Guest viewing is limited

THR Just had my hip replacement on Jan 14th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
nessiepie
I went to my second PT session today. The first, was basically a physical to check my ROM and strength but today the therapist was rolling out my muscles with a rolling pin type tool and put a ball on a block to loosen up my calf muscles. We didn't really do anything but mild stretches and practiced deep breathing with the stretches. I was surprised it wasn't more aggressive, I was expecting to be hurting afterward. I'm thankful I wasn't sore but was a little disappointed we didn't do something more obviously beneficial. I'm hoping this is just because it was my first real therapy session and they were just being cautious. The initial PT exercises they gave me in the hospital were more aggressive than the ones we did today. Has anyone had the same experience? Just wondering if this is common practice. I'm 10 wks Post op and have been going up and downstairs at home as well as the basic beginner set of stretches , x3 a day. I just haven't been officially going to PT until now.
I did go into work and was a bit more active today that usual. So I was feeling some pain in both of my hips before we even started the session, this may have been the reason she was easy on me. I guess it makes sense. I guess I would have been really hurting tonight if they got too aggressive. She was probably more interested in calming my muscles down. I'm doing OK right now, just icing tonight but I always do.
 
Hi Luluohio,
She probably did take your returning to work into consideration when planning your session today. It will get more intense:) . You don't want them to push you too hard too soon. I remember when I saw my OS after my home PT sessions were done. I was trying to get approval for more home visits (didn't work. lol!) he explained that going to out pt. PT is part of PT in itself. Because of the movement , walking, stairs, getting in and out of the car, etc. all help us get into theprocess of getting back to our normal routine. It made sense.
V
 
Lulu, so how's the PT going as well as getting back into the swing of things at work? Hope all is going well and as you look back, everything is getting better every week!
 
dede62
Hi Dede, Things are going well. I'm walking around the house without my cane but still use it at work and out for walks. I'm working 3 half days a week and may start back full time beginning next week. I'm still trying to get my stamina back, I'm pretty tired at the end of the day but each week gets better. I felt pretty normal today but if I sit a little too long I get stiff and at the end of the day my hip was hurting but not real bad.
I'm going to Whidbey Island this week for a 3 day get away. I have a friend coming out from Denver to visit and celebrate my birthday. I'll probably need to find the flat areas on the beach but I'm sure I'll be out there smelling the ocean air. I'm hoping for nice weather but the forecast isn't too promising. Just relaxing looking at the water will be fine with me.
PT is going well, I can feel I'm starting to gain some strength in my backside and my upper legs. I'm going to get a massage next week after my PT appointment. I sure can use one.
I feel so much better no more bone on bone pain and aching all night. I'm just having a little pain around the outside of my hip around my incision and sometime groin pain mainly after being up and around all day.
How have you been? It's nice to hear from you!
 
Hi LuLu
It sounds like things are going well. You had surgery a couple of weeks before me but it sounds like we are healing about the same. I am back at work fulltime and tire easily. I still use my cane at work and outside. and have some discomfort and soreness ( soft tissue healing) and on the side of my hip. I go to PT once a week due to the distance. I know what you mean about the stiffness :SUNsmile:
Keep up the good work .
 
Lulu, so glad to hear you are doing so well. Sounds like things are progressing as they should. I probably used my cane at work for about a month and then I'd carry it in and have it at my desk and if I needed it later in the day, I'd use it. Then I kept it in the car for another few weeks just in case. You'll probably notice the fatigue and residual soreness continue to diminish over the next month. You're doing great! Hope Bumper's loving life again!

My hip is perfect. No problems whatsoever with it (just hit 20 weeks). I am having issues with my foot and ankle, putting a pause on any formal exercise (walking and water aerobics were my exercises of choice). Initial conservative treatment wasn't resolving things so I'm wearing a walking boot for a few weeks to see if that helps. Fingers crossed I can start up again soon.
 
@nessiespie
Yes it sounds like we are healing the same way. I've been working half days but usually the 3rd day is pretty difficult to get through. My hip over the incision begins to hurt especially noticeable when I sit down or stand up. I'm just tired all the time. I go to bed early and don't want to do anything after work, just go home. I do keep up on my PT exercises and continue to use ice. I guess some day things will come together. I'm feeling stronger i just feel guilty because others at work expect you to be functioning as normal, when you return to work and that's not the case. I'm still feeling kind of foggy and tired. If they wait I'll be fine, the question is how long will they wait.

dede62
What is causing you foot and ankle pain? That doesn't sound good. I guess that's why I don't feel comfortable giving up my cane yet. i can walk around the house pretty well without my cane but I don't feel I can walk in a straight line without the possibility of tripping myself. I feel as though I might not move my one leg out of the way of my other and trip myself. I'm not confident in my coordination yet.
Bumper is doing well but I might need to take her into see the vet. She is having some problems with stinky poop. It's probably related to her surgery, it has been going on for a while. My hip took priority but now it's time to get it checked out. Stinky poop can be a problem especially in the summer time. I hope some antibiotics take care of it. She probably doesn't like it either.
 
Lulu,
Don't feel bad about the fatigue. I still get tired. I'm still a little foggy and forgetful. It is a process. We will be back in stride again in a few months.
 
Lulu, not really sure what the true cause of the foot thing is from. We believe that it is the compensation over the last 9 months or so now coming to the forefront. Ah, this too shall pass!

Sounds like a good plan keeping your cane close until you are truly confident and pain-free. No sense in rushing something that doesn't need rushed...

and Oh by the way, stinky poop is never good no matter what the cause... :snork:
 
Hey luluohio, nessiepie and dede62
Lulu I hope the weather has been cooperative and you've been able to enjoy your weekend getaway. That sounds like such a wonderful treat.

I've noticed that I get tired too and I get frustrated that I'm running out of steam. Then I remember the surgery. I've also noticed that my scar feels bigger and it itches when I'm more active. Dede I do hope that walking boot helps you ankle and foot pain. My knee acts up every once in a while but I can't tell it's from the new hip. Sometimes it's hard getting back into life. Since I'm no longer using my walker and rarely my cane my family thinks I am fit as a fiddle and am as able bodied as they are. I have to be careful because I start thinking that too and end up paying for it later.
 
Thanks Weezi. It's a little early to tell yet. I think it feels better, then I get a familiar twinge or burn... Time hopefully will take care if it. I've actually felt more worn out this week since I have in a long time since I've had the boot on. I'm going to post an update on my thread...

Regarding your knee, I had some same side knee pain after surgery (had some tendonitis there pre-surgery that acted up when I was on crutches), but post-surgery, it resolved itself as my leg started getting stronger. I can't remember exactly when it was but I think it was around 6-8 weeks when I really noticed it felt better all the time.
 
nessiepie
dede62
Weezi
It's been a while, I thought I'd check in and see how everybody is. I am back to work full time. Last week I walked around the office about 95% of the time without my cane for the first time and the last few PT appointments I did more standing exercises. I thought I was on my way to being normal, well Friday my outside of my hip started hurting and I went home a little early and all weekend I've been taking it easy at home, in hopes things will calm down. It's taking much longer than I expected to get back up to speed. I do admit every week I notice a big improvement and I'm getting stronger. I was able to get a few massages and this massage therapist did a lymph stimulation type of technique, I do think it helped reduce the swelling around my incision, to my surprise. What ever works I'll try. I might even give acupuncture a try next. I've never done that but several people at work say it has helped them.
I went out a bought a new car, well a 2010 Honda CRV. It was nice to get my self something to make my commute a little more enjoyable. It's great it has all the voice activations and navigation system. I thought I deserved it after going through this recover period.
I am also enjoying doing something with my brain again. I felt I was going a bit nuts, it's funny how your brain gets so deadened in such short period of time, of course it seems like forever too. My manager is taking it easy on me and knows I won't be 100% for a while.
I'm still lying low, going to work and coming home is about all the energy I have. I'm not going to over extend myself, I didn't even get out of the house this weekend.
I just found out the community center allows individuals 62 and over to pay $50 a year to use the entire facility, walking track, swimming pool and weight equipment. What a great deal! I guess if you have to be 62 it's something positive to take advantage of at this time in my life.
Getting back into my working routine makes me feel a bit more human. For a while I just didn't know if my energy level was going to come back but I feel much better since I'm getting back to my routine. So I hope to hang in there for another few years before I retire and now I need to pay off my car too.
Hope everyone is doing well and getting stronger too, let me know how things are going for you.
 
Hi Luluohio,
I'm glad to hear you are doing well. I am too but feel I have had somewhat of a set back. I was driving even though it has been challenging at times because I am having nerve discomfort and the muscles are being reactivated but the nerve, zings, pains and crawling feelings were getting to me, especially while driving. I amped up rehab at home by using a stationary bike, since I could only go to pt once a week. I think that played a part too. I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience after anterior RTHR. Stress from family/ life isssues has played a part too (thrown me into a Fibromyalgia flare) but things are getting better. Congrats on your new car.
that's always nice:ok:
 
Hi Nessiepie, I'm sorry to hear you are having that nerve pain. I guess over doing it seems to be a common problem. I would think we would know that by now. It kind of sneaks up on you. I felt fine walking around the office for 2 days without my cane. Then the pain just comes out of no where. Take it easy on that bike.
My PT says to do exercises every other day and I usually try to do them at least twice a day or more reps, I guess I better back off a little too.
I've heard nerve pain is more common in the anterior approach but I guess everyone is different. Others think the anterior approach is great and have less recovery time. Who really knows?
 
Luluohio and nessiepie ....You are both at a somewhat difficult time in the recovery process. You've healed enough to feel a whole lot better, and yet not enough to resume a completely "normal" life. Luluohio, going back to work at this point is great for your brain, but it is a huge energy drain, as you are finding out. In another month or two, that should ease up....the trick is to make sure you don't create any setbacks for yourself. Any break time you can build in for yourself at work would help. Do you have any flexibility in shortening your workday, or your work week? And are you able to sit whenever you need to? I am still appalled at how much harder it is to just stand around....I was at a museum last week, on a guided tour, and the start and stop, start and stop, just drove me crazy. I had to leave the group and wander at my own pace.

Nessie, the nerve issues have been attributed to anterior surgery, but both my posterior surgeries caused flare-ups of nerve sensations. For me they peaked around the two to three month point, and have since subsided. Go easy with the stationary bike for the time being. Just walking is great exercise, and you don't have to contend with a bike seat pressing into your nerves.

Bottom line....full recovery is a lengthy process....at least a year and often up to two years for many of us. Patience now will reward you later.

Sharon
 
Thank you Sharon,
This is just what I needed to hear. This started getting bad about 2 weeks ago. I am at 3 months and this week over all it is better than it was but some days OMG !. I started the exercise bike in hopes of keeping knees flexible and possibly strengthening weak quadraceps but I agree that may be making the situation worse.
My son said essentially what you have said , 3 months is not alot of time and just because I'm back at work doesn't mean I'm supposed to be healed. I just have to be patient. :thankyou:
 
Luluohio,

I guess no matter what approach is taken, it still is a individual thing in terms of recovery. My doctor prefers anterior and I was on board because the recovery time was supposed to faster, but I really didn't expect the nerve problems to this degree. You just never know.
 
sharonslp
nessiepie
Yes this is very discouraging. I know I'm doing OK but all this time I thought I was being pretty conservative and taking it slow. I really thought I was ready to give up the cane. I was obviously mistaken. This recovery is just taking much longer than I anticipated. Last Wednesday and Thursday I walked most of the day without my cane. Wednesday after effects were OK no problem, after Thursday I felt OK but then Friday afternoon the pain set in and over the weekend I just took it easy. Monday and Tuesday I am still having pain, today was worse in fact. I am walking with my cane again regularly and taking it very easy ever since last Friday. I'm worried about what tomorrow may bring. I'm still icing regularly. I'm waiting to be back to normal, this set back is rather depressing. Sharon you are correct going back to work is energy draining. I may just take off tomorrow and rest, I'll need to see how I feel tomorrow. Thanks for the encouragement.
 
If you can take off , get your rest. I went back at 6 weeks fulltime and was up early on Saturday doing PT and errands and Sunday chores and it was time to start all over again , I would be exhausted. My family has pitched in for me to help with a few little things. I'd hope I wouldn't need help but I guess I tried to pick up my whole presurgery life too soon. I too am a little surprised and disappointed at the rate of my recovery but it will get better.
 
nessiepie
I guess everyone recovers at their own pace. I'm 62 and I feel like I'm not getting up to speed as quickly as I expected. I really thought about hanging it up and retiring. I would like to work for another few years. I don't want to give up until I see if I get my energy back. So I might try to work a 4 day work week for a while until I get back up to speed. If that is possible, I might need to do a bit of negotiations.
It's good that you could go back after 6 weeks. I don't think I would even think about doing that, considering I didn't start full weight bearing until 4 weeks after my the surgery.
I do consider going to work as part of physical therapy. I know things will get better as time goes on. I can't wait until I get back to walking my 3 miles a day.
I took today off and I'm planning on going to work tomorrow. Maybe after this break I'll feel better.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom