TKR Karen's Journey with ConforMIS iTotal January 20, 2015

Good to know about the oxy ladies - I already hate taking two but one last night was a mistake. I had thought to try one with one Tylenol but I only have extra strength and I thought that might be too much but I just did the math and it's ok. Hmm, I might do that for my middle of the day dose tomorrow and see if that works. I could still take the tramadol at need, it doesn't have any tylenol in it. I'd just like to be lucid for SOME parts of the day!
 
I'm not sure I could even manage to shop on Amazon just yet - good for you! Where did you go?
 
Karen, I'm quietly watching you and Texas T in admiration. You both seem to be tweaking things, and staying ahead of the pain and learning while your in forward motion. Inspiring. It's terrific to be in your recovery. Keep going you guys!
 
Look at that list below your signature Motown and you just signed up for the left?! Rock star! @earthspa, you are going to do great!
 
@TexasTee LOL! Thank you! I don't feel like a rock star. On a side note, my hubby brushed against my boob the other day and I laughed and told him to go ahead and told him that that was about the only part left on my body that was real!
 
Post-op Day 9 January 29, 2015
Sorry I didn't update yesterday. I was up at 4:45 am to see the sisters off. A friend of mine drove them and I rode along, and then stopped for breakfast on the way home.
I rested most of the day and PT came in the late afternoon. I was dreading another work out, but he only did massage and stretching. Whew!
After dinner, I fell asleep watching TV and slept through the night. I've been trying to stretch the time between doses of oxy, but woke up in alot of pain and will go back to every 4 hours. Will call for another refill tomorrow and I have someone who can take me to pick it up next week.
Today, spent the morning getting pain under control, took a long, hot shower, then did my PT exercises.
The nurse came, took vitals and said my incision looks great and I don't have to cover it anymore.
Then, I went outside for a walk (I used the walker), elevated, iced while waiting for the PT to arrive.
Today, we worked on resistance: walking foreward then sideways with a resistance band around my waist, leg slides with resistance band, squats at the kitchen sink, getting up and down from a chair with a calf raise when I stood up. Calf raises sitting in a chair with him pushing on my ankle......
It was quite a workout and I just kept thinking "this is not the Bonesmart way", but he never pushed me to pain, just discomfort.
After he left, I iced for 2 hours and will sleep in my bed for the first time since surgery. Hope Seamus doesn't step on my knee.
Best wishes to all,
Karen
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow - again - wow. Those PT exercises sound kind of intense for just 9 days out but what the heck do I know, right? I hope your pain is back to where it was several days ago. I slept in my bed the entire time and pretty much remained there for most of the time until my son was here after he was hit by that car. I hope this afternoon turns out to be better than your morning. DOn't forget to set your alarm for every 4 hours to remind yourself to take those painkillers.
 
Hey Robyn,
Well, I woke up this morning cussing Danny! I went from walking unassisted yesterday, to needing the walker this am.
My OS is the one who ordered this fast track PT.
It was supposrd to start the day after I got home, but because of some mess up, it was delayed 5 days.I'm glad, as this gave me some time to rest and begin healing.
This week was 5 days consecutively, and next week will be 3 days. Then I will start outpatient PT.
Luckily, days like yesterday are followed the next day with massage and stretching.
I slept like a baby last night! 9.5 hours and I missed my 8am pain meds because I didn't set an alarm, as I'm always up at 7.
I'm feeling much better now. Going outside for a little walk...
Karen
 
Karen, your learning about your own responses for sure. It looks like even though it doesn't hurt to do those movements in the moment you may pay for them 24 hours or later..or sooner. Gosh, it's really a trial and error process. I guess the key is keeping the movement patterns simple and gentle so the ROM doesn't go backwards but you don't end up unable to do anything at all. Your doing great. Hopefully a good nights sleep tonight.
 
@earthspa
Hi Steven,
I know, it's a fine balance between not doing enough and overdoing it.
I've made great progress so far and I'm no worse for the wear..
He eyeballed my ROM yesterday at 105 and extension 0.
Today, he did stretching and massage and I haven't done anything else all day, except resting and icing.
One more session with Danny tomorrow and I get a day off...Yeah
Thanks for your support and encouraging words.
Best Wishes,
Karen
 
Karen, WOW I am exhausted from just reading everything you have done with your PT person. I hope your pain levels have diminished and you are still just icing and chilling :)

Have a great night.
 
Wow - that's a LOT of PT - I think I'm doubly glad that I don't start until next Friday. No way I'd even consider lowering meds if I were doing all of that!
 
Teresa,
Lucky you have time to rest and heal before PT. You're right about cutting back too soon on the meds.
Brenda, I did absolutely nothing today. He's coming back tomorrow to try some stretching while I lay face down on the bed with legs hanging off....can't wait! lol
 
Post-Op Day 10 January 30, 2015
Not much new to report. I had PT this morning which consisted of massage and stretching. Spent the rest of the day resting and icing.
One more round with Danny tomorrow, then a day off.:happydance:
g'night!
 
Massage and stretching is my kind of PT. Hope you had a great nights sleep and wishing you low pain levels for the rest of the day!
 
Ah, massage!! My PT does a little, but not much. I've been doing some when I wake up in the night, and it seems to help. Sounds like you're doing great.

After a vigorous week of 5 days in a row PT, I'm taking today off. Got up last night and when I stepped on my knee, it was on FIRE. Too much, it said, and I'm going to baby it today.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom