Guest viewing is limited

THR Just had my hip replacement on Jan 14th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lulu,

You had a fracture so you need to take it easier. I know it's not easy to stay on a walker longer and have hip precautions.

Funny, I hadn't even thought about leg hair. I had a manicure and shaved my legs well prior to surgery, but I'm fair with very straight thin hair, so it's barely noticeable. And I think when you get to be my age with no hubbie or bf, you don't care so much. This isn't shorts weather here, unlike you Aussie's. My budget for fancy lingerie is lower too. Most of the time I'm in running bras. Boy cut panties are better when healing too, as they don't have elastic to cut into your leg. This isn't a sexy time of your life - or at least mine. :wink:
 
Hi Happy Hippy, Yes, I have fair hair too. I guess that's why I didn't think about it. I was shocked, I never would have guessed I had such hairy legs. Wierd!! I've been wearing comfortable yoga pants usually long so that's one reason I didn't notice. My sister brought back some Nair the first time I took a shower but that didn't seem to work so she returned it. That was the last time I looked, about a week after I got home. I guess I'm getting better. I feel like I'm becoming human again.
I hope this fracture won't lead to more complications in the future. I've read too much lately about fractures and hip replacements. I don't like reading some posts that people went on the have several surgeries after the first one. I guess you had some problems causing your revision. Did you have a fracture? I'm hoping this will be my one and only surgery and go on like a lot of people to feel like it's my own hip joint. I'm so happy my bone on bone pain is gone.
I'm just curious what I can do for excercises when I finally recover. I was reading a fitness magazine and looking at all the excercises in it, thinking well I'll be able to do that one but probably not that one. Then there was one girl in the post op scar section that was lying on the beach on her stomach. I don't know how you would go about doing that post op.
My OS said it should heal in 4-6 weeks if it is really a fracture. He still had a question whether it was real or not. I'll find out more on the 15th. Everybody is doing so much more than me. Driving at 3 weeks, going out for walks. I don't know.
 
Hi Lulu. A number of us experienced fractures during THR and were only allowed limited weight-bearing for six weeks... perhaps longer. It is something that happens quite often and in most cases, simply means we have to go a little slower and NOT compare our recoveries with others, whose cases were more straightforward. It doesn't necessarily mean more surgery or complications ahead, so try to stop worrying about 'what if' and focus on the positive. You've been brave and had the surgery, with very little support... you should be proud of yourself. Honestly, the worst is over. I know its frustrating to sit around and feel helpless, but it is an essential part of the healing process. Until the 15th, just relax and take it easy, hobble around a bit and stay safe. You will be doing life-affirming exercises soon enough (and if you're anything like me, hurting a bit) so you need to make sure the bone sets up. Your surgeon is playing it safe, which is a very good thing.

HappyHippy I don't shave my legs to look sexy... chance would be a fine thing at this stage! But for those of us who've shaved regularly for donkey's years and tend to grow itchy, dark bushes on our legs, it's a luxurious necessity!
 
Vida Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know what to think really. I thought I might be up for problems with the stem loosening. I guess that's up in the air, whether that actually happens to anyone. It helps to know it is a common problem. I just didn't know that. I don't mind sitting around , as long as I'm making progress. I'm getting stronger and feel more comfortable with my situation. My incision looks fabulous, not that that's the most important thing but I'm glad my surgeon took the time to put things back together correctly. I'm hoping that all the internal parts look as good.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Just had my hip replacement on Jan 14th.
Lulu, just want you to know that even without a fracture, my OS had me only 20% weight bearing for 6 weeks, which is pretty close to no weight at all. Had to use my walker all that time. (I did not want crutches nor were they mentioned to me.) It does make recovery seem mighty slow in the beginning, but it does give you the necessary time to let things settle and really get a head start on healing. I was then allowed about 75% for the following 2 weeks using a cane. After that it was "Katie bar the door." All restrictions were off and I could do whatever I felt I could do.


Sure that was a total of 2 months, but when I considered that I had spent about 7 years in pain and being unable to do much of anything, it seemed a small price to pay to be pain free, able to walk and stand and do!

Down the road when you look back, it won't seem that it took as long as it seems now. You're doing great. Remember---TIME & PATIENCE---YOU WILL GET IT DONE!!!

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Just had my hip replacement on Jan 14th.
 
@bottomshallow Do you think I could get by with a cane right now, with my 75% wb? I was told by PT I should use my walker but maybe I could try a cane. I have one. I tried crutches and I have wood floors the first few steps I felt the rubber on the bottom of the crutch grab the floor and felt like I was going to fall flat on my face. I use crutches to go up and down the stairs but I don't feel comfortable with crutches. I guess I'm not very coordinated.
 
I see no reason you cannot try the cane in the house where you will have other things you can grasp if necessary. You need to feel that you are not putting much more than 75% weight on your leg. And you need to feel comfortable and stable using the cane. So practice in the house a lot. Also try using the cane on the stairs----very, very carefully at first.

But if using the cane causes you to limp---best go back to the walker. No limping allowed, if possible.
 
@bottomshallow Great suggestion! Thank You so much, I'll let you know how I do. I'll feel so unburdened to get rid of this walker.
 
Yes, the walker is great in the beginning---but when you're trying to maneuver around the house, it really does get in the way.

And just FYI, so you can really tag me in the future---my user name is bottomshollow (all o's).
 
bottomshollow Well I tried the cane I guess I'll practice with it. I think my main problem is my left wrist seems to weak take a lot of pressure when using the cane. I might be doing something wrong. (I looked it up on youtube)I might try one of my crutches and see how that works, it might work a little better. It's worth experimenting. I might just what till I see my OS on Friday. I think I would feel much better if he just took this wb restriction off. It will be 4.5 weeks when I see him. Even if he doesn't I'll at least get a bit of practice and see what works best.
Thanks for the mentioning the spelling correction of you name, sorry about that.
 
Lulu -- I think you are probably placing enormous pressure on your wrist by trying to put 75 percent of your weight on your unoperated side. I tried it with 50 percent and felt I was constantly in danger of forgetting restrictions, falling over and putting too much weight on the operated leg. In the end, I preferred the crutches as I could easily feel what 50 percent felt like. I also hated the walker. I guess it boils down to preference but while babying your leg, don't do anything risky or give yourself a whole new wrist problem!
 
Vida Yes I think I'll just be patient and wait for Friday to roll around and talk to my OS. Thanks for your feedback. I never used a cane in my life and it feels like it would just do more harm that good. I can see it might be helpful to have one once I'm up and around for a little additional support but other than that I can't see the value. I will try the crutch today. My first experience with a crutch was a pleasant one because the rubber stopper got caught on my wood floor. It was my first time up and I think I might be OK if I just concentrate on what I'm doing. After reading all these posts I think I really might be better off going slow and healing. I'll have enough time to start my 3 miles walks everyday once I'm through this stage.
I'll just be happy to get out for my first walk up the street. What did you do once you first attempted to go out for lunch at a restaurant? I am in walking distance to many places, about .5 mi. I thought my first venture would be walk up town and have lunch somewhere but I don't think the chairs will be the correct height. I guess I could take a pillow in a backpack. What was your experience?
 
Yes, using crutches takes practice and concentration. Just make sure your weight is on your hands not your shoulders. If you use two crutches it will balance the weight, not put too much on one side. I think using one crutch or a cane is something you'll do at a later stage. I needed to carry a foam pad with me for six weeks because of the 90 degree restriction and for comfort. Please don't think about covering much ground on foot for now, its way too soon and you are too vulnerable. As you say, your OS will let you know what you can do. I know, it's frustrating. If you walk half a mile, remember you have to get back. I would start small and work up or get a ride one or both ways!
 
Vida Thank You for your support. I do feel like I'm being a bit to conservative but then again I'm following what my OS thinks is best for his patients. I'd rather be lagging behind than to be in pain. I still am doing my PT excercises 3-4 times a day. I did that before surgery and it did really get me in pretty good shape. Most people think PT excercises are so gentle that they probably don't even realize how much they build your muscles. I was really pretty toned up with just my excercises and my walking pre-surgery. So I'm throwing in a few extra reps and holding things in place for 20 sec instead of 10 to help tone. I think it's working. I do try to put the full 75% wb on my leg so I don't lose as much muscle tone. I'm eating lean protein and staying away from snacking, except for my one Skinny Cow every night. Have you tried Skinny Cows? They are a great portion size snack only 140 cals 4 grams of fiber and 4 of protein. I have a Skinny Cow weakness, I can't live without them.
 
Hi lulu,

Just checking in to see how you're doing. I've already had 2 outings, but overdid this weekend and am resting for a few days. I have no restrictions, but I had to put my leg up to control pain before surgery, and people usually accommodated. You get a little bonkers being so housebound. And I'm recovering from being stupid. I've felt like I had a leg length discrepancy since the surgery, and I was feeling so good that I was practicing walking unaided to see if I could correct my gait. What I did was make all my leg muscles angry. It's going to take more than 3 weeks for the muscles to adjust, methinks.

But we learn that if we're good, the better days will come back. That's one good thing about it being the 2nd time, is not worrying so much in the big picture.

And I like using a cane, but it's second nature. I was on one before the first surgery. I think it's easier than a crutch, but you need to be careful with the weight bearing restriction. Practice first in a safe place, like PT so you can perfect the technique. If I have a permanent leg length problem, I may get a fancy cane. I know there's shoe lifts, but sometimes the leg will want a rest. And I'd rather have LLD than the pain before surgery.

We'll be walking a few blocks soon, just not yet. :). Good luck with the OS
 
Yes, I love the skinny cow, goes back to old weight watchers days, up and down. But they aren't that good if you eat a whole box at once. I like a wedge on cucumber with a prinkle of paprika. For some reason I thought you were 25 percent weight bearing...can't use the painkiller brain as an excuse as I don't take anything now. 75 is not so bad. Bet he lifts it after X-raying you again.
 
HappyHippy Two outings? What did you do? I'd love to have just one outing but I guess that might happen pretty soon, like Friday when I go to the OS. I got a delivery of groceries from Safeway today, that does help a lot.
I'm getting very buggy lately and have been up and around the house a lot. I think I'll be fine once I'm let loose. At least I know what to do and what not to do. I could see how you would want to spend the entire day out doing something after being caged up for this long.
Vida I hope he lifts the restriction, then I'll be in the same place everyone else is.
A wedge of what on cucumber? Yeh Skinny Cows can be dangerous if you get in the habit of eating more than one. Of course I got a container of dark chocolate little peanut butter cups from Trader Joes and those are so good. I been eating just 2 a day, it's like heaven!
 
LuLu, I am just about where you ae now! I had my RTHR on January 16th. And I feel that no exercise should cause you real pain. Maybe a little more swelling and stiffness! Take it easy, go at your own pace, because we all heal differently! I went for a 20 min walk outside today and thought I was SUPERWOMAN! LOL.. :rotfl: I also do in home pt, everyday, and go to pt three times a week. They have added a pound weight to my leg and it felt like it weighed a ton. :groan:The thing to remember is "baby steps". I know that was hard for me to grasp at first, I wanted to be better RIGHT NOW! I guess we all need to learn a little patience, anyway.. I hope you are doing well, and would like to keep up with your progress! Good luck, and best wishes!
 
gymrat1991 So how did you feel after your 20 min walk? Did you have any wb restrictions? I'm seeing my OS tomorrow and see what he says. He told me to just do my PT exercises and walk around the house because of the wb restriction. Anyway I hope to be up and out of the house this weekend for a 20min walk and I'll let you know how I feel after that. I can imagine what a 1lb weight feels like. Thanks for mentioning that, I do have an ankle weight I can drag out of the closet when the time comes. My OS just doesn't believe in any additional PT for the first 4 to 6 weeks. Even doing more in house laps from my kitchen to the front door causes a bit more pain than I'm used to. I increased my laps from about 3 everytime I got up to about 5-6 about 4-5 times a day.
 
I had my post op appt today. Great news my OS removed all my wb restrictions and removed my hip percautions. He said I could forget about the 90 degrees rule, sit in regular chairs, get rid of my toilet risers and just remember to keep my knees apart and reach between my knees when tying my shoes or picking up things. He said the most important rule was not to point my toes inward or cross my legs over the center of my body (ever). I'm very happy. I walked around the house a little too much with my cane. I took a nap, after waking up I was pretty sore. He gave me more pain pills to get me through but said to try to start cutting back on them. He wanted me to start out walking with my walker without the wb restrictions and then begin walking with the cane and crutches. So tomorrow I'll probably do a little less walking with the cane. I was so happy to just park my walker today, I just couldn't resist. I'm going out for a walk tomorrow rain or shine with my crutches. I'm very happy, finally progress!!!.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Back
Top Bottom