Guest viewing is limited

THR Just new

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am exhausted too many nites with too little sleep is beginning to tell on me. I think I will take a sleeping pill and hope I don't roll the wrong way. From reading posts there seems to be different ideas for timeframes for activities. Like when can u sleep on your side, driving, bending over 90 degrees, etc. it seems many doctors have different opinions.
 
Hi Mollyb

I have merged your recovery threads into this one, this is your primary thread.

We prefer to keep your recovery journey in the one thread for context. Please continue posting in this thread. It is important for the members and the staff to be able to follow your recovery journey in the one thread.

So post here only please - thanks :)

[Bonesmart.org] Just new
​


​
​
 
[Bonesmart.org] Just new
Mollyb, so pleased you have joined us here on the forum. Please read all the posts to you here in this thread---go back to page 1 and be sure and click on the links Poppet gave you and read those library articles. They are not lengthy and will answer a lot of the questions I know you have at this point.


FYI: For instructions on how to use the forum, hover your mouse or click on "Office" on the white bar at the top of the page. On the drop down menu, click on "How to Use This Xenforo Forum". You will find articles about the many things that are available to you when navigating the forum. Using this resource will enhance your enjoyment of the forum.

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish; giving you a place to vent, whine, complain if you need to; sharing experiences with one another; and having fun and some laughs along the way.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Just new Hugs
 
Judy is so right, Mollyb.....if you spend some time reading in our BoneSmart Library, starting with those links in a previous post, you'll have a much better idea of what to expect from your recovery. This is a time for patience. Don't worry about the house right now. It will be fine even if it's not as clean and orderly as usual. Your primary job is to rest and heal.
 
Mollyb Jamie said it so well, and the articles you read will explain the energy drain and sleeplessness and such. Never mind the house-- maybe a kind grandkid will do a bit of bathroom cleaning and laundry for you. Be careful how many important decisions you make at work-- I find that my brains are fried, maybe because of the general anesthetic, and certainly because of the percocet. I'm so glad you can pick away at it while at home-- but again, right now your primary job is to rest, and then nap, and then rest a little, and then maybe a snack :) Followed by, what a surprise, a nap! Give in to the nap attacks-- for me they really only lasted a couple of weeks. Now I can predict when they're going to happen-- like if I overdo it, for instance a little shopping errand. Or as last Sunday, sitting in church for 90 minutes-- that about killed me; I took three naps over two days to get over that one. Who knew? All I was doing was sitting down!:rotfl: :zzz:
 
Hey Mollyb, I too had a "tough" surgery...the leg dislocated when my surgeon tested it and he had to take out the socket and put a larger deeper one in so surgery was far longer than expected, blood loss greater yada yada. Had to get three units of blood and they blew out three veins doing it. I am at a week and a day now and while there are some difficulties mostly all is well. I am on replacement three this go round and the one thing I have certainly learned is that sleep will be illusive for a while and being awake in the middle of the night sure doesn't kill you. I pre plan different places to sleep. I start in our bed....if I get too hot, am thrashing too much, hubby snores too much I move. If I want a "cradled feeling" I move to the recliner in the living room where I am still on my back. If I want options and room to thrash around I go to the bed in my daughters room where I have a variety of blankets, foam wedge, big body pillow and a TV...I find th,at if I take the stress out of it and accept that some nights I may not sleep much I tend to sleep better. You can also have a good book around that you only read during midnight revels, you can. Always grab a snack, watch some dumb. Tv show, or read bonesmart to ease you back into zzzz land. Hope some of this helps and you continue to recover well.
 
I am having trouble walking properly without my cane. I can go for a few steps and then I start to lean to the right (hip surgery side)with each step. I want to walk properly without my cane but it is difficult. Does anyone have suggestions. I guess I wonder if it is best to strengthen my weak side walking unaided or walk properly with the cane. I am entering week 5 and many people seem to have discarded their canes long before this
 
I am having trouble walking properly without my cane.
Molly there is no timeline for this recovery. But the most important thing is to let your muscles and tissue recover. And if it is difficult for you to walk without your cane then keep using it. When you start leaving it behind you know you can wean off it.

BTW - I merged this post to your existing thread. Can you please keep all your questions here in this thread so we can track your progress? Thanks!
 
I finally resorted to sleeping pills last nite and slept well. I was so exhausted that I had to do something. It helped. I am feeling better today. The boredom is getting to me though. Friends and family have been great but I am certainly anxious to drive again. 6 more days to my my next doctors visit to see if I can get my clearance for. Driving. It certainly gives you incentive for all those exercises. I am really enjoying this website and all the caring people. I am a recent widow so it is a comfort to have people to share this crazy experience with.
 
Hi Mollyb, so glad you were finally able to get that much needed rest! It's a challenge I know.

I hope you know you are not alone in this. You are now a part of a big BoneSmart family! Keep us updated. We are here for you!
 
Welcome Molly. Driving was major issue for me, as I hate being trapped. Lol. Think I tried at week post op, and that was painful. So gave it a rest and tried again at 3 weeks. But I I think over here in Scotland it's usually between 6 and 8 weeks. X.
 
Mollyb as Jaycey already pointed out, the cane timing it completely up to your hip, and must depend on many factors such as how bad you were before. Use it with gusto, and one day you will realize you left it behind and can't remember where! Lots of people keep the canes for moral support, and for when the leg suddenly poops out and doesn't want to go any more. That's where I am.
Very glad you got good sleep last night :) That changes everything, doesn't it? :)
 
Welcome Molly. Driving was major issue for me, as I hate being trapped. Lol. Think I tried at week post op, and that was painful. So gave it a rest and tried again at 3 weeks. But I I think over here in Scotland it's usually between 6 and 8 weeks. X.

I'd driving at your discretion I have to clearance from my doctor or my insurance is void. I did get in the car and drove around the yard (I live on a farm so it is a big yard) all was good so I am anxious fort my appointment.
 
Hi Mollyb, just popping by to see how you felt after your little driving escapade around the farm?

This is such important early days in your recovery Molly, so slow and steady. :)
 
These days are getting to be very long. I guess that means I am feeling better cuz I am very restless. I feel I have read more books and watched more movies but nothing seems to interest me anymore. My first attempt at driving around the farmyard went well so tomorrow I am going to venture out to the field to check the cows. Not sure how the jarring will be on my hip so I will have to go slow. I am still not legally allowed on the road yet. My six week check is on the 19th so wish me luck
cgt
O
I
 
[Bonesmart.org] Just new
[Bonesmart.org] Just new
[Bonesmart.org] Just new
Mollyb, now that you're feeling better, getting bored and feeling antsy---watch out for the urge to do---and don't end up overdoing---it's so easy and we so regret it when we do.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Molly, be so very careful driving around the farm to check the cows, especially with the jarring.. You are at such an early stage of recovery.. :)
 
Mollyb.....hi molly....reading your thread it sounds a lot like myself....please please dont rush yourself to do things it could really set you back.....if you are doing things as your own body is telling you to be right you will be fine...im 3 months on now only just off my crutches and starting to feel the rough recovery has been worth it...sleep issues get much bettter trust me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom