THR Just new

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mollyb The brace is a velcro device from ankle to thigh. It has metal rods at the knee so I can't bend the knee at all. I am high risk for dislocation and the surgeon was being sure I would not bend this knee past 90 degrees, especially while sleeping. The high risk (20%) is because the surface of whatever, lol, was not as rounded as usual, but more flat. Therefore more healing must take place before the risk is gone. 8 weeks in the brace and I'm STILL glad I had this done. Sleep is an issue. I must sleep on my back and it's hard to get comfortable. I think some of my impatience is coming from reaching so many milestones the first few weeks. No more fever, incision healed, gave up walker, daily blood thinning shots over...I think I was expecting the rest of the process to be that way. But no, it's slow. This forum is extremely helpful. I do rest a lot, still have annoying swelling. I notice it in my foot and ankle but the brace is probably hiding the rest of the fat leg, ha ha. The hot summer weather isn't helping, I feel I'm missing everything. BUT I would have missed the fun anyway, the way I was walking and the pain before surgery. Patience!!!
 
MollyB, be nice to yourself. You can't set a schedule for your healing. Your body will do that. It's been 8 months for me and I still have pain in my thigh when I overdo. It is a long, slow, emotional, frustrating but ultimately extremely rewarding process. :bicycle2:
 
I still have a slight limp after 8 weeks post op. is this normal? When can I expect it to disappear.
 
Not at all unusual for just 2 months out Mollyb! Are you still using a cane or crutch? Also, if you practice walking with a correct gait it may help. Walk slowing being sure that heel sets down and then roll forward to your toe. Heel, toe walking can help you gain strength on that weaker side.
 
Yes Mollyb, so important to stick with your walking aide a little longer to help with your gait :)
 
You will get there to walk like normal. It takes time. Welcome to the site, you will find friendly people here wanting to help you get your life back. Because you are new make sure you rest, ice, elevate and take medicane as needed around the clock. Please let us know how we can help you. Take care. Tashia
 
Molly, there are a lot of factors that go into why you're still limping. Part of it depends on how long you limped, and how badly pre-surgery. Part of it depends on how your body heals, and how much soft tissue plus mucles/tendons/ligaments and so on has to heal. Part of it depends on your activity level and whether you are perhaps trying to do too much too soon. Part of it depends on your pain levels and how adequately you manage them.

Are you still using any assistance for walking? Like a cane? If you aren't, it would help you develop a normal walking pattern without a limp while you wait for healing to continue. Use your cane, medicate pain, keep activity level appropriate, and practice a good walking gait. It will come.

Sharon
 
[Bonesmart.org] Just new
Mollyb, I have merged your three recovery threads all with the same title. This is the second time your threads have been merged. Please do not start another new thread here in recovery. Here is a link to how to find your thread: How can I find my threads and posts? ​
​
We prefer that you keep everything about your recovery in one thread as we have all your information in one area. This makes it much easier to answer questions or discuss concerns about your situation. Thank you so much for your cooperation.​
 
Hi Mollyb I just saw your thread and thought I'd pop in and say hi!

I'm a bit younger than you and I hope it helps if I tell you I'm almost 7 weeks along in my recovery and I am still limping. Not all the time, BUT...I ALWAYS carry my cane with me. I too am very active (proud, stubborn, etc) and outdoors on uneven ground a lot. That makes the muscles work way too hard, then they get tired and I limp along like a drunken sailor. Sometimes I just carry the cane, but dont use it. The SECOND I feel my gait starting to deteriorate though, I use it.

In forcing myself to walk without the cane when my muscles are tired, the risk is that I'll do damage to the tissues around the hip that are still healing - and of course that will prolong my recovery. NO WAY do I want that!!! That could happen in your recovery too. So....please use your cane - the limp is telling you that you still need it. And like the others say, rest, ice and elevation are all essential too!

All the best with your recovery - remember it is uniquely yours and cant be compared to anyone else's....it will be whatever your body needs it to be!:thumb:
 
Mollyb I will be going back to work in early August and will be at 10 weeks. I will go back to using my walker any time I am in the halls with the kids for the first few weeks (over a 1000 middle school children are hazardous to recent joint replacements!) and using my cane in my room till I assess how active, thoughtless, wild my students are. The point is you need to honor what YOUR body needs, and protect it from others...or cows! Total healing will come in time, and a bit faster if you really relax into the process LOL.
 
Mollyb I will be going back to work in early August and will be at 10 weeks. I will go back to using my walker any time I am in the halls with the kids for the first few weeks (over a 1000 middle school children are hazardous to recent joint replacements!) and using my cane in my room till I assess how active, thoughtless, wild my students are. The point is you need to honor what YOUR body needs, and protect it from others...or cows! Total healing will come in time, and a bit faster if you really relax into the process LOL.


I can't imagine going back to a walker but I guess if I had to face all those kids in the hall I would use some type of buffer also. I think I would rather face my cows at least they will usually run the other way. So far I have only checked cows in the safety of my vehicle. It will be a while before I venture into the fields on foot as the terain is just too rough . It would be great to get back on my horse but i think that will have to be next summer. So far I am limiting myself to light gardening and housework. Working from home means I can take breaks as needed which is great. I hope the kids aren't too hard on you. Thanks for the support.
 
Hi Mollyb I just saw your thread and thought I'd pop in and say hi!

I'm a bit younger than you and I hope it helps if I tell you I'm almost 7 weeks along in my recovery and I am still limping. Not all the time, BUT...I ALWAYS carry my cane with me. I too am very active (proud, stubborn, etc) and outdoors on uneven ground a lot. That makes the muscles work way too hard, then they get tired and I limp along like a drunken sailor. Sometimes I just carry the cane, but dont use it. The SECOND I feel my gait starting to deteriorate though, I use it.

In forcing myself to walk without the cane when my muscles are tired, the risk is that I'll do damage to the tissues around the hip that are still healing - and of course that will prolong my recovery. NO WAY do I want that!!! That could happen in your recovery too. So....please use your cane - the limp is telling you that you still need it. And like the others say, rest, ice and elevation are all essential too!

All the best with your recovery - remember it is uniquely yours and cant be compared to anyone else's....it will be whatever your body needs it to be!:thumb:

It is good to know that I have company in the limping department. Like you my limp gets quite pronounced when I am tired plus walking on uneven ground. I read posts of people never looking back at 2 or so weeks and not using pain meds or walking aides and I think that I am way behind them. I took every pain med that I needed and I certainly did not think that this THR was the best thing I ever did right after surgery. I guess my pain prior to surgery was a lot less than the post op pain. I guess that is what makes me wonder if my progress is on track but as you say I guess it is on track for me.
Thanks for your help
 
I have made it to the 10 week mark and in seeing other posts, I think my progress is fairly normal. Still a slight limp if I dont overdo it. Then it gets to be a big limp unless i use my cane. Did a bit too much gardening the other day and had to take it pretty easy for the next day. So lesson learned. My energy is starting to come back so I am doing more and more light chores. Still take pain killers once in awhile but more and more days I go without.
Does any one know when you can get back to riding horses after a hip replacement or is it possible at all? I had to limit my riding 3 years prior to the surgery cuz of the pain. Then I found out what was causing it so here I am. I have a cutting horse that I am very anxious to get back on.
 
Mollyb Congrats on your recovery. I would think you can get back on your horse as soon as you feel up to it, but you should ask your OS first. I had one surgeon tell me I could never ride again, and I ditched her! The new surgeon I have that will be doing my surgery said I could ride as soon as I felt up to it. I have 3 horses in my yard that are getting fat just sitting around. I haven't been able to ride since January, and even then it was minimal. Would love to see pics of your horse. :) One of mine is my avatar, his name is Sam, and he's my trail buddy for sure. I can't WAIT to get back on the trail.
 
Mollyb I was told, by my doc and two others, that is is fine to ride after 3 months, and in some cases sooner. My feeling is I want to be very safe and make sure all is well, so even if I do feel like it I will not ride for 3 months. I ride 6 days a week and can't wait to do it pain free! My surgery is this coming Friday, so my last day in the saddle will be Thurs. Best of luck and let me know how it goes when you do ride!
 
Molly,

Your OS and your body are the best judges as when to do stuff! I asked Dr. Maale if I could go skiing, and he said "not yet!" I expected him to say, NO, but he did not! :happydance:
 
I am coming up on three months so I am looking forward to being able to bend more than 90 degrees at the hip. This will be great!!! But, I was reading in my "Hip Replacement" book from my doctor that even after three months you are still not supposed to bend more than 90 degrees for gardening, etc. Are you supposed to work into this bend gradually??? I am looking forward to putting socks on, tying shoes, and cutting my toenails, etc. But it seems, from this book, that there are still restrictions and if so, how long so they last?
 
Hi Mollyb. I am not much help. I had an anterior approach 3 weeks ago & have no restrictions although i am still cautious. I am sure someone will be along to help with your questions. Did you have any therapy?
 
Shadow09 I had a quick physio appointment at 6 weeks and given exercises to do at home which I have been done faithfully. There was a new set to follow after that and then I have been going to "therapeutic Yoga" so I think I am progressing well but want to get over this last hurdle of bending.
I see from your picture that u are a motorcycle fan. My husband and I used to do a fair amount of biking and had some amazing trips to the US. It was a lot of fun.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom