TKR Karen's Journey with ConforMIS iTotal January 20, 2015

@kaw205 your on the other side!!! Congrats to you! I love the bonesmart recovery philosophy...I read it from skigirl and it's very empowering. I wish you a great afternoon and an early discharge if it works out that way :)
 
Treypops is right. Make sure YOU are ready to go home. Being in the hospital is a complete drag but they can get things sorted a lot faster when you are there. On my 2nd knee I did great until the afternoon of the day after surgery and then all heck broke loose. If I had been home it wouldn't have been a good thing. Glad you had a good night :)
 
Thanks Janet,
I think that long lasting anesthetic has worn off, because the pain is worse than yesterday and the nurse I have today won't give the meds until it's time. I was a pain level 6 and he gave me celebrex which did nothing.
45 min later, when it was "time", I asked again and got oxy.













time, I requested
 
Celebrex will help keep the inflammation down which in turn will help keep the swelling and pain down but it's not enough for the kind of pain you have right now. They ended up giving me Oxycontin (to control break thru pain) along with the Oxycodone and even added in Xanax (I think?) to help control the muscle spasms. If you are in a lot of pain before time for your next dose, RING THEIR BELL AND DON'T STOP TILL THEY HELP YOU!! I hope it gets better. (((hugs)))
 
Best of luck with your recovery Karen, you seem to be doing great so far. Holly
 
Thanks Hollly,
The pain is much worse today. Riight now I'm waiting to be discharged. Can't wait to get home and elevate and ice!
Best Regards,
Karen
 
Karen, I am so sorry to hear they are not helping you with your pain management, at least if you are home you will be able to take your meds at 3.5 hours instead of waiting for 4. I was amazed to see that they were sending you home so soon, you must being do really well.
Hope you are home by now and icing that new knee of yours and don't forget to have your sisters baby you all they want. :)
 
How are you today Karen? I hope that icing and elevating are helping with the pain.
 
@kaw205, hope you are settled in at home
[Bonesmart.org] Karen's Journey with ConforMIS iTotal  January 20, 2015
elevating and

[Bonesmart.org] Karen's Journey with ConforMIS iTotal  January 20, 2015
icing, and
[Bonesmart.org] Karen's Journey with ConforMIS iTotal  January 20, 2015
taking those meds on a schedule!

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Hi all,
Well I arrived home at 4:30 wednesday and have been elevat8ng and icing since.
By the time I left the hospital, my pain level was a solid 8 and my rom is about 15.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Post-op day 2: 1/22/15
Well, I've finally gotten the pain under control and I'm having a good day.
Home PT came at noon and basically did an eval, showed me how to walk properly with the walker and gave me some easy exercises to do. She wants me to do them for 10 minutes, 6 times a day and ice and elevate as much as I can. My kind of gal.
Then the visiting nurse came and took my vitals and redressed the incision which looks good. No bruising yet and very little drainage.
PT will come every day except Sunday for the next 2 weeks. They sure don't waste much time!
Today, I've been moving about the house easily with the walker with very little pain.
This is the first chance I've had to visit my nest and hook up to the ice machine.
ROM is back up to 85 and extension close to 0.
Aside form my very painful day yesterday, I am happy with my progress so far, althogh I know that can change in an instant as @gr82cu2 can attest.
Thank you all for your encouraging words. It really does mean a lot.
Also, every health care profesional I met has spoken very highly of my surgeon.
The sisters have been very helpful and they're very good cooks, too.
OK, time to watch some mindless afternoon TV.
Best Regards,
Karen
 
Yay! Glad to hear from you and read you are having a better day today. It sounds like being in charge of your own icing, elevating and medicating has been beneficial for you. And I'm sure having your sisters there is a huge benefit. Keep up the good work :) (((Hugs)))
 
Nice to see you are settled in at home and doing well Karen....

Vinny
 
Karen, it makes me very happy to see that you have things under control!! I am so glad that your pain level has decreased. Enjoy your time with your sisters and enjoy all that good cooking,
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom