Guest viewing is limited

THR Just had my hip replacement on Jan 14th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My experience with PT is as follows: In-home therapist usually spent an hour with about 45 minutes of actual exercise. Both hubby and I have had in-home. Out patient therapist usually spend about 30 minutes. This is the case for my hubby who had PT before surgery and is having it currently. The expectation is that you will do a certain amount of the exercises at home between PT sessions.

Hips do not need a lot of PT. Just walking and living your life usually give them all the exercise they need unless you are a serious couch potato.
 
bottomshollow
Thanks for this information. I think I'll go back to the same place I went to before surgery. I was happy with the results and you confirmed my thoughts about PT.
 
luluohio, I thought I'd respond on your thread instead of weezi's. I'm no super woman, but thank you for thinking I am. I was really lucky-- I was fully weight bearing on the first day, and I was walking without a cane in less than a week. But I have underestimated how exhausting healing is, and I wish I had waited a week and then gone back half days. But I'll get through it-- I made a commitment to be there and there are people counting on me.and they have been great-- I even got to take a nap this afternoon. Thanks for caring so much.
 
Lulu, it's hard to believe it's been 8 weeks! Sounds like things are going well and uneventul and that's a good thing!

As far as PT, it varies just as our recoveries, etc are different. Pre-surgery when I was trying to strengthen things I would have an hour of PT but only once a week. I did exercises at home in between appointments. Post-surgery, I had in-home PT and appointments were usually 20-30 minutes but 2-3 times a week. A lot will depend on how your doctor wrote the order and how you progress. More isn't always better. Make sure to verbalize if something hurrts and stop doing it. You will learn the difference between discomfort from reconditioning and stretching your muscles and something that is detrimental. You will know the difference because your hip will tell you right away. Trust it!

If you liked the PT you went to before, ask them how many people they've worked with that are your age that have had THR. They shouldn't be offended by your questions. You need to find someone that works for you. My doc's practice has a facility across from the new Swedish Hospital in Issaquah and they provide PT services there. I can't say one way or the other for or against, as I didn't use the PT, but they've done right by me on every other front both there and in Bellevue. Good luck with your search and keep us posted with your progress!
 
Hey Lulu,
My PT appointments last about a hour and 20 minutes. The last 10 to 15 are spent icing the hip. They don't have me using any excercise equipment. The majority of it is spent on the table doing excercises like leg lifts while on my back then on my stomach. The ones on the stomach are the toughest for me. I also do the isometric ones but I could do all of it at home except for the stretches. They have me teeter my behind on the edge of the table with the operated leg hanging while they push back on the other leg. The stretches are my favorite because it really gets to that tight groin area. We chose a place close to home since I'm not able to drive yet. It's ok but I would have preferred to go to one in the city. The place I am going to is rather small and the same therapist may have as many as three patients he's working on at the same time in close proximity. If you have a choice you may want to check out their facility and make sure they take your insurance.
 
Hi lulu! I go to a sports rehab place. They say sports rehab, but they work with everyone. Since I want to be really active it works for me. My PT appointments are about 1/2 Hour, but that is because (1) I am really good about doing my exercises at home, and (2) I am currently sort of doing a reverse progression of the exercises I did before surgery. I had a pretty steep drop in functionality, so before surgery my exercises kind of went from harder to easier. Now I am doing many of the same ones in the reverse order, if that makes sense. Anyway since most stuff isn't really new, it is more about getting my form right. Plus now I don't compensate for the bad hip. Does your dochave any referrals?
 
dede62
I asked the girls at the front desk at my last pre-op appt if they worked with THR, they said they did. I need to call and talk to the manager of the PT department to get the real story. I don't mind if the appointment doesn't take long, I would rather get in and out quickly anyway. The very first PT place I went to about 4 years ago would put a heating pad on my hip for about 15 mins before they would start my stretches. This place is just meat and potatoes and get right down to the exercises but they gave me a lot of good ones and I did benefit from them. I'll check it out tomorrow.
I went for a longer walk today but I think I went a little too far away from home. I was dragging my self for the last four or five blocks on the way home but boy when I headed out I felt like I could walk forever. I probably walked about a mile and a half today. I'm not really too sore either, yet, we'll see tomorrow.
Weezi
Wow an hour and 20 mins that's a long appt. I guess it really must vary from practice to practice. I hope they do some of those stretches for my hip. I think I could benefit from that. I might see if I can get a massage while I'm there too. This practice supports massage therapy, acupuncture and PT as well as physiatrist to help extend the life of your hip so you can avoid surgery.
I have ice on my hip constantly every time I sit down on the couch and when I go to bed, I never realized the great benefit of ice. I wish I would have realized how much ice helped prior to my surgery, I always put heat on it instead because I was trying to kill the pain, it probably caused more problems than it helped. I just hated the sound of ice in the winter time. Oh Well we learn by our mistakes, a little too late.

Nice hearing from you both, it's been awhile. Keep in touch.
 
nerdgrrl
My doctor didn't really refer to any place specific. He told me to go to anyone I wanted to. I had a lot of good exercises they gave me before my surgery. I was tempted to start doing them again but held off because I thought they might be too much too soon. I have an elliptical and think I'll get a lot of use out of it , once I get the OK.
Yes, right before surgery my functionality went down hill and I couldn't do much of anything about a month and a half before surgery. When I got to that point it was hopeless, I didn't do much of anything. Luckily I was exercising regularly for about 6-9 months before I got to that point and walking a lot.
Thanks for your feedback. Nice hearing from you.
 
The place I am going to has locations in Federal Way and Seattle, so they might be a bit far for you. I have also had good luck with the folks at Therapeutic Associates. They have locations in many areas of Puget Sound. Good luck!
 
nerdgrrl
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I will go back to the same place I went to pre-surgery. I called to make an appointment but they were already closed at noon on Friday. So I'll get in touch with them on Monday.
I tried to start my car, that had been sitting in the garage for the last 2 months, it died. I had to call AAA and get a jump but it's died again after AAA left. I think it might be the alternator so something else to deal with before I get back to normal. I always said car trouble is just as bad as health problems but after this experience I'll never say that again.
I still am having problems with exhaustion after being out a few hours or up and around the house doing chores for a few hours. I just feel weak, I would think that feeling would be gone by now. I will be 9 wks tomorrow. I did really start cleaning this filthy house for the first time today and was scrubbing and de-cluttering the counter tops. I put a lot of things away that have been sitting out since I had the surgery. I'm getting back to normal but I was tired by the time I finally gave up. So much more to do! I guess it will have to be a little at a time. I am gaining more flexibility bending down and putting things on the lower shelves in the kitchen cabinets.
I didn't make it out for a walk today but I think I got my share of exercise today.
Going to the casino tomorrow for St Patricks Day for the brunch. It should be a nice relaxing day. Happy St Patricks Day! Wish me luck.
 
Good luck! I think your tiredness levels sound about right. When I went back to work at 8 weeks I was still really tired by the end of the day. Cleaning in hard work! Just make sure to get your rest and you will build up your stamina. It sometimes isn't noticeable progress day to day, but I can certainly say I have more stamina than a month ago and way more than 2 months ago.
 
Oh and sorry to hear about the car troubles. Could it be that you just need a new battery? I realized mine needed to be replace when it started to have trouble holding a charge.

How did the casino go? We went to a St. Patrick's day party at a friends. Had a good time and met some new folks.

Also, if you were happy with your pre surgery PT, I think it is a great idea to go back to them.
 
nerdgrrl
Lost too much money at the casino. At least the St. Patrick's day buffet was good. A bit odd though, they usually have dim sum on Sundays and in this case they had dim sum plus and St Patrick Day buffet. The corned beef was very good.
I've got to get my car into the shop as soon as possible to get it fixed, hopefully tomorrow.
I'll start PT this week too. I starting to get around better, even though I'm still using my cane. Hopefully next week I'll be cane free.
I actually got in my big bath tub this morning and soaked for a long time. Before surgery I thought I might never be able to take a bath again. Luckily it's a corner tub with a little built in raise seat on the side. It was easy to sit down and slide in and out of the tub with no problems.
I'm really surprised I can do things I never thought I would ever be able to do again.
I also have a small sports car (Buick Reatta) I thought I was going to have to get rid of because it is so low to the ground. Now I don't think it will be a problem getting in and out of it eventually. I don't think I'll try that till later this spring or summer.
 
I went to my first PT appointment. They basically just did a physical exam and tested my range of motion and strength. They seemed to think I was doing real well for the stage I was at considering I haven't had any PT. He said I shouldn't be getting in the bathtub yet, even though it has a raised seat. He said I should wait for another 4 weeks or so the strengthen my muscles.
It was a very informative appointment and I'm glad I finally had a chance to get some questions answered.
They said they would take over my rehab and pain management. I'm very happy they are now involved in my care. I was getting a little concerned, beginning PT and going back to work at the same time, seems like a big step after sitting and not being very active for so long. Life if getting back to normal! It feels so good!
I got rid of the walker that was sitting in my living room for so long. My living room and bathrooms are getting back to a normal living space. I still need need to remove the final items that are making my place look like a nursing home and I'll feel much better. I believe that will happen tomorrow. It's just how do you get rid of the stuff like the toilet risers? Who would want them? That might be filling up our landfills. Too bad they don't recycle them.
 
Check with your local senior center. They may take them. Cleaned, of course. Those donations can be a godsend to someone on a fixed income.
 
@luluohio,
Just thought I'd post my PT - just had my 4th visit yesterday. Like Weezi mine lasts over an hour. The first 10 minutes I get a heat compress to warm things up then the PT stretches me and massages my scar. I also do bridges and lift 4 pound weights. Then I go into the gym for more equipment - upto 10 minutes on the stationary bike then biodec which works on my range of motion. I also do side steps, balancing on my operated side, walking facing the mirrow to improve my gait, slides down the wall and on the "wobble" block where I rock side to side and front to back. I also do the hamstring machine (50 lbs) and another where I just move my knee back and forth. My new exercise yesterday was standing on a step and tapping my heal to the floor in front both sides. This was very difficult on my operated side so I had to hold on to the banister and do less reps. (I've learned to speak up if things are uncomfortable!!). This all ends with icing (my favorite)

I hope you PT goes well.

MJ
 
mjmrphy55
Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking forward to making more progress and getting fit again. I can imagine icing is a big help after PT. I'm kind of nervous about starting work and PT at the same time, just wondering how sore I'm going to feel after a PT session. I had more pain than usual last night because all the manipulation that was done yesterday, at my appt and we didn't even get around to doing exercises. I guess it can't be any worse than what we already have been through. My next PT appt is tomorrow. I'm looking forward to see what my first work out might look like.
I'll also be going into work to meet with my manager and discuss the work schedule for the next few weeks.
 
Unfortunately, I can only go to PT once a week now that I am back at work. Tomorrow will be 8 weeks. I had at home PT for two weeks. The outpt PT lasts 45 minutes. I had anterior and was concerned about the numbness and the PT said to not worry it does improve. I returned to work last week and started driving myself this week. Driving has actually seems to be therapy itself. The numbness is going away and I can feel the nerves and muscles doing their thing more. It is not painful but I am aware of it. My PT did show me how to massage the quadracept muscles and I think it does help.

I felt bad at first about not going to PT more during the week but The drive from my job out to the PT gym is quite a distance and I really do not feel up to it just yet. I set my timer on my phone hourly to walk at work so I don't get to stiff. I do my foot pumps and heel stretches when I am at my desk. I do also do exercises at home.
 
Hi...looks like u are doing all the right things please keep posting to inspire the hippies a few weeks behind you
Clifforf
 
You will be fine Clifford, Post -Op , stick with the mantra, Rest, Elevate and Ice. Be patient with yourself and the healing process. We sometimes want to do too much too soon and it backfires (not fun:sorry: ) Don't learn the hard way. lol! Respect your body and appreciate what ist has gone through and will go through to heal.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom