TKR Karen's Journey with ConforMIS iTotal January 20, 2015

@Blendab1 Thank you! The ConforMIS takes about 7 weeks to make because it's made from a 3D rendition of my existing knee, so I know it's at least 7 weeks away. Plus, I have to have a percutaneous nephrolithotomy beforehand (to remove a large kidney stone from the inside of my kidney).
 
Love it, Karen!! Great attitude and great progress. I need to get a hold of my patient pants and learn to sit still - and remember just how pain free I was yesterday when I did exactly nothing. I did a decent bit today but it's been balanced with a lot of icing and elevating not that I"m at home but it's hard to sit still.
I think I'm focused enough to read a good book though so I'll start one of those tomorrow and hope that keeps me on task.
YOU are doing fabulous!!
 
It's great that you can walk around the house without the walker...but do be careful. That new knee is still pretty tender, and the muscles need time to build themselves back up properly. Are you using a cane?
 
One Week Post-Op January 27, 2015
Well, what an incredible week it's been!
The hospital stay was short and sweet and spending the past week with my sisters was just what we all needed.
I joined the ODIC even though I knew better. I've learned that pushing too hard only sets you back.
My incision is sutured and glued, so I was able to shower right away. I still haven't been able to get the betadine off.
Anyone have any suggestions. I tried peroxide, didn't work.
I spent most of the week elevating and icing. Not much in the way of PT except for an initial evaluation, walks around the house, foot pumps and heel slides. (Well, there was the indcident with the floor pedals, lol).
Funny, just today, I noticed faint bruises appearing in various places on my legs.
I've been sleeping fine, even though I am a side sleeper and I've been sleeping on my back.
My pain has been pretty well controlled with 2 oxycodone 5/325 every 4 hours.Too bad my OS won't prescribe more that a weeks worth at a time...
Today, I had my first offical home PT with Danny. He had me do about 15 exercises and will be coming 5 days a week, probably for 2 weeks.
He wants me to do the exercises twice a day (even though he will be coming every day). I just smile and nod...
He is not a fan of icing. He prefers moving and walking. As soon as he left, I hooked myself up to the polar cube for 2 hours. I was sore!
Within 3 days after surgery, I found myself taking steps in the kitchen without the walker.
Now, I use the walker only occasionally. Usually when I first get up after being down for awhile and always when outside.
The dogs have been great. Even goofy Seamus. He's afraid of the walker which kept me safe the first week!
I am so grateful for the support of my Bonesmart friends! It's great being able to share experiences with folks who are on the same journey.Only those who have gone through this could begin to understand.....
Well, the sisters leave for the airport at 5:30am, so I better call it a night.
Best Regards,
Karen
 
Betadiene. That is the red antiseptic stuff they paint your leg with I take it. Just repeated sessions with a damp soapy cloth. The bruising is it on the back of the leg right down to the foot? That is from the surgery. It will show up really bad for awhile and fade out around the end of week three. Ice, Ice and more ice And elevate. walking around is good to keep the joint moving but don't over do it. Keep positive and congrats on the new knee.
 
Well, the sisters are on their way back home, and I'm on my own now.
I'm confident I can manage by myself, but I will miss their company.
PT comes again this morning. I will tell him to take it easy since I still ache from yesterday.
Have a great day everyone!
Karen
 
Karen, your post just makes me all kind of happy! I am glad you are doing so well and sorry to hear the sisters have to leave but it may be nice to have a little quiet :)

Have a great day, I am off to work!
 
Sorry your sisters had to go home, but it sounds like you'll be fine.

I also noticed bruises on my lower leg last night. Big one on my ankle, little ones all over.

What's funny about the walker/walking alone: this morning I found myself halfway across the bedroom before I realized I didn't have walker or cane. LOL. I'm one week post-op, too. Today I'm tired and have a slight underlying shakiness I remember from last time--had sort of an up and down night and just need to rest deeply today, probably. Since I am walking without thinking, maybe I'll talk to my PT guy about transitioning to cane, too.

You're doing great!
 
PS What kind of dogs? I have a chow mix, but he's old and the walker totally freaks him out. He is also deaf, however, and I sometimes have to nudge him out of my way.
 
Sounds like things continue to go well! I'm on the same meds as you but I also have celebrex - they did give me tramadol for break thru or if I want to step down but haven't had any yet. My hospital PT eval said I could go directly to one crutch if I wanted too but honestly, I was in much less pain in the hospital than now so I'll keep the walker for the first few days.
Thankfully my OS is pro ice! I have been on ice 24/7 since the surgery and have zero intention of changing that up. He's less of a fan of elevation as he wants to make sure the leg is straight. At night I've been keeping it flat but by day I'm in my recliner and have my calf raised so it's over my heart and still straight so I think everyone is getting what they want.
I may have made a mistake by cancelling my in home treatment - they were set to come for the first 3 weeks but I decided I'd rather just start out-patient next week. That works anyway, it's in the same center as my doc and my oycodone is only one week at a time, also. Thankfully it's only a short trip for me though!
We're not as good as sisters but we'll be around when you get bored!
 
Hi Teresa,
Yes, I have plenty of recovery sisters who are fabulous!
I am also on Celebrex and have Tramadol on hand. I tried to extend my oxy dose from 4-5 hours and it was a bad idea. Today, I'm going to try and add a Tramdol halfway between doses and try it again.
I ice and elevate like crazy too. My extension is great, but flexation is painful. I can push it to 90, but owie!
Can't wait to hear from sister Maggie. Hope she's doing well.
Take care,
Karen
 
Hi @Awriterafoot ,
Isnt it funny how the bruising is appearing a week after surgery? Maybe it's the blood thinners?
I , too just started walking away from my walker and finally just kept walking, LOL.
The dogs are yellow labs, Tia is 13 and Seamus is 4. The younger one is a handful.
Hope you are doing well today.
take care,
Karen
 
This is what inspires me to have no fear of my upcoming surgery, you are my inspiration. Finding BoneSmart was a blessing!
Hi @Blendab1 ,
I followed some very inspiring recovery threads before my surgery and it helped ease my mind.
It's amazing how every recovery is different and I know I am still in the early days of mine and just hope that everythig continues to go well.
I think that having an experienced surgeon is key and the support of the Bonesmarties is priceless!
take care,
Karen
 
Alternating meds is one thing I did Karen to cut back on the oxy. When I felt ready I was taking one oxy, 2 hours (or 3) later take one Tramadol, 2 hours later another oxy and so on. If you do this just be mindful of how much tylenol you are taking in. What a pain that you have to travel so far to get an Rx from your surgeon.

I'm sorry your sisters had to go :( I'm sure you'll miss them but what a blessing it was to have them with you in the beginning. Your recovery so far sounds pretty ideal. I hope it continues that way for you.
 
@gr82cu2
Hi Janet,
Yes, I'm going to keep experimenting with the tramadol to try and stretch the oxy.
I have an appt with my OS's PA next fri, so hopefully, I can stretch it out till then.
How are you doing? I followed your recovery threads for both knees and I keep reminding myself that things can go from good to bad very quickly, so I remain cautiously optomistic!
Take care and thanks for the advise!
Karen
 
Hi Karen, I am doing ok. Every day is still a little different that the last it seems. Today my knees are very stiff and sore inside. But, I might have overdone it this morning. I had to get up early to go see my rheumatologist and then I followed that up with trips through Trader Joe's, Sam's Club and Walmart before I got home. Normally I wouldn't do all 3 back to back like that but Trader Joe's and Sam's are near where my doctor is (not near where I live) so it was convenient and then there were a few things I needed that I couldn't get at those two so I stopped at Walmart. It's all done now :) I can be a slug again for a few days, LOL!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom