THR Just new

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's crazy! I think your surgeon has his caution button stuck on maximum! There are more surgeons who never ever require restrictions than do and of those who do, most only require it for about 6 weeks. Utter madness! At 12 weeks your risk of a dislocation is about the same as mine - and I never had a hip replacement! This young lady never came to any harm over it and neither did Wayne Sleep, world famous ballet dancer! Girl was at 4 months in her pic and Sleep was at 3 months and back on stage!

[Bonesmart.org] Just new
[Bonesmart.org] Just new


Just as long as you don't have any plans to do something like this!!

[Bonesmart.org] Just new
 
That's crazy! I think your surgeon has his caution button stuck on maximum! There are more surgeons who never ever require restrictions than do and of those who do, most only require it for about 6 weeks. Utter madness! At 12 weeks your risk of a dislocation is about the same as mine - and I never had a hip replacement! This young lady never came to any harm over it and neither did Wayne Sleep, world famous ballet dancer! Girl was at 4 months in her pic and Sleep was at 3 months and back on stage!

[Bonesmart.org] Just new
[Bonesmart.org] Just new


Just as long as you don't have any plans to do something like this!!

[Bonesmart.org] Just new

I hadn't planned on doing much work on the balance beam mostly I want to be able to put my socks on without the use of the sock thing and cut my toenails oh yes and maybe some gardening.
 
I am closing in on the three month mark and just wondering how everyone else is or was doing at three months. I am just starting to dare to put socks and pants on without grabbers and assorted aids. Finally got rid of raised toilet seats but I am walking with a slight limp. I still feel that one leg is longer than the other and that is what is causing me to limp. My operated leg feels stiff when I walk, but relatively no pain if I don't overdo it. I want to plan a trip in September but I am hesitant to book it cuz it will involve a lot of walking and I am not sure if my recovery will have improved that much in another month or so.
 
Mollyb Full recovery can take up a year if not longer. As far as improvement, I still see it, I am approaching 4 months come Aug. 11th. If you want to make this trip, maybe taking a cane will help aid you with the walking (some have talked about a collapsible one that fits in their bag). Do you do any walking for exercising the hip?
I had to work on my gait, as I walked with a limp for so long and hiking the hip. How I did it was concentrate on heel/toe to walk, swinging the arms, this helped with my gait.
 
Liveringer thanks for the advice. I will see if I can find a collapsible cane that is a good idea. When I am walking i do try to concentrate on the heel/toe and I have also found that I need to concentrate on longer strides with my non operated leg. I will try swinging my arms to add to the mix. I probably haven't been doing that. Who would have thought that walking would take such concentration.
 
Mollyb. Just read your thread. My OS, who is very cautious, said I could bend from the waist at five and a half weeks.
I ordered a collapsible cane from Amazon.
 
LeeApril26 I do not know why my physician has made such a strict rule for 3 months of not bending. I have read lots of info on the Internet and it seems to go along with restrictions for six weeks. Some I have read say that u can bend as long as your knee goes out and you don't cross the centre line with your operated leg. Did you have any restrictions?
 
Mollyb. Yes, the 90 degree rule, so raised toilet, cushions on chairs, no bending, twisting, lifting. Most were lifted at 5 1/2 weeks, but I was told no breast stroke, rough surf, or bending over the outside of my operated leg with my knee pointed in. My OS also has a thing about wearing sandals, but I am taking that one with a grain of salt. I am at 13 weeks today, and feeling quite well. Walked about 1.5 miles with one break, and feel pretty good.
Three months of restrictions seems like an awful imposition. I was really happy to cut my toenails!
 
A milestone for me today I sat down on the lawn with my grandsons. Getting down was fine, but getting up was not a pretty site. I will have to work on that part. But at least I could get up on my own. I am still working very hard to not limp. It is not a pronounced limp but a limp just the same and of course by the end of my walks it gets a little worse. I am starting to venture out into the pasture more and that is pretty uneven ground and tires me out more but want to get al little closer to the cows and calves cuz i am getting tired of watching them from a distance from the back gate. The horses will always come to greet me but of course cows are a different story. I can't wait until I can saddle my horse to check them.
 
Mollyb Congratulations. I haven't tried sitting on the ground yet. Did walk on a beach yesterday. That is easier than an uneven meadow.
 
LeeApril26 walking the beach sounds pretty nice and I would I imagine :happydance: the sand gives you a pretty good workout. I would dearly love to live by the ocean and walk on the beach whenever you wanted. I can only do that on vacations which have been few and far between lately but hopefully soon to be rectified once I get over all this hip stuff.
 
Mollyb. Yes, a friend has a beach house, so I spent a couple of days with her. Though I can take the subway to a public beach I rarely do. The sand was not as difficult as imagined. I had a collapsible cane but didn't need it.
 
LeeApril26 How do you manage the subway with your hip. I am thinking about a trip to Toronto in about a month - I would be 4 months along but I still feel a bit of pain if I walk too far. If I go, I would have to be taking the subway to a few places. I am nervous about them anyway cuz we don't have any in Alberta so I am really not used to them. I am sure I will get hopelessly lost and then I would really be in trouble.
 
Slow and steady Mollyb, you will be surprised by four months. The trick is to take little breaks in your walking and if you are in pain and limping then you still need a walking aide. Full recovery can take up to two years.. by that I mean the healing you are not aware of that is happening :)
 
Mollyb. I was born in NYC and began riding subways alone at eight, as my mom worked; I went to my Grandma's after school. So, getting lost is not an issue for me. First rule if you get tired standing is not to ride big city subways before 10 a.m. or between about 3:30 and 6 p.m. And if you are still at all weak bring a cane, and some kind person will usually give you a seat. I have a collapsible cane in my bag on long days.
I am a week ahead of you-4/26 surgery- and I just started doing lots of walking in the past five days. I took the subway once about three weeks ago and did okay but had to take a cab home. Tried again today and it felt fine. Will do it both ways tomorrow(took a bus home today.) to Manhattan.
And, I would download a Toronto bus and subway map, or use google maps and get directions ahead of time to and from the places you want to go. If they have a subway system they probably also have buses. When I am in other cities I often ride the buses, as it is an inexpensive way to see things. The NYC transit system, MTA, has online maps and directions, and Toronto probably does, too.
Lastly, most NYers are happy to give directions if you are comfortable asking. Probably true in Toronto as well.
 
LeeApril26 Thanks for the info. As I never use public transit much, I never thought of the maps, etc. good idea. A few years ago I did win a trip to New York to be on the Montell Williams show. It was there show on Trash or Treasure. So I took my antique necklace to have it appraised on the show. I am from a small town and NY is such an amazing place. I would go back in a minute if finances would allow. Wee took all the tours that I am sure you have done and seen a million times. And yes everyone was very friendly and helpful when we asked for advice or directions. You said that you just started walking distances a week ago. Are you still limping at all. I am very conscious of my limp and really have to walk slowly and think about each step if I don't, I have quite a limp.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom