THR Just had my hip replacement on Jan 14th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] Just had my hip replacement on Jan 14th.
Use the shopping cart. They are set to go fairly slowly and you control the speed. It is unlikely that you will run into things or knock things over. They are really very nice. I could not have bought groceries for several years without using them. The day is coming when you'll be able to walk all over Target or any other store or mall without any aid all on your own for hours if you want to. In the meantime, take advantage of what is available to help you.
 
Hey Lulu! I am amazed at what you are able to do already. I just went to follow up with OS yesterday and was told to stay on walker with only touch down weight bearing 4 MORE WEEKS! The x-rays looked great and I had really hoped I would be able to put more weight down as I feel like I am ready. I never imagined being on the walker for the entire 6 weels post op. I guess OS is on the very cautious side. It doesn't help that he's a man of very few words. Are you going to outside PT yet? I am done with in home PT and I am supposed to set up appt for therapy outside the home but I am too bummed to fool with it right away. I hate being dependent although I am quite grateful for the help I have had. Guess I'm just anxious to get on with it and four weeks sounds like an eterenity to me right now. I know we are all different but it's hard to stay put once you get to feeling stronger. Thanks so much for your encouragement after my surgery, I really appreciated it.:SUNsmile:

Hugs,
Weezi
 
bottomshollow thanks for the advice. I did have a tough time at Target. Pushing the cart made me limp and leaning on it hurt my back! When I came home, I prepared dinner! Now icing and resting... Did too much! I'm feeling kind of sick right now and I'm sure it's from doing too much! I learned my lesson!
 
These are hard lessons to learn, we all have those days when we feel like we can conquer the world, only to find we pay a price the next few days.. but if we don't push boundaries, how do we know what they are :

Back to the mantra, rest, elevate, ice and prescribed pain meds :)
 
Lulu and Mbone, I still like sleeping or lounging with pillows between my knees at 14+ weeks. For some reason it appears to keep my back in better alignment. Once my restrictions were lifted, they were all lifted. I have read on the site that some have certain restrictions for longer periods and some 'forever' restrictions. My biggest 'rule' is to not have the worst fall possible. For me, that includes doing anything that might put me in the kind of position that I could even have such a fall!

Just be careful venturing out in the real world. Keep your cane or crutch handy as they make good weapons to use on people that aren't paying attention to what they are doing! :whistle:
 
dede62 I have a fear of falling also. I'm a teacher and I have recess duty outside. Before my surgery I would say if the kids bump into me ....it's all over!!! I used to park myself by the fence and hold onto it with one hand and my cane with the other! I'm sure I will still be extremely careful when I go back to work, but I'll be able to walk around!
 
Mbone
Yes, I have mild to moderate arthritis and dyplasia in my L hip also. It's not bothering me much, so I'm hoping it will last the rest of my life. I'm so close to retirement I'm a little worried what to expect with Medicare coverage, if I need my L hip replaced sometime in the future.
My R shoulder has some fluid and arthritis going on too. Lately when I yawn my jaw pops and hurts so probably a little TMJ, no doubt a bit of arthritis too. I think when one joint goes maybe the others are close behind.

Don't you have those motorized grocery carts, you should use those when you go to Target. I've never used them before but I think it's time to use them now, then again, I might crash into something. I haven't got that brave to go out to a store yet. I use the Safeway home delivery, they carry the groceries into your house and put it on the counter for you. Amazon Local has that same service. It has been very helpful.

I keep on intending to ask my OS surgeon exactly what procedure and material he used. I keep forgeting. He said he was planning on using titanium and ceramic and the posterior approach but that's all I know.
I guess it doesn't matter too much but it would help when comparing notes with others.

I was up walking my laps around the house again today, so I did about 30 mins with my crutches and my PT exercises. I'm feeling better less pain but a little stiffness. It's been raining and I hate to take the chance of slipping with the crutches, so inside exercise will just have to do. I'm getting pretty good at picking things up off the ground using that straight leg method, it seems to work pretty well, where you put the operated leg straight behind you and bend with the unoperated leg. I guess when there is a will there is a way.
 
Weezi
I only had a 75% wb restriction and it was only a precaution because they said they were not sure if what they were looking at was a real fracture or just a artifact on the x-ray. When I went in for my 4 week follow up they did another x-ray and seemed to think it looked fine so they remove the wb restrictions. It sounds like you aren't allowed any wb at all? I think that's where the difference is.
My OS doesn't believe in any PT at home or outside. They told me it would be OK to swim and walk and continue the original PT exercises they gave me to do.
I have been using a exercise DVD and checking out some website for PT suggestions. I guess it all works but if I don't see progress I'll get some outside PT eventually. I'm stretching and avoiding over stretching and doing some leg lifts and marching type moves. I'm still healing and as long as I'm active and trying to get strength back and do range of motion exercises I'm coming along OK. I have another appointment in 4 weeks and I'll see what he suggests then, at that time I'll ask him about outside PT.

dede62
Poppet
I guess I'll stay away from Costco, probably big crowds are good to avoid at this stage of the game. The thought of falling is pretty scary, I'm glad you mentioned it. I wasn't even thinking about that. It is a real good reason to keep using crutches and canes for a long while. I noticed the few times I was out the more tired I get the less focused I am on things like that. It's kind of feels like I have blinders on, All I can think of is getting from one side of the room to the other. I tend to forget about my surroundings. Thanks for the tip.
 
luluohio I'm getting good at the straight leg back bending also. I seem to drop my cane a lot and the grabber is never near me when I do it. We do have the motorized carts around and I think next time, I will try to use one. Do you think there are instructions on it as to how to start it and everything? Do you have any back discomfort when you walk? I seem to be acquiring that now too. I have PT today, so I will ask about it. Maybe its the way I walk with the cane. I wonder why some of us have WB restrictions? I did not, I was full WB the day of the surgery.

We have some snow, so I might have my husband drive me to PT. I am afraid of slipping and falling!
 
Mbone
I don't know all the reasons for wb restrictions. They thought they saw a fracture in my femur post op. I guess it happens a lot with hip replacements. When they insert the stem in it must take a certain amount of pressure. Glue is used in some procedures and I believe that requires 0 wb restriction. Then and patient gradually go to 0 wb to 25% to 50% until they are totally off wb. Mine was only a 75% restriction so it was very little but still held me back because I couldn't do certain things for the first 4 weeks.


In my experience with my cane, it seems more difficult to stablize yourself so it probably requires more of your spine to keep yourself up right. Its bound to have an impact on your back if you are using only one arm and your little wrist to support a lot of your body weight. My OS told me to use my walker, once he took the wb restrictions off, to work on not limping and proper alignment. Using my walker full wb I try not to place any weight bearing on my arms but use to keep me from falling and I can comfortably practice walking with my back and body in alignment. I am constantly switching from walker to crutches to cane depending on the circumstance. I'm not in a rush to stop using any of them. They all have their benefits.

Yeh, I wonder about those little motorized carts too but if my dad used them I suppose we will figure it out. You can probably ask someone in customer service to give you some instructions, so you will have a clue. I'm just wondering about reaching for things on the shelves. It seems like you would be getting up and down alot but just having a seat close by probably is a big help.
 
Mbone You and I share the same date and I can't imagine tackling a store without having someone with me, so good for you. I can walk about 2 blocks, or lift 10 lbs, but not everything at once. I used carts before, and they're wonderful, when you can get up and down and reach. I worry about when I get home and getting groceries in the house. How does one carry a small sack of groceries when using a cane and not risk falling?

I've been using the local Safeway and had delivery #2. I'll take my first trip out when I have a friend with me.

Afraid of falling too; my stem is longer since it's a revision, and sometimes when I move wrong it HURTS! Since my surgery went wrong once, I want it to heal in well this time. Fractures take 6 weeks, and that's why we get that restriction. I'm giving it that and maybe a little more.

luluohio It's normal to switch off to different appliances as you became more independent. I have 2 canes at different locations and my walker. Since my PT wants me to quit using the cane in the house, it's hard but I'm doing it. I always use a cane outside. But don't compare to me, since I didn't have my cup redone - and I'm glad for that! I thought my PT was crazy when he said to not use the cane at home 2 days ago, but my walking is much better,I do use them when I get tired too. I think you're making great progress for what you've been through, girl!

HH
 
luluohio I agree, more upper body is used when using the cane. Even using the walker uses upper body. I used the walker for the first 4 weeks. I had no WB restrictions. Just as of the last few days, have I been using the cane as my only device (except for showering, I use the walker for more stability so I don't slip on the floor when exiting). Unless the items are arms level, I guess we would have to stand up and reach to get things. I think I will watch next time I see someone in one to see what they do. My daughter refuses to go with me if I use a motorized cart..she is afraid I will run into things. There has to be a better way to maneuver around the store independently. Maybe I will use my walker. I have two walkers..one without wheels and one with wheels and a seat. I like to take the seated one so that I can sit and rest if need be.

HappyHippy I do not know if I am able to walk two blocks? I walked the perimeters of Target..do you think that is 2 blocks? As of right now...my things are sitting in the trunk of my car waiting for some one to get them. It is impossible to maneuver a cane and carry in bags. I guess grocery shopping is still out of the question unless there is someone to get them. I was fortunate to not having any problems...but it really amazes me that they drilled into my bone and inserted some rod without breaking the bone. No wonder my OS said he was glad I had good bones. I have osteoarthritis...but I have strong bones!

I asked my physical therapist if I was at par with other hip replacements...and she said I was ahead. Funny, I don't feel ahead!:yahoo:

I love going on this site and seeing others progression!
 
Mbone
You know you are only a week behind me and I think next week you should see quite an improvement. I am finally starting to feel human. I just took my shower and did a load of wash, cleaned up some dishes in the kitchen and I'm feeling so good. I didn't even need any pain meds afterward. Usually I take something after doing all that. I'm waiting for Safeway to deliver some groceries right now. Why aren't you using them? It's such a good service and the first delivery is free. I had some problems with my first delivery and they gave me another free delivery and $10 off. You got to try it, it's great. Then there is Amazon Local and I'm sure they do their first delivery free too.
Why would your daughter not what you to use one of those carts? She needs to understand it is for your safety. My dad was 85 years old and in poor health and he was able to manuever that thing just fine (well most of the time. He did some crazy things when he first got his scooter, like driving down the center of the road with the rest of the traffic. Crazy man- one of his neighbors called to tell me). OK I'll quit going on but I'm just concerned for you. Please be careful!! It's really better to be safe than sorry. That all said the walker would probably atleast be safer, I'd give it a week or two anyway.
 
Mbone it counts as 2 blocks to me! Now did you use a shopping cart for support? You had surgery the same day as me, so I'm your best comparison, and I wouldn't walk through a large store yet. I can do small trips for light items, but that's it. 2 blocks in my neighborhood with a cane is my max. I'm not pushing it because the bone didn't grow into the stem last time, and I want this surgery to work. But I'd say you're ahead. Were you an Anterior?

Those motorized carts take a little skill. I used them before my first surgery, as I was in so much pain an could barely walk. I remember knocking into a few displays, and there were some stores not layed out well for carts. Grocery stores were better, but I had to get up and down, and still had to handle groceries. But they can really help once you learn how to use them.
 
'The thought of falling is pretty scary, I'm glad you mentioned it. I wasn't even thinking about that. It is a real good reason to keep using crutches and canes for a long while. I noticed the few times I was out the more tired I get the less focused I am on things like that. It's kind of feels like I have blinders on, All I can think of is getting from one side of the room to the other. I tend to forget about my surroundings. Thanks for the tip.'

That is a very interesting point you have raised, because it is exactly that... when we are physically fatigued our mind is also fatigued trying to cope with moving the right way, even remembering how to move.. so, yes, I guess the answer is to rest more frequently, even for 5-10 mins. You are still in the early weeks of your recovery, but you are doing well :)
 
If you want a good chuckle about the carts, our Grand Hoo-ha Bonesmart warrior (aka Damn!) had a literal run in with a school display at Target, I believe. It was quite the amusing account of her outing! She's had her share of incidents that kept us in stitches as we were recovering over the holidays. Another particular incident was her light bulb adventure... She is an AP at a high school in FL on a very open campus and she was using a golf cart to get around a bit. We thought she'd be more skilled with the carts, but as HH says they're quite tricky to get comfy with
 
bottomshollow
Hi I was wondering. My OS just took me off the 75% wb 2 weeks ago when I had my first post op appt. I had an x-ray while I was there.They the (OS and the PA) must have decided that I didn't really have a fracture after all but i was using a walker all that time. Now I'm using a cane and walked a mile the other day, which caused me quite a bit of pain later that night. They are really cutting my pain meds, even though my activity is increasing, is this normal? What do you think? Should I cut back my physical activity to try to avoid the pain, it doesn't seem normal.
I was going to a physiatrist before my surgery and he was giving me pain meds to keep me active. Now they are decreasing pain meds and still want me to be more active and use a cane instead of a walker or crutches. What would you do? Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. I am 6 wks post op now but just got off my wb restrictions 2 wks ago.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Just had my hip replacement on Jan 14th. I can only surmise that the pain the from the mile walk was the result of doing more than the hip was ready for at this time. I would pull back a bit and give the hip time to adjust to full weight bearing for the next couple of weeks and then slowly increases walking distances and other activities and exercises. You are an adult and you (or your insurance) are paying for the PT--so speak up for yourself and let them know that if they're going to cut back on the pain meds, you'll have to cut back on the activity. They might not like it, but this is YOUR recovery and YOU have the say so.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Just had my hip replacement on Jan 14th.
 
bottomshollow
Thanks for your comments. My OS does not believe in PT, at this time, in the recovery process. I have only done the ROM exercise they gave me in the hospital and went from walker, to crutch, to cane. I told him I walked a mile and he said if it hurts i shouldn't be doing it, to cut back. I am taking extra Tylenol to see if that helps. It might all work out, i guess I'll see if things are a little less painful with decreased activity. It might just take me longer to recover with this approach. I don't know if decreased activity will actually help the healing and make the pain less in a few weeks, it does seem logical. I might go nuts by then though. I'll call him.
 
Well I went in for my 8 week post op appointment with my OS. They finally wrote me orders to begin PT. Now having trouble choosing the best one to fit my needs. I went to one that helped me quite a bit before my surgery but I'm unsure how good they are with hip replacements. I felt I benefited from them with the exercises they showed me and strengthened my legs and got me ready for surgery. They always seemed to spend the shortest time possible with me though, they had me out of there in 20 mins to 30mins. I guess really they just need to give me my exercises and I really just need to do them at home faithfully as I always did in the past. How long is a typical PT appointment? I don't have a clue. I guess maybe I'm reading too much into the length of the appointment and not really the quality of exercises they recommend. Can anyone tell me what they have experienced with PT? I would like a little advise on what I should look for in a good PT practice.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom