Bilateral TKR JustJeff 4/9/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
one thing I learned the hard way is , just because you can , doesnt mean you should.

[Bonesmart.org] JustJeff 4/9/14
 
Yep. . I'm careful. I wouldn't dream of walking to the store, but looking forward to driving a little cart around. Weird though to have old ladies offer to grab stuff for you.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Those little carts are great!!!! And everyone is willing to help. Just goes to show that the world is full of really nice caring people in spite of what you'd think listening to the news.
 
You're doing great! :cheers:
 
I drove on an errand today to get My application for a temporary handicapped sticker notarized. I did great but it wore me down a bit more than I thought it would.
As time for PT got closer and took a shower I got weaker to the point my hands began to shake. I decided to scrap the session and to bring them down to 2x a week from 3x.
With doing a little bit of stuff around the house as well as home stretching, I wanted to maximize my pt experience.
My wife was up in arms at this, thinking I was slacking off. I can't convince her otherwise. . Sigh. ...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
I only did PT twice a week. My OS was fine with this. He actually did not seem to care whether or not I went. Little things do exhaust you. I could not drive until six weeks. I also took pain meds that long. As long as you are taking short walks an very basic exercises like heel slides you will be fine. I think I ended up with a total of eight PT visits. Your wife just wants what she thinks is best for you. It is hard to relate if you haven't been thru it!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Since starting outpatient PT I have only done two sessions / week, Tuesdays and Thursdays. Yet, at my 6 week checkup this past Tuesday my OS indicated I was right where he expected and where I should be in regard to my recovery.
 
Thanks Phil. One thing I learned here is that you do what you can. No more no less and where you're supposed to be, that's where you'll be. I'm not going to be pushed. I'm running my marathon at my body's pace.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
I drove to game night, was alert all evening and then food shopped using the electric cart. My mind was alert without the exhaustion that was so Characteristic of the 1st three weeks!
Now I can try cooking again.
For you who are behind me in recovery, it gets better every day! I wake up excited about what new advances will be revealed.
A lot of it was getting the technical details out of the way. Like scheduling pain meds, what parts get covers and what don't, elevating comfortably, etc.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
[Bonesmart.org] JustJeff 4/9/14
And I'm happy to see that things are getting better and better, and better for you.
 
WOW, you are doing so cheap better than me. I had bilateral on April 8. My pain Isn't bad now, I'm using just Tylenol. The icy gave me massive muscle spasms and removed all appetite so I had to stop. I certainly cannot go without the walker for not than few steps.

I'm alone now, my son was with me for a week after 10 days in Inpatient Rehab. Haven't been in the grocery store yet. Can't drive for at least 4 more weeks. That's the tough part.

But I agree, cooking is a pain. Standing in one place and moving around the kitchen is so energy draining.

I'm so glad of hear of your progress. Guess there is hope for me yet.
 
Thank you sleenie! It is, of course, tough work. I feel that my legs are strapped up in rubber bands all the time and I just want them off!

The knees wanted to move while I was watching tv last night, so I climbed on the exercise bike and slowly pedalled, like 2 CPMs. Felt good!

I'm struggling to walk down steps normally. It's like slow motion, stretching every second, but I'm noticing progress.

I think that's something to share. We all know it's a long road to recovery, but take the time to note all the myriad small accomplishments along the way and the road becomes much easier to travel, entertained by the billboards.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
We all know it's a long road to recovery
Yes, @JustJeff, we all know it, but somehow we still expect to be better sooner rather than later. It's important to look at where we are on recovery road. Right now, you're 1/12th of the way---that leaves 11/12.

You're right that we need to note the small milestones as they occur because there'll be down times when we'll need to trot them out and recount them to keep from getting discouraged.

The tight rubber band feeling will last for some time---usually several months, then one day you'll realize that it's gone!!! Going down stairs usually remains more difficult than going up for some time.

You've got a great attitude which always makes the recovery process a bit easier to deal with. Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Jeff, I always have to repeat...up with the good and down with the bad when I am going downstairs. A week ago I went down wrong and thought I was going to die...now this week I have done it once or twice on some shallow steps and survived!

I so wish I had prepped physically better before this surgery..I need my other one done and I won't be this heavy for sure...weigh has to affect my recovery!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I've done it in stages, favoring the better knee when the worse one caused too much pain and then doing half on one then the other half.
My steps are narrower and steeper than those at pt. I'm much better at doing those.

I find breathing heavily (like lamaze) while "stepping" increased my success.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Another milestone. After worrying about it and no one helping. I got down on the floor to finally hug my puppy! I had watched a few videos of people standing up by Rotating their hips and walking the hands back and it worked. Just to be sure I did it again. No problem!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Sorry guys for not "liking" stuff a lot but I'm reading this on tapatalk and there's no convenient icon. I could drop back and forth into web view but that's a real pain to do on a phone. Just know that I read them all and I'm really grateful for you guys out there. Others really don't understand what I'm (we're) going through.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Well done JustJeff, you're doing great!


Bernie UK
RTKR 22nd January 2014
LTKR 2nd April 2014
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom