TKR Karen's Journey with ConforMIS iTotal January 20, 2015

Post-Op Day 11 January 31, 2015
Well, I had another "I should have known better" moment....
I woke up today with a pain level 6-7 due to Danny's over aggressive PT. Even the stretching was over the top.
I've gone from walking unassisted to needing the walker.
So, I called Danny and cancelled today's session and will talk to him next week about going the slow and steady route rather than the no pain no gain route.
I spent the day trying to get the pain under control and checked to see how many pain pills I have left.
Oh, oh....only have enough for today and tomorrow.
I'm trying to stretch them out with tramadol and I've been hooked up to a tens unit all day, elevating and icing.
I thought I was letting Danny take it to discomfort, but I guess I need to stop him sooner. Live and learn...
Thankfully, I've been sleeping like a baby and will hit the sack early tonite and hope for a better day tomorrow.
Karen
 
Oh no! Hopefully if you keep Danny the dementor at bay you will be ok until you get a refill. I am sorry you had to deal with that but sounds like you have that lesson learned, less is more! I'm wondering how mine will be but grateful I have a week before I have to deal with it. My extension is good but my flex hasn't changed at all - course, I haven't really done anything and I'm ok with that for now.
 
Karen, hope tomorrow is a better day. Are you able to get a new prescription easily? Sometimes it takes a day or two to get one filled where I am. (I am worried about the pain meds on your behalf!)

It's my extension that's bad. I have to work hard to get to -9. The flex is 95, but I am really not letting this bother me.
 
Karen, I am so sorry that you are in so much pain. I hope the rest, elevation and ice is working to simmer it down. Hope that you can your meds filled before you run out, that would terrify me!! Sending some healing mojo your way and I hope you have a good nights sleep!
 
Hey Robyn,
Well, I woke up this morning cussing Danny! I went from walking unassisted yesterday, to needing the walker this am.
My OS is the one who ordered this fast track PT.
It was supposrd to start the day after I got home, but because of some mess up, it was delayed 5 days.I'm glad, as this gave me some time to rest and begin healing.
This week was 5 days consecutively, and next week will be 3 days. Then I will start outpatient PT.

Fast track PT? I wonder why that is necessary? What's wrong with slow and easy?
 
Karen, your learning about your own responses for sure. It looks like even though it doesn't hurt to do those movements in the moment you may pay for them 24 hours or later..or sooner. Gosh, it's really a trial and error process. I guess the key is keeping the movement patterns simple and gentle so the ROM doesn't go backwards but you don't end up unable to do anything at all. Your doing great. Hopefully a good nights sleep tonight.
:goodpost::iagree:
 
Hi Karen, Happy Superbowl Sunday. I know you are doing too much, but life gets in the way of resting, right? The dogs need to go outside, then they want fresh water and dinner, maybe they want to play, then you need to feed yourself, the dishwasher needs to be emptied, you need to tend to your daily needs, and the list goes on, right? It's not easy resting when you are the only one there to care for your needs.
Plus, it sucks that you are running out of painkillers. Can you add some Tylenol and Ibuprofen to what you have left? Hang in there! The knee is in charge....it's all about the knee, the knee, the knee, nothing else.
 
@MotownGirl66
'Morning Robyn,
Had a good night's sleep despite the pain.
Yeah, I miss having the sisters around to help out with the everyday chores. I'm pretty good at balancing rest with activity, though.
I don't know why my OS orders fast track PT. I know he likes his patients to be up and moving, but I don't think he requires it to be intense.
I'll have a talk with Danny. It seems counter productive to push hard one day and then be laid up in pain the next.
I can't add more Tylenol because the Oxy contains my maximum daily dose.
I do have some Tramadol which I'm using to stretch out the Oxy. I also think the TENS unit is helping. I clipped it to my waistband and let it run until the battery died...
I should be able to get a refill tomorrow. If I can't find a ride to the doctor's, I'll drive myself.
The meds don't make me drowsy or loopy at all.
Tonite, I'll stop the Oxy/Tramadol and just take tylenol/ibuprofen and tough it out.
Friends are bringing me lunch today. It'll be good to have some company!
I'm not watching the superbowl. Never have been a sports fan...Maybe I'll find something to watch on Netflix.
I'm feeling good enough to do some easy exerises today. Don't worry, I won't overdo it. I just don't want to regress...
Have a great day, the weather is beautiful!
Karen
 
Hi Karen - glad you were able to sleep - I think sleep is critical to healing!! Why will you stop oxy/tram tonight? If you are completely out I'd think even a walk in clinic would provide you a day or so worth of meds given the giant gash down your leg! I'd hate to see you get too behind on meds, it takes a while to get back out of that.

Thinking of you!
 
@Awriterafoot
I should be able to call first thing in the morning and pick up rx the same day.
I was lucky with extension. It has been 0 since day one.
Danny eyeballed my ROM at 105 the other day. No idea what it is now, and I don't care, lol.
Feeling much better today, thanks!
It sounds like you are on fast track PT too, with 5 consecutive days.
Next week will be 3 days for me. How about you?
Well, have a great day!
Best Regards,
Karen
 
@TexasTee
Hi Teresa,
I know, playing catch up with the meds is a drag.
I don't think you're supposed to drive while on these meds, even though they don't make me loopy.
Maybe @MotownGirl66 could help out with this: Could I get a DWI if on a theraputic dose of a prescription painkiller?
I might be able to find someone to drive me. Driving myself will be a last resort.
I'm going to take a spin around my neighborhood this afternoon to see how it goes.
I hate that they make us feel like junkies when we have a legitimate reason to be taking these meds!
I'm glad you have time to do some healing before you start PT. Looking back over my earlier posts, I see that everything was great until Danny showed up! lol
Have a Great Day!
Karen
 
I'm pretty sure you can get a DWI on prescription meds...I would definitely say that is the last resort! My best friend lives in Miami and has had several ankle replacements - the poor thing has a terrible time getting her meds and even when she has a prescription she gets the third degree from the pharmacy!

I get that people do abuse drugs (though I cannot fathom why?! A glass of wine or a margarita is a hell of a lot more fun!) but treating them and anyone else with a legitimate reason for needing them like dirt is not going to change anything so why do they do it?
 
@TexasTee
Maybe @MotownGirl66 could help out with this: Could I get a DWI if on a theraputic dose of a prescription painkiller?]

Yes you can. Impaired is impaired. Maybe the therapeutic dose won't make you impaired. I had to go off my painkillers for a few hours before I drove on Day 17.

I hate that they make us feel like junkies when we have a legitimate reason to be taking these meds!

I totally agree with this statement!
 
Well, that "quoting" didn't come out right! LOL! Sorry! It's so early in your recovery from our perspective, but from yours it seems endless, right? In reading your posts and going back and reading mine for the same time period, I was SUCH A bigger baby! LOL! :yikes: Remember, you are only 1.5 weeks out. That's nothing.
Maybe what your OS meant with "fast track" is different than what your PT thinks it means? I think I had PT every other day for 30 minutes, but after maybe 5-6 weeks, it jumped to an hour.

My TENS unit is broken but I intend to buy a new one before my surgery.

Don't forget, instead of cooking, there are some restaurants that deliver food. That may be an option for you.
 
Karen, reading your blog posts on Danny sessions gets me riled up! The more you find your voice and set your boundaries the better. A lot of us in the healing profession get off on being the "authorities" and take on the role of expert but after doing this so long it is full of ego. This is your knee girl, not your PT's...I know I'm being kinda strident here and I'll probably re read this an hour from now and realize I am typing from emotion..so maybe tone down what I'm saying a bit! I support you having that talk! Hopefully also you will be able to get the right amount of pain killers cause its important to stay ahead of the pain and not let it get ahead of you. I wish you less pain, and deep healing in the days to come.
 
Karen, you're already doing so well, with a ROM that you can be proud of.
Please don't let Danny hurt you any more. It's totally unnecessary and counter-productive.

I really can't see the point of what your doctor calls fast track. Your knee has been cut, sawed, hammered, cemented and stitched back up again. That's a lot of trauma and your poor wounded tissues need time to heal.

There's no need to rush. There are no prizes for getting there first. There's no "magic" time limit within which you must achieve a certain ROM and activity level, or else all is lost. Your knee won't set like concrete if you don't do heaps of exercise. Just a little, gentle exercise, coupled with the activities of daily living, is all it needs.

If you want a current example of a recovery without PT, have a look at Josephine's thread.
I also had no formal PT after my left TKR and I have made a perfect recovery.
 
Thanks, @Celle,
I totally agree with everything you said.
I trust my doctor and doubt he wanted "boot camp" type PT.
Unfortunately, I won't see him until 6 weeks post-op. I will see his assistant this Fri. and I'll discuss this aggressive PT.
The good thing is that after 3 sessions this week, I'll go outpatient and I can choose where I go.
Any suggestions on what to ask when I check out PT facilities?
Karen
 
I'm no expert but when I was choosing I wanted to make sure they were very specialized in working with joint replacements - not just any old ortho issue.
 
Make sure that the PTs don't subscribe to the " No pain, no gain" philosophy. Don't go to anyone who tells you that you have to push through the pain. That might be effective for athletic training, but it's inappropriate for recovery from a knee replacement.
"No pain, more gain" is what your knee needs. You need a PT who believes in gentle treatment and slow, steady progress.
 
Post-op Day 12 February 1, 2015
I'm feeling much better than yesterday, but not as good as I did before the last PT session.
Also, I'm stretching out my pain meds so I don't run completely out before I can get a refill.
Friends brought me lunch today. Great to have some company and Mexican food!
Tomorrow, I'll start researching rehab facilities. Good advise @TexasTee and @Celle , to find one that rehabs joint replacements and uses a slow and steady approach.
It really disappoints me that I was doing so well before PT started and now I'm back to using a cane. Geez!
Well, next week will be better and I have to remind myself that I'm doing well at this point in my recovery and I have been blessed with good sleep, no nausea, minimal swelling and bruising, and the support of friends, family and my Bonesmart buddies!
Best Regards,
Karen
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom