TKR KathyH New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kathy, I am sorry that you are still struggling. Your leg looks a little red--is it still hot to the touch? I had really good luck with lymphatic massage---they were able to help the lymphatic system drain the swelling. For instance you should put lotion on your legs stroking from the bottom up. It helps your lymph system, drain the swelling. Your knee does not look too bad, what is your rom right now? Are you still in pain? You have lots of time to gain, rom, I would not get depressed now. Kelly
 
Oh, Kathy my friend, I am so sorry you are having such a time getting that knee to cooperate. You are doing your PT, and frankly, I don't think the PT is going to help. The more you do, the more swelling you are getting, with no additional improvement.

Even with no PT for the first 7 weeks, I think you would still have more than 73 degrees by now. All the PT is doing is aggravating
things. My goodness, just look at that poor, poor knee!!

I think an MUA just might get you on the way to better ROM my dear friend. It's something I know you wanted to avoid, and I don't blame you one bit, but you have been fighting the good fight so to speak for so long, and you deserve to get more movement.
This has been so frustrating for you dear one, and just not right. I want so much for you to enjoy your upcoming wedding celebration and dance the night away.
Get the MUA, and let's get you from being envious of ( even if you are happily envious) of others ROM, to joining them in getting better numbers!!!

I'll be rooting for you Kathy, and I just know once you have that MUA, you will be on your way to dancing, dancing, dancing at that wedding!!! :friends: :friends:
 
Big hugs KathyH!!! I just had two PT visits where I got stuck at 100 and so get your feelings of disappointment. And another thing, I too get jealous of how easy some have it. I try not to compare, but sometimes it just gets to you. I can get my bend to 102 (last visit), but my straightening is going the other direction and is now 14 when I had 10 and 7 when I first started. So I feel like I go backwards too.

Sadly, the MUA might be called for in your case. If you go for it, I pray it does the trick and you start improving soon. I am not going to do the MUA at this point. I am still really swollen and just recently had some blood work and my inflammatory markers are high too, so I believe I have a few things getting in the way right now and its effecting my ROM. So hopefully things will calm down and I can get this knee to start moving better.

I have to agree with the person who stated that sometimes your psyiology (sp?) just means you are one who produces alot of scar tissue. I have alot of problems with scar tissue in my abdomen becuz of my Crohns and was so afraid it was going to affect my knee too. But so far I do not believe it has.

Sending big healing hugs your way! I do understand. Huggles~
 
I am so sorry to hear of all your difficulties, Kathy. It does seem so unfair, although by one means or another I am confident you will get there. There seems to be some very good advice here.
I spent the long weekend in London with some friends, I did really well considering, but was slowing up towards the end, and today I am just reduced to resting up. I did have a great time though, and coped with all sorts of public transport.
I wonder sometimes if because my knee was replaced because of injury, rather than from an inflammatory arthritic process, whether that has made any difference to the rate at which my new knee has settled in.
Has anyone any thoughts on this?
 
Thank you everyone, for your kind words and encouragement - they are very much appreciated on this long journey to recovery.​
​
Kelly, my knee is a little warm, but not flaming hot.​
​
Jess, my knee replacement was because of an injury which happened 30 years ago (I was knocked down by a car and the top of my tibia was badly fractured. I spent five weeks in hospital in traction. Then another six weeks in plaster). So I don't think the reasons for our TKR relates to how good our recovery is. Well, if you compare you and I it doesn't. Good to hear you had a nice weekend in London. You may have slowed up at the end, but at least you done it and know that you will be able to things like that in the future.​
​
My physio is on the NHS so it is all very basic and they don't seem to go in for things like massage or anything out of the ordinary. Pretty darn well useless, if you ask me. I don't see the point in her bending my knee to the point where I cry out, just to get a number, so that when she lets go it springs back? I will have to pay for private physio if I want 'extras' and at the moment, money is a bit tight, with Christmas almost upon us.​
 
It does seem that our physhio is pretty basic in the UK isnt it. We hear so much more in the states with massage and electric treatment. I know they pay for it and we get it for free but you would think they could offer us more of the same stuff for people who are having problems. Sometimes it seems they have an ROM figure on a sheet of paper and once they get to that they can discharge us. They dont seem to mind what it takes to get that figure. I agree it would be expensive to pay for extras and we are perhaps a little bit spoilt as in we have our NHS service and we dont have to pay for things. I really feel for you Kathy and I hope you get some results soon.
 
Oh well, was just a thought, it is obviously just pure luck, because your case is so similar to mine. I suppose it must be due to physiological differences.
I really overdid it at the weekend,and yesterday I traveled across London, then got a train to Saffron Walden because my daughter was playing her horn in the orchestra for a Youth Theatre production of Sweeney Todd, and her husband was musical director. It was a superb show but my legs were really throbbing by the end, so it is back on the sofa today.

I can't believe the amount of problems you are having. I hardly did any physio and I am fine, you are working your socks off, and are really stiff. I wonder if a jacuzzi or something like that would help?
I suppose you will have to find a private physio, but I can't believe that there isn't more help for you on the NHS, there certainly should be, surely it isn't beyond them. Other than that, I suppose it is just ice, ice, ice.
Find a good book.:groan:
 
Hi Kathy,
Hope things improve for you soon. I understand what you are saying about physio in the uk but the other side of this is that the physio In the USA can sometimes be quite intense and I am not sure that intense physio at an early stage really makes a big difference to the long term outcome.I suppose what it does do is make you feel something is happening.
I am no expert but reading here there is a lot of advice about resting, icing and elevating combined with gentle stretches to let things heal up and improve in there own time. I suppose you will never know if USA style physio would have made any difference.
It is early days in your recovery, hopefully things will improve in time. Keep your chin up.
Big hug,
Toothfairy :flwrysmile: :yes:
 
I agree toothfairy the USA style can be sometimes a little too aggressive. We have read this a lot on BS. But if the gentle approach isnt working surely there should be something else they could try to help movement. Even if it was massage on its own. We cant all be helped by the same method as we all react differently to surgery and recovery.
 
That's true. I think it would be really useful to have easy access to expert advice and support and that's not something the NHS is very good at delivering quickly and efficiently.
How are you feeling this evening? Any better?
Toothfairy.
 
To be honest no not really. all ive done is had a shower apart from lying on my bed all day. My good knee is still really swollen so im hoping i will see some improvement tomorrow. Onwards and Upwards x
 
Poor you. I have all this to look forward to.
Did you have a long wait for your surgery? How much advance notice did you get?
I hope things get better for you soon
Toothfairy
:puppysmooze:
 
Oh my gosh, Kathy! That's one fat leg! But then you're only 12 weeks yet, you know. That' still early days and you have plenty of time yet to see improvements. I would endorse the idea of lymphatic massage but it's something you would have to choose and pay for yourself. I found broken link removed: https://www.inhealth.uk.com/contact.htm though I can't vouch for the therapist, if course. Worth a try.
 
Kathy my dear, you are facing a very hard decision and what you decide will be what you can handle! :thumb: No matter what you decide, you will dance at you son's wedding, which is, don't forget, 7 months away, plenty of time for recovery which ever avenue you chose!

I wish you the best my friend and please stay positive, it will all work out for the best for you Kathy my friend! :friends:
 
Kathy, hugs my friend. I'm sorry that I am just vatch up on your troubles
HI JESS!
My knee is about 5 times the size of my left one. i think joining the circus would de the most lucrative career choice for me. People notice it!
i ice, ice, baby.
Take care. Sending lots of hugs!
 
Hi Kathy if you ever want a list of the exercises let me know. On the days when I don't have physio which is now four days a week, I do my exercises at home.
 
Kathy your knee looks really swollen to me. I think you need to call your OS and tell them what's going on and that you can't progress your flexion. I wouldn't wait a month. Better safe than sorry and he will have the best advice on how to get that swelling down. I had a PT before my surgery that used to tape my knee for the lymphatics.
 
Kathy, go to YouTube and you can find videos that show how to do our own lymphatic massage on our own legs. If getting lymphatic massage by a therapist isn't possible for you, try the videos and see if you can do it yourself, or maybe get your hubby to do it!! I watched a couple of the videos and it doesn't look that hard to do!!

At least it may help you out a bit. I so want you to know what a pain free, functional knee replacement feels like!! It breaks my heart to see you struggling so hard to get that knee working the way it's supposed to work. I'd like to just snap my fingers and make everything perfect for you Kathy.
 
I can only agree with the comments above, your leg looks really swollen to me, and it seems to me that is the reason you can't bend it. I feel sure your family would prefer that you got well rather than that you sent them expensive Christmas presents, so perhaps token presents and spend the money on the massage.
I have been thinking about you all night, and wishing you well.
 
KathyH we are not that much apart on our surgical dates, but I am still swollen and my knee still warm. It really gets in the way of ROM. Sending healing prayers your way, and you figure out the best path for you! Hugs!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom