THR Just had my hip replacement on Jan 14th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poppet
I wish I knew that before I had my hip replacement. I was spending a lot of money on G & C. Does Boswella help at all in later stage OA?
 
Dear luluohio I stumbled upon nanamac's thread where you had posted, and came over to see how you're getting on. I'm sorry you're still having problems. I know how you feel, as I'm not better yet, either.
I saw a new OS who feels I have bilateral ilopsoas tendonitis and that's what is causing my groin pain. I liked him, and he seemed experienced and said he sees at least 1-2 cases of it a year with anterior surgery patients. He told me not to do hip exercises anymore, just try to walk and if I'm not better in 6 weeks, he'd inject the area with cortisone. I felt relieved to have a diagnosis - my original OS called it 'soft tissue inflammation' , which is more vague and told me to do whatever activity I wanted to, despite the pain. So this new OS seemed more reasonable, and has a treatment. I'm so worried that nothing will help me, though.


After reading how much poor nanamac has suffered, and how you're suffering, and how things seem to take so long, just to get an appointment. The months are passing, I'm supposed to be back at work in 6 weeks, I won't know if the shot will help soon enough to tell them if I'll be back. I don't want to give up my job. I feel somewhat like nanamac with being discouraged, but I'm hesitant to post it, as everyone else is getting better but me. I'm happy for them, but don't like to be the one posting my problems. I'm wondering if this new OS is right, or he was assuming that's what was wrong, and could it be the implants rubbing or something? He didn't do any imaging, so how can he be sure? Does US show soft tissue irritation, inflammation or tendonitis do you know?

Did you see another OS yet? Poppet has been very supportive to you. I didn't get notified the last time you tagged me, when you hurt your back. I'm so sorry. Is your back better now? How is your bursitis? Any relief? I have also taken Gluco/Chond, for over a year now, with no improvement. I've researched tumeric/curcumin, and it's been studied as a good natural antinflammatory. I just ordered a bottle today of a brand that's been tested and shown to be pure and has enough of the important ingredient needed. If you're interested, I can give you the info. Another BS member found it very helpful to her finger pain within 3 weeks.
I've been using Elmore Oil and it helps for a while, not very long and it doesn't help really bad pain. Do you find it useful? I managed to get a TENS machine, and that has been helpful, but today I had severe groin pain, and it didn't seem to help. If you're interested in a TENS, I'll be happy to share that info with you, too.

Keep in touch, luluohio. I also feel like things aren't working out for me, either. I hope you find an OS that will look into your pain for you and give you an answer. Unfortunately, I have a feeling my search for an answer isn't over yet, either. I don't want to be discouraged, but it's hard not to be. Maybe Cymbalta will help the pain. I need to look into that more as well. Take care. Thinking of you.:friends:
 
Did you see another OS yet? Poppet has been very supportive to you.

ByGosh and luluohio... Have I missed a tag?
 
Oh thank you so much for responding Knitter4444 ! How good of you. I'm glad to know that, as I've been wondering - I even asked my rheumatologist, and he didn't know! So thanks again.
 
ByGosh
Surprisingly I'm all of a sudden finally doing much better. I still feel like I'm just on the verge of getting my bursitis back when I do a little too much activity. I still use my cane about 75% of the time because I have muscle spasms if I don't use it. I have been swimming and going to PT again. I saw my OS and he said he just thinks I'm prone to bursitis and he might give me a cortisone injection in 3 months at my next appointment if it has not improved. I'm happy with my progress now, even though it took me 7 months to get here. I think my body just doesn't like my replaced hip. I guess opening up my joint space with new parts is something it was not expecting. My hip was bone on bone and probably was all compressed, I'm sure it took up less space and my muscles need to get use to all the new parts. Today I felt pretty normal I just need to take it slow and realize I'm taking a little longer than usual to heal. I'm confident all will be fine in a few more months. It just takes some patience. Thanks for asking, I haven't been on this site lately. How have you been?
 
luluohio Just catching up with your thread and I am delighted that you are feeling better now and that you are happy with your recovery now.It is so true that every recovery is unique and some of us just take a bit longer but we get there in the end.I think you are onto something about the muscles needing time to adjust to the implant which takes up more space than the worn out and compressed hip.I am so happy for you.Take your recovery slow and steady.
 
luluohio
Surprisingly I'm all of a sudden finally doing much better.
That is such good news! I'm so happy for you! It's wonderful that you're feeling normal, and are able to go swimming and do PT and still feel good. Things finally turned around for you! :) It gives me some hope for me.

I wish I could report good news, too, but unfortunately, I'm in the middle of trying to figure out why I have severe groin pain. I went to a new OS, and he felt it was tendonitis. I had an ultrasound that showed tendonitis and bone spurs. He gave me cortisone shots in each hip joint last week, but so far, I've only had temporary relief a few half days. I'm afraid that I'm sinking into a feeling of hopelessness over this. I just don't seem to be getting better and can't really do anything. I can just about keep up my usual daily activities now. I spend most of the time, especially in the past few weeks, on the couch with ice! It's just terrible. I seem to be getting worse. I did have a CT scan on Fri and hope to get the results tomorrow, and also results of cultures that were done on fluid the doc aspirated from my joint during the injection procedure. I think an MRI is my next step, and maybe prednisone by mouth for an extended period of time.
I'm sorry to give such a negative report on my lack of progress. I wish I would just get better! But your progress is very inspiring for me - I hope that means I can improve, too.

Good luck, and I'm really happy for you. You went through a lot and it took awhile, but you made it! Keep in touch.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom