Guest viewing is limited

TKR karol723's Recovery Thread

I got my first beagle "Daisy" from a breeder. Her parents were both winners of many awards. She's beautiful, smart and can be s handful. My other beagle "Buddy" was a rescue. He is very easy going, I think he's just happy to have a loving home. He was afraid of everything when we first got him. I think he was probably mistreated before we rescued him.Daisy is 11 yrs old, Buddy is @ 7 yrs old. They are both great dogs, part of the family and we'd be lost without them. They weigh 22 - 26 lbs, nice size. Looking forward to taking them for walks when the weather here in New York warms up in the spring.
 
He is very easy going, I think he's just happy to have a loving home.
All of my dogs---both labs and lab-X's---have been rescues.

I think, in some way, they know that they have been given a new lease on life and are very, very grateful for what you have done for them.
 
A neighbor has beagles and they run wild. They sleep in the road but they never run off! Since we live in a rural area. Anybody ever hear of or been to Lovelace Cafe? It's a very popular tourist restaurant in Nashville. Lots of stars have been there including Paul McCartney. We are right down the road. I love to hear the beagles when they are chasing the scent of a rabbit! It might bother some folks but we love it!
 
@Jackieray, Our beagle is a rescue. He was raised by a man that raises, competes in rabbit trials, and sells beagles. Charlie is a 13" beagle. He is very mild mannered and loves to cuddle. I understand some can be loud. Good luck on finding your new love.
 
It will be great to really enjoy your dogs with new knees.
 
Glad to report that my incision finally closed up completely & looks good. Having another snowy day here, cancelled my pt appt. Feeling stiffness in both knees, wonder if the weather has anything to do with it. I've been cutting down on the Tramadol, taking 50 mg 3x a day now. I need to cut down slowly, have noticed some withdrawal symptoms. Was cutting down 1 pill every week or so. Headaches in AM upon waking up & some shakiness. Will reduce 1/2 pillat a time from now on. Will call pharmacy to make sure cutting pills is ok. Still need to do lots of massages & stretches to get rid of these stiff muscles, otherwise I start doing the Frankenstein walk ! Think I'm doing good for just over 8 weeks. Looking forward to next month when I can hopefully get back to the gym and start feeling stronger.Hope all of you are having a good day
 
Seeing my pt later today, hoping to find out what my extension measurement is. Doing OK, but still pretty uncomfortable by dinnertime. Hopefully when I get to 12 weeks I'll see more improvements and less discomfort. Need to work on my patience, still got a long way to go. This cold, snowy weather isn't helping either. Not that I could do much even if it was nice outside. Grandsons Birthday this weekend, hoping to see him.
 
Karol, I hope PT goes well today. I hope your discomfort lessens with each day. Tag one of the moderators or Josephine and ask about the taper. Your pharmacist is a great resource also. How exciting to see your grandson this weekend! How old is he? We have one granddaughter, 21. She is in the PharmD program at USC.

I hope you have a comfortable day.
 
Hi Janis, My grandson will be 21 also this weekend. Seems like not long ago I was changing his diaper ! Good thing he can't see this - ha,ha. He goes to Stonybrook University here on Long Island. After looking back over my thread from my first tkr I realized how much better I'm doing this time. I elevated alot yesterday, feeling less discomfort and walking better this morning. How re you doing ?
 
Karol, I am hanging in there. The diverticulitis is really getting painful again. My knee is still swelling more than I think it should, but what do I know?? Hahahaha!
 
Saw my pt today. Had my extension measured, he said it's about 4. Was hoping I'd be alot closer to 0, been trying to do all the recommended stretches. Guess it will take some time. I'm almost 9 weks post op, wondering if extension of 4 is okay at this point. Therapist said my other leg took some time too. Anybody else dealing with this ?
 
An extension of 4 at 9 weeks is fine. After all, there really isn't much difference between 4 and 0. Just keep working at it gently and you'll get there.
 
@Celle, OK - thanks! Thought I was doing pretty good. My gait when walking is improving too. Sometimes I just worry & think too much. Went to Walmart & walked around a bit for exercise today. Felt so good to do something normal and be outside. Resting, elevating & ice now. Tomorrow is my grandsons 21st birthday, will be going out with family to celebrate. Glad to be there, last year I missed it, was still in rehab after my first tkr. Hope things are going well for you Celle.
 
I'm glad you managed Walmart OK. That could have been a bit ambitious, but your knee managed it.

I found that, for many months after my TKRs, just one activity like that was all I could manage in one day. The energy drain tended to linger for much longer than I would have expected.

My knees are fine now; thank you for asking. I don't think about them very much, but just use them normally. I'm still working on improving balance, though. I have an inner ear problem that makes me lose balance sometimes, so I need to make sure my legs can compensate.
 
@Celle, I was pretty worn out by dinnertime last night. Guess the Walmart trip did it. You're so right, one activity a day is about all I can handle at this point. Will rest up today & try to nap this afternoon, birthhday dinner for my grandson tonight. Sorry to hear you have that balance problem, that must be scary with knee replacements ! Hope you have a good day.
 
Had a nice time Saturday at my grandsons Birthday dinner.Went to one of those Japanese places where they do a show as they prepare your dinner. My knee held up pretty well. Always takes a few minutes to get going after I've been sitting for awhile. Same thing when i get out of bed in the morning. Still quite achy on my right knee,leg & lower back. It's 4 degrees here this morning, I'm sure this freezing weather isn't helping. I want to start doing some upper body exercises today with my weights. Been lying around so much I know I'll need to go slow, but I feel like I want to start feeling stronger again. Will check with my surgeon on March 9th about going back to the gym. I have pt this afternoon, I am able to drive myself there now- progress! ☺
 
Karol, 4 degrees is cold!!! We had a night of 12 on Saturday and have about an inch and half of snow and ice this morning. Being able to drive to PT by yourself is so freeing! I love my independence, although I appreciated my Darling driving me everywhere. Stay warm!
 
@karol723, how are you doing? I read on another thread that you have had two funerals this past week. I am so sorry for your loss and for the loss of your freind's son. It seems sometimes it comes in waves doesn't it? How is your knee?
 
@Timetolive, having a bit of a tough time for the last day or so. Not sure if it's from all the sitting at the funeral/memorial services. I'm sure it didn't help with all the getting up & down at Catholic services. Then my mother in law pulled down the kneeler in church & wacked my foot with it- on my surgery leg. Felt it all the way up to my knee ! Also one of my Beagles got out of the yard, drove around and found him in someone's yard a few blocks away. Had to pick him up & put him into the car, he's about 30 lbs. and wasn't anxious to end his little escapade, so he just laid on the ground-dead weight. We took the dogs for a walk today but I was only able to make it around the block. So Daisy (my older beagle) and I came home after that. My husband and Buddy (younger dog) continued the walk. Now I'm elevating and icing, hoping for a better day tomorrow. My lower back been bothering too. Can't decide of its from inactivity or walking/sleeping in strange ways or what-ugh !!! Sorry to complain so much, how are you doing? Has the diverticulitis gotten any better? That must be so exhausting after awhile. Did u ever try the BRAT diet when its bad? Bananas, applesauce rice and toast ? Hope you feel better soon.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Karol, I am sorry your foot got whacked! it seems sometimes it never ends!!

I am thinking these little beagles have a mind of their own! At least he didn't run from you and you were able to get him - albeit dead weight! Hahahaha! THAT probably didn't help your back.

You can complain all you want to. That is what I am here for.

Yes, I have tried the BRAT diet and just about every other diet. I am exhausted and just worn out. It sure takes a lot out of you.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom