Meggzie
senior
- Joined
- Jul 1, 2013
- Messages
- 281
- Age
- 59
- Gender
- Female
- Country
Australia
Oh my goodness! Yes, I'd definitely have someone else ride first if they've been out of work that long - you dont want your first ride to be on a frisky pony!!
I have been lucky enough to have a saddle stand at home, so i know that I can get my leg over the back of the saddle and sit down (even if the stand is a bit narrower than the horse). If you cant rig something like that up, do you have a saddlery/tack shop nearby - or one that you're prepared to make a bit of a trip to? You could pretend to be saddle shopping and sit in a few in the store??
Oh, and sticking to the round yard in the beginning sounds like a very sensible idea too!
I'm very interested to hear how you go Mollyb - please keep us updated!

I have been lucky enough to have a saddle stand at home, so i know that I can get my leg over the back of the saddle and sit down (even if the stand is a bit narrower than the horse). If you cant rig something like that up, do you have a saddlery/tack shop nearby - or one that you're prepared to make a bit of a trip to? You could pretend to be saddle shopping and sit in a few in the store??
Oh, and sticking to the round yard in the beginning sounds like a very sensible idea too! I'm very interested to hear how you go Mollyb - please keep us updated!