TKR Karen's Journey with ConforMIS iTotal January 20, 2015

Happy birthday! I sneaked around a few times without my walker when hubby wasn't looking. I was scared though that I would suddenly find myself weak and actually need it so it wasn't often until I gave it up for good in exchange for a cane. Then I found the cane more of a trip hazard than any sort of benefit but I did use it longer out in public just as a sign for people to be careful and keep a distance, LOL.

Don't be surprised if that bruising continues to increase for a few days. It's not unusual at all for that to happen. I'm glad your pain is well managed with the med you have. You'll begin to be able to space it out some. You'll know when it's time. You're doing great so far :)
 
Happy birthday Karen - cake and friends are probably the best medicine going (except maybe for red wine:cheers:)

Hope you have a great pain free day - cheers Maggie x
 
Post-op Day 4 January 24, 2015
I did PT with my sister and then decided to try to pedal on these floor pedals I have.
I managed to do a full revolution, so continued to to 10 .Bad idea.
Today is my birthday, so I had some friends over for cake. I sat in the recliner with my ice pack and enjoyed their company.
Now, I'm going to crank up the ice machine and hit the sack.
Tomorrow, I will do nothing but elevate and ice. The knee is swollen and cranky and I should know better...
"nite,
Karen
 
Happy birthday!!! Sorry you over did it but I hope by now you're icing and resting. Hope you have a great nights sleep.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Karen, so glad you enjoyed cake & friends - awesome that you can do a rotation but.... mmmm... you have now learned the overdoing it lesson - enough said. Hope you slept OK and pain is back under control - cheers - Maggie x
 
You'll soon learn your limitations and how much you can do without a setback. Hey, at least you tried :) You get points for that I hear!
 
@kaw205 happy belated birthday. I hope you are catching up on rest and medication today...
 
Post-op Day 5 January 25, 2015
Well, I spent the day tethered to the ice machine doing damage control. Lesson learned....
The knee is still more swollen and painful than before my slip up.
I did go for a short walk outside today. It seemed to loosen things up.
Tomorrow will be a bit busy. Have to drive (ride) 40 min to the OS office to pick up a refill of my pain meds and then pick up a few things at the grocery store before the sisters leave on Tues.
I will ride in the back with pillows and ice packs.
The nurse comes in the afternoon and maybe PT.
So, that's about it. Can't believe it's only day 5...
Best wishes,
Karen
 
Bummer - does your OS know how far you have to drive to get the script? I wonder if you couldn't just switch and get it from your normal GP? It's a very conservative dose and that trip once a week sounds counterproductive. Just a thought!
 
I discussed it eith his. PA while in the hospital. He will only prescribe 60 at a time.
I have an appt. next fri and will see if I can switch to something that doesn't require a road trip to get refilled!
 
Kaw, I'm hoping that knee eases back down to normal...it should. It takes one overstep like Janet said to figure out your limitations and then you know..as in KNOW whats going to be too much. Every day that baby has to heal..on its own time and schedule. Best of luck. I'm cheering you on to do very little but heal right now!
 
Post-op Day 6 January 26, 2015
Made the trip to the OS office today for my refill. I rode in the back seat, elevated and iced.
Sisters had to stop at Trader Joe's on the way home. I was good and stayed in the car.
The knee is swollen more than I'd like it to be which makes ROM difficult. I've been using a belt to lift it onto the bed and tonight my sister noticed that I got the leg into bed without the belt. I didn't even realize it!
The home PT has been a no show since my evaluation on Thursday.
I called the agency and still no call back. I've just been doing my own PT the Bonesmart way.
I can now usually walk around the house without the walker. I certainly was not expecting to be able to do this on day 6.
My sister's return flight home was cancelled due to the storm in the Northeast and we spent a long time rescheduling for Wednesday. I hope it doesn't get cancelled again.
I'm glad they are here an extra day, but one sister has to get back for work.
I hope those of you who are in the Northeast make it through the storm OK.
Stay safe,
Karen
 
HI @kaw205 Karen what a great day 6 report - I am soooo impressed - walking round the house, getting leg onto the bed - top stuff:yes!:

Re the swelling - at least you know that this is causing the pain and inhibiting movement - you also know that the swelling will subside with ice elevation and rest. I think that all in all you are a star :cool: (check out rock star sunnies - LOL). Just take you time - listen to your knee and keep doing what you are - it is working

take care - chat soon - Maggie x
 
Karen, what great progress!! I'm sorry that your PT has been a no show but you are doing a great job on your own. It's funny how you didn't realize you lifted your own leg on your own, shows your progress.

Hope today is a great day for you too and hopefully your sister will get a flight out, it's real nasty up here in Massachusetts and will be until around 8 pm, so wishing her safe travels.
 
Sometimes I wonder if this is a dream. I certainly wasn't expecting such a good recovery, but I'll take it!

This is what inspires me to have no fear of my upcoming surgery, you are my inspiration. Finding BoneSmart was a blessing!
 
You are my inspiration now, too! I'm sorry your help is leaving because resting your leg, icing, and elevating is working. I'm afraid that, once your sisters leave, you will do too much for yourself and end up all swollen with an angry knee. Glad you're feeling better. I go tomorrow to schedule my 2nd one.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom