Guest viewing is limited

TKR KathyH New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hang in there Kathy, you will get there it just takes time! We're all rooting for you kiddo!:thumb::yay::beg:
I hope all else is going well in your world, cause you deserve it after all the hard work! Time to go out for a drink with hubby.:cheers:

Stay well and stay positive my friend!:friends:
 
Hi Kathy,

Try not to worry too much. You will get your rom to a better place, it will just take the time it needs to take. Stick with it, don't focus on the numbers, focus on function instead. Keep up with icing and elevating. The idea of massage before you start exercise is spot on, it will help you with freeing up the joint. Also, keep trying to rock back and forth on the bike, eventually you will just go right over and I will feel great.

I know your are frustrated, and it sounds like there are other things you are having to tend to as well. Just focus on the little things, try not to solve it all at once. It took me more than a year to get to a better place. I have confidence you will do better than me on that score!

Do take care and know that we care!

Be well,

Dawn
 
Thank you, Jacky and Dawn - always there for me. Dawn, I doubt I will fare better than you my good friend - you are so much more positive. I MUST try to be more positive, I know. Again, it's this patience thing and I know we are all anxious to arrive at that place where we want to be, like yesterday.

Today, after my hard physio yesterday, I am paying the price. I am very stiff and the knee is throbbing like mad, even with my painkillers. My question here is, do I rest the knee today with no exercising at all? Or do I just do gentle exercises? Or do as my physiotherapist says and push hard every day? I so want to improve my ROM.

My physiotherapist says that she had a patient where he was in need of an MUA because of his lack of bend. So she pushed him real hard, to the point that they were both in tears at the end of each session. By three months, he had got there and was playing golf, etc. But I also hear the Bonesmart mantra of 'pain = no gain'. It's all so confusing.
 
KathyH, I felt pretty rough after my PT session on Tuesday. On Wednesday I did a few stretches, but was too uncomfortable, so wound up taking it easier as my knee was too tender. And PT should be uncomfortable, but not painful. I do not like that PT's thought about the tears etc. Anyways, I ended up icing and elevating alot. The back of my knee was aching alot, so I put a heating pad under my knee and that helped too.

After Thursday's session, I knew I was going to feel bad again, cuz we worked really hard. But what I did different after Thursday's session, was I asked my hubby to rub the painful areas really good, which he did, and Friday I was way less sore. Hope that helps some. Big hugs!
 
Kathy my dear I say let your knee rest, one day won't set you back further. And, I also say, NO TEARS need apply! If your knee is mad it's not going to allow you to do anything! Your PT would change her mind really quick if it was her knee! Don't let her bully you! :hissy:

Stay well my friend, it will get better! :friends:
 
Hi Kathy,

I have been thinking about you over the last day, and hoping you are feeling better.

I am not always so positive, trust me. At 10 weeks after my TKR last August, I was at the end of my rope. I had been going to pt three days a week, always aggressive pushing, and not really getting anywhere. There were many days filled with tears and frustration. I felt like a complete failure. I started to think I was going to be stuck this way forever. Sound familiar?

For me, physiology was the cause of my issues. I had formed scar tissue that was aggressive, and it could not be overcome with any amount of pt. finally, having the revision and removing the nasty scar tissue, and the capsular release was the answer. Getting the correct diagnosis was the key I needed. I am feeling so much better and my extension is holding steady at near zero, but it has taken me over a year to get here.

I know how you feel. It's okay to come here and share these frustrations. You don't have to try to be positive for anyone. This is the most difficult challenge I personally have ever faced. It is always with you no matter what. We care and are concerned for your well being. We will be here to support you during these tough times and to cheer you on when you get to those better times, and trust me friend, they will come.

So, lots of (((hugs))) across the pond coming your way. We have a very bad storm coming up the East Coast, so I have been cooking and baking most of the day. Time t settle in for some lasagna and get into my Jammie's!

Be well,

Dawn
 
Thank you for your continuing support, Dawn. It's good that you got the correct diagnosis eventually. We all/will get 'there' eventually, I know. Easier for some and harder for others.

I suppose for my flexion going from 40 to 75 in two weeks is good. I just pray that I continue to make some kind of progress each week.

Thinking of you all on the other side of the water and praying you are all safe - you gotta be :thumb:
 
That's right Kathy, if you can go from 40 to 75 in two weeks, you can do anything and you will my friend just don't doubt yourself! Sometimes we tend to be our own worse enemy.

Try and stay positive and stay well my friend!:friends:
 
Hi Kathy. Ive just been reading your posts from day 1 and im so glad i did. I am up to the part when you were taking the dressing off and its exactly how i felt today. It just makes me feels better knowing its not just me that was nervous taking the staples out etc. I will continue reading your story seeing i have nothing much more to do apart from elevating icing and taking meds. No physio till wednesday, my first visit. Hope you are progressing well. will catch up soon.
 
No worries Kathy, you will get there!

We are hunkered down waiting for the storm to arrive. It's been raining for a could of hours andhe wind has picked up some. It will get worse before morning. I'm sure we will be just fine!

Be well,

Dawn
 
Thank you, Patricia. I don't think any of us are alone in the way we think/worry about things during this recovery process. And that in itself is a great source of comfort.

Dawn, I KNOW you will all be fine during this worrying time of Sandy. I just can't even begin to imagine what it must be like to have to go through something like this.
 
Thanks Kathy and wishing you good luck with your physio. Your posts made me laugh which was good. About your husband shopping sounds just like mine comes back with the bargains and shopping for clothes Thank goodness I have 3 daughters to guide him on that one. I seem to spend most of my time on here at the moment just to soak up all i can about the op and peoples progress. This is my first op and i never thought it was going to be such a big op with a long rcovery time. Hang on iin there and keep up with your good humour.:dancy:
 
Came through the storm no problem, just rain and wind. There was a nice rainbow to greet me when I arrived at work...still looking for the leprechaun and pot of gold!!
!
 
Aw Kathy, I am soooo sorry you are having such a tough time. Definitely don't feel bad about having a day off following a hard day, it's not going to make much difference in the long run. You must feel so frustrated - doing a bit of under the breath swearing for you - (& me the Minister's wife!) Hang in there. You'll win :console2:x
 
How are you doing Kathy? Just thought I would check on you...hope you are well!

Dawn
 
Oh, Kathy, you poor thing. I do hope you feel better soon. I suppose the physio is trying to break down the adhesions, but I can't see why having a day off. icing and resting can do anything but good, because it will probably be tough whatever you do.
Take care, thinking of you.
 
Hey Kathy, hope you are ok. I am sruggling with swollen knees at the moment as i was doing my eg lifts wrong and when i started doing them properly and not lifting from the hip boy could i tell the difference. I spend every other day icing and elevationg and then trying to do a little more on the other days. If it affects my ROM so be it. Got plenty of time to cath up. Take care Kathy x
 
Kathy my dear, where are you sweetie??? Getting concerned!!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom