down and disappointed. I forget, when was the last time you saw your OS? I mean I feel I am behind and I got to 113 today. Did your therapist try the electrical simulator yet? I know there are weeks where I didn't do as well as the week before. (Hugs) sometimes these knees just get us down.
 
Debbie, I saw one of My OS's team at seven weeks. My next appointment is on 6 December, when I will be 15 weeks. At 113, I feel you aren't behind - compared to my 73 (and that's with an extortionate push). My PT reckons there is too much scar tissue now to progress any further. She does nothing like massage, electrical stimulation, etc. Just basic pushing the knee back, that's all.

Lately I have got out of the habit of icing, so am going back to that to see if it helps.
 
Sadly I would tend to agree with you, Kathy. Shame ....
 
So sorry Kathy you didnt get a good result at physio. I know you have been struggling and its sometimes disheartening reading some of the posts where they get a good ROM without too much effort. I know we shoud never compare but sometimes it feels that its just not fair. I am keeping my fingers crossed you get more progress with your icing and elevating. Take Care.
 
Thank you, Patricia. I do get really jealous (not begrudginly, I hasten to add) when I read of people getting good ROMs very early on. My trouble I think was not getting physio until I was seven weeks, so am paying for that now. Oh well, roll on that MUA and get me going. I really really want to dance at my son's wedding next June :egypdance:
 
O i am sure you will Kathy. That will be your reward for all this delay in your progress. I know I am behind schedule as my ROM was 85 at four weeks which isnt brilliant because of very swollen knees and my other knee is just as bad. My exercises are few and far between at the moment but I just do as much as I can. Please dont lose heart. Everyone is pulling for you here. Take care.
 
Josephine I am wondering if my still swollen knee is in any way blocking progress with my ROM?

[Bonesmart.org] KathyH New Knee
 
Kathy, looks very swollen to me and if it is swollen you can't bend it. Ice the dickens out of it and is there some other therapist that does massage that you could go to? I read about the lymphatic massage here someplace and wondering if that would work for you.
 
Hi Kathy I think you should go back o your OS soon. I had a manipulation at 7 weeks although I had trouble keeping the ROM cause the manipulation killed my quad. But i am hovering at around 100. The manipulation breaks up the scar tissue.
I think you need a better PT. it doesn't seem like she is doing her job. Are you doing strengthening exercises with your PT?
 
Kathy, I could be a walking advertisement for the lymphatic drainage massage. The first time I went to PT they commented on the swelling in my non-TKR leg. I told her that the non-TKR leg always had some swelling since I tore the meniscus in it back in 2004. When I started gettign the lymphatic drainage massage, the swelling in that leg and ankle went away completely and has not come back. In the TKR leg, the swelling went down dramatically each week. I had one massage a week for about 8 weeks. It has now been two weeks since my last massage and the non-TKR leg is fine and the TKR leg only swells from driving and sitting and not that much. So I highly recommend that type of massage for helping with swelling. The pool is a great way to also move the lymph around as the compression from the water acts on your lymph system in a similar way as the massage, although it takes more time in the pool to get the same affect.
 
Kathy, I know you're frustrated and disappointed. You have tried hard to manage your recovery and you should not feel bad for your efforts. Some of us have physiology that gets in the way of proper recovery. If it does come down to MUA, I assure you it won't be bad. I have been there myself as you know.

Your knee does look rather swollen. I would try gettng back n track with ice and elevating. I know its not much fun after doing it for so long, but if it gets you there then its worth it.

Debbie mentioned the lymphatic massage, which is something my pt did after my revision. It really helped me to relieve the swelling better than anything else I had tried. skigirl, she knows a great deal about this and may be able to shed some light on this.

Just don't give up. You will get there, it just may take you longer than some. I've been at it over a year and still have work to do. You have many followers here that care a great deal about you, so when you need support, you need to scream, you need to cry or celebrate, we will be here!

Take care friend,

Dawn
 
I sympathize with you, I am now seeing that it's a long process with ups and downs. Now I am suffering from stiffness and tendinitis. I do know however that you have to keep working the knee and strengthening the leg. Everyone on this site has been so great with their words of encouragement. Amazing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom