THR Just new

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please remember to rest and do us walker or cruthers. You are so new, if you limp you still need a walker. Remember you did have a major surgrey and your body needs rest, elevation, lots and lots of ice and pain pills as the doctor said. This is going to take time. I can't tell you how long its going to take because it so personel. We have a Liberty which has so many articles that will help you right now and in the future. Please keep us informed so we know how you are doing and if you have any more questions please ask. Take care. Tashia
 
I have a lot of work to catch up on
such as? Are you back at work already? If so, what kind of job do you have?
my energy gives out on me
Yep, that's the way it goes Energy drain for THRs and you're only half way through as yet.
I am faithfully doing my "Phase 2" physio which takes about 45 minutes to help with the strength in my leg
And what does that involve? Care to give me the detail?

I also have some questions to ask you:
1. what medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?
2. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?
3. how high are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?
4. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and
5. what kind of PT are you doing? How much and how often?

And here are some important articles for you to read ...
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
 
And I forgot this, the BoneSmart mantra!
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!
 
Mollyb. I'm a couple of weeks ahead of you and I sometimes limp if I am tired, use cane when I'm outdoors, and rest and ice several times a day. My life is getting back to normal but if I overdo things I pay for it for a couple of days. Pay attention to Josephine's articles-it's very good advice.
 
I just thought I would dropped by to see how you are doing. Remember to rest. Tashia
 
such as? Are you back at work already? If so, what kind of job do you have? Yep, that's the way it goes Energy drain for THRs and you're only half way through as yet. And what does that involve? Care to give me the detail?

I also have some questions to ask you:
1. what medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?
2. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?
3. how high are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?
4. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and
5. what kind of PT are you doing? How much and how often?

And here are some important articles for you to read ...
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

I am only taking Extra Strength Tylan a couple of times a day. I never have used ice. I was in intensive care after the operation for the whole time - two days were necessary and then a shortage of beds in the hip ward so I guess intensive care doesn't know about ice. My exercises consist of - clam shell, leg lifts, knee bends, etc all recommended in my hip replacement handbook from the doctor. At 6 week check the dr said to slowly resume al normal activities except 90 degree of course. I go on a lot of walks but in the farmyard so somewhat uneven ground. I don't think it is anything out of the ordinary. I don't use any walking aids anymore maybe that is the problem. I try to elevate for about 3 hours a day. I work from home (bookkeeper) so I can limit sitting if it starts to hurt. Otherwise just lite housework . I do live in a three storey house so I am up and down stairs 20 stairs a number of times a day. I just don't know I've I should still be limping????
 
Please remember to rest and do us walker or cruthers. You are so new, if you limp you still need a walker. Remember you did have a major surgrey and your body needs rest, elevation, lots and lots of ice and pain pills as the doctor said. This is going to take time. I can't tell you how long its going to take because it so personel. We have a Liberty which has so many articles that will help you right now and in the future. Please keep us informed so we know how you are doing and if you have any more questions please ask. Take care. Tashia

Thanks for the encouragement maybe I am just impatient I will just keep limping intil it quits

Mollyb
 
Mollyb. I'm a couple of weeks ahead of you and I sometimes limp if I am tired, use cane when I'm outdoors, and rest and ice several times a day. My life is getting back to normal but if I overdo things I pay for it for a couple of days. Pay attention to Josephine's articles-it's very good advice.
 
For some patience is the hardest part of this recovery Mollyb. Try having an active day followed by a rest day. Icing and elevating frequently. Perhaps you should talk to your GP about other pain relief? Tylenol may not be doing the job for you. Or you could try the BoneSmart cocktail recommended by Jo .
 
Please remember to rest and do us walker or cruthers. You are so new, if you limp you still need a walker. Remember you did have a major surgrey and your body needs rest, elevation, lots and lots of ice and pain pills as the doctor said. This is going to take time. I can't tell you how long its going to take because it so personel. We have a Liberty which has so many articles that will help you right now and in the future. Please keep us informed so we know how you are doing and if you have any more questions please ask. Take care. Tashia

I was hoping the walker was a thing of the past after r6 weeks. Am I wrong I am reluctant to go back to my cane. Maybe the advice of go one day and rest the next might be good but I am anxious to get going but I guess my hip is protesting. Patience was not in my vocabulary but I guess it should become a part of it. Thanks for caring.
 
I just thought I would dropped by to see how you are doing. Remember to rest. Tashia

Hi tashia. Doing ok but just a little impatient about my slow recovery. Still limping but very major limp if I do too much. How about u how r u doing.
 
This is a roller coaster ride. Just over 6 weeks and I am getting tired of limping around. I have a lot of work to catch up on but everything seems to take so much time now and then my energy gives out on me. It is very frustrating. I am faithfully doing my "Phase 2" physio which takes about 45 minutes to help with the strength in my leg, but is it normal to be limping after 6 weeks or how long does it take to fully recover and walk normally.

Just letting you know that I am 11 weeks and still have a bit of a limp. My hubby thinks it is habbit - but I think it is muscle weakness - they are stronger, but I'm not fully recovered yet.
 
Hi! I'm 6 weeks today and know how you feel. I am still using a cane but sometimes walk away without it. I need it outside for sure on uneven ground. I don't know if I limp as I am wearing a leg brace to keep me strictly obeying the 90 degree rule. Two more weeks and it's off. I rest a lot but each day I get more impatient. I guess we have to listen to those ahead of us.
 
Just letting you know that I am 11 weeks and still have a bit of a limp. My hubby thinks it is habbit - but I think it is muscle weakness - they are stronger, but I'm not fully recovered yet.

I sometimes wonder if it is fear of pain that I limp but some busy days I know it is pain and then my limp is quite pronounced. Just thought I would be better after this long. I guess I should rest more but there is always soooo much to do. Glad to hear that you Re doing well at 11 weeks that gives me encouragement.
 
Thanks for the words of encouragement from everyone. I really appreciate it and also this website. It has kept me going through this recovery and also let's me know that my progres is somewhat on track even though it seems very slow. I have to somehow get a more positive attitude and just slowly ride it out. I know that if I rest more it does help but that is not what my mind wants to do but my hip seems to have conflicting ideas. What do you do?
 
Hi! I'm 6 weeks today and know how you feel. I am still using a cane but sometimes walk away without it. I need it outside for sure on uneven ground. I don't know if I limp as I am wearing a leg brace to keep me strictly obeying the 90 degree rule. Two more weeks and it's off. I rest a lot but each day I get more impatient. I guess we have to listen to those ahead of us.

I am 7 weeks and I have not used my cane at all this week but I may start taking it when I am outside cuz I am mostly on uneven ground so I will take your idea and use its then. I am trying hard inside to walk properly but it seems very forced and unnatural. I will have to work on that. That would be even more trying to have a leg brace on top of the surgery. What is the reason for that if u don't mind me asking.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Just new
my dear Mollyb, in recovering from hip replacement can be summed up in two little words: TIME & PATIENCE. You must have (or find) the PATIENCE to give your hip the TIME it needs to heal. You didn't get to the point of needing surgery overnight, and your hip is not going to be back to "normal" overnight either.

Keep in mind that your surgeon used not only a scalpel but also a hammer, a saw and a drill. Your bones, muscles, tendons, ligaments, and other soft tissues are been severely traumatized. It is going to take quite a bit of TIME for them to heal. Your body alignment has been changed as a result of the surgery---this will take TIME to adjust to both physically and mentally. And for all this to take place, you must have (or find) the PATIENCE to get to the end of recovery road.

So, please, sit back, take a deed breath, and relax and roll with the slow flow of recovery. This is not something that can be rushed by a lot of physical therapy----and aggressive PT could set you back or actually cause further damage. TIME & PATIENCE------TIME & PATIENCE-----you can't escape them.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Just new
 
MollyB have you read any of the articles Jo posted for you? It sure sounds as if you are doing far too much without adequate pain relief. Why aren't you using any ice? Ice turns out to be our best friend and ally in the healing process. You really need to remember that total healing takes 6-12 MONTHS. At six weeks you probably have a nicely healed incision, your soft tissue is starting to heal, as is your underlying muscle, and your bones are very much in the process of healing. Honor the process your body is going through, use a cane when you are tired, or limping and rest as much as you can still. To have a great result you need to give your body time to heal.
 
MollyB have you read any of the articles Jo posted for you? It sure sounds as if you are doing far too much without adequate pain relief. Why aren't you using any ice? Ice turns out to be our best friend and ally in the healing process. You really need to remember that total healing takes 6-12 MONTHS. At six weeks you probably have a nicely healed incision, your soft tissue is starting to heal, as is your underlying muscle, and your bones are very much in the process of healing. Honor the process your body is going through, use a cane when you are tired, or limping and rest as much as you can still. To have a great result you need to give your body time to heal.

Yes I know u are right i should honor this process I am going through. Thank you for your advice. I am not sure why I am not using ice. I didn't get it in the hospital so I guess I figured at this stage I didn't need it. I will check out different meds to help with the pain also. Had a bad day today I am sure tomorrow will bring lots of sunshine and a better outlook. Thanks for your help.
 
Hi Mollyb, all these tips we are giving you are tried and tested. Ice helps reduce the swelling which is causing pain. Regular icing is natural pain killer. And you do need to get on top of this pain control. That limp is your reaction to sore, angry muscles and tissue. Pain meds will help you get more mobile and allow you to strengthen those areas. Hang in there!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom