THR Just had my hip replacement on Jan 14th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lulu that's great news being restriction free. I'm surprised though that you can't cross your legs. I cross my legs (mostly at the ankle) all the time. In fact one of the exercises I have puts my foot on top of the opposite knee to increase the range of motion. My OS had me doing that after my almost-6 week appointment. So how did your walkabout go? Did you go on that lunch out? I know Bumper's got to be thrilled to have his person up and about again!
 
Hi Lulu - how did your walkabout go? When I started walking more for exercise I started with both crutches but fully weight bearing. They were more for balance by then. I think I started at about 1/4 of a mile. I have an app for my phone that tells me distance walked, so that was helpful to get an idea of where I was starting and how I was progressing. I think my first couple jaunts were about .2 mile, then I upped it. My progression on assistive devices was 2 crutches, 1 crutch, cane, cane nearby in case I get tired, cane what cane? ;)
 
oh, another hint - my OS said if you switch assistive devices - e.g. from one crutch to cane, cane to nothing - don't increase distance at the same time. In fact, you might want to drop back in distance a bit. Let things level out, so to speak, and then increase. It worked well for me. Plus I would ice right away when I got back to the house. Oh, and if you can get to a pool, walking in the pool is great, and easier on the other joints - like my bad knee. The Federal Way pool (near my office) has one of those innertube channel ride things, and you can walk in the channel which is great - you can walk against the current and then if you need a break, walk with the current. I haven't tried it since surgery, but did do it before surgery when nieces and nephews visited. It was a pretty good workout!
 
dede62 I'm surprised you can cross your legs. Maybe it's your type of procedure of joint. I don't know. I thought it was normal to have this restriction. I know a co worker of mine dislocated her hip crossing her legs at a sales meeting but she also had a revision scheduled (so known problems). It sounded very painful.
Well I guess I'll learn more as I go on. See my OS does not believe in PT, early on. I do have a friend that told her PT that one of her goals was to sit on the floor to do excercises and they showed her how to do that.
I really need to follow up with some PT after a few more weeks, to learn all the in's and out's of this post op situation. My friend gave me a DVD, Sit and be Fit Balance and Fall prevention workout. I think I will take a look at that today and start doing some excercises to improve my balance.
I did go out last night but with all the up and down the stairs yesterday and I only took my cane with me last night. I think I overdid it. I am resting today with ice.
I think I need to walk around the house a bit more with my full weight bearing with my walker and get my walking under control. I felt a little off balance last night after I got up from this very uncomfortable chair. I guess after sitting there for about an hour both my hips started hurting and I was a little stiff when I got up. I think I need someone to be with me for my first walk outside, maybe this afternoon or tomorrow.
Yes it is so nice to get up and around a little more.
My sister is still coming over every night to help me get Bumper out of her cage. Bumper still freaks out when I have a cane or crutch in my hand. So until I am stable enough, which I expect to be very soon, to walk over to her cage without an aid I think I need a little extra help with her.
Thanks for the news on your leg crossing, I really need to look into that. I don't want to live with any limitations but when someone tells you you will have that type of restriction the rest of your life, it is concerning. That's why I kept my own parts for so long.
 
Looking back, it's not surprising you are stiff after sitting or when you get up. If you read about, it's very common early on. Now I don't even think about it. You'll get there. I think I read earlier in your thread that it doesn't take big moves to get the benefits from the simpler exercises. My exercises were pretty basic and the biggest issue I had was shifting weight from the operated leg back to the other. One of the exercises was like marching slowly in place. I would do it first with the walker, then holding on to the kitchen counter, then withou. It's all a progression that gets better over time. Good that you still rest when you can!
 
nerdgrrl I guess I overestimated my independence. I'll start out with 2 crutches the next time I go out. It was really stupid to think I could go from a walker to a cane. I'll probably use a cane around the house but then again I need to practice with the crutches. I never walked with crutches before and i think I'm a little afraid of tripping. I just need some practice. Thanks for all the tips I really appreciate your feedback, it helps me realize where I need to start.
My OS told me to practice around the house full weight bearing with my walker, I guess I didn't listen too well.
 
I actually made it out for my walk today. I went on 2 crutches about 2 long blocks, which took me about 15 mins total. Crutches don't give you a very secure feeling the first time out. I had to watch the dips in the pavement where driveways begin. I just took it slow and watched every step. I thought that was enough adventure for today. I washed some dishes and cleaned up the kitchen. I was up for about an hour walking and working, it feels so good to do something for myself.

I tried to do some exercises last night and realized how weak my leg is. I was trying to balance on my operated leg and I have no strength at all. My physiatrist checked my balance before surgery and it was really poor (maybe due to my hip dysplasia and severe arthritis?) so I went to PT and thought I had pretty good strength in that leg. I guess I'm back to square one and need to start all over to improve my leg strength. I walked about 3 miles a day for around 6 years and before my surgery. I would think I would have some strength. What have most people experienced with post op leg strength? How long does it take to get some strength back?
 
Hi Lulu,

It can take a while to get the strength back in the operated leg. I could just about balance on the operated leg by about week 5 or 6 but with a big lean. It took a long time for me to get the strength back and I needed my stick to be able to walk without a limp until about week 15. And I thought I was pretty strong going into the operation - gym classes twice a week plus yoga, pilates and cycling. Don't worry about it though - it does come back and I'm back to squats and balancing on one leg now at almost 5 months (which sounds like a long time but has actually passed by in a flash!)

Jane
 
Hi luluohio, I had my THR a week after you on jan. 21, and my leg is still not strong enough to support me, however, I have been only using a cane. I never had the crutch option, so I went from walker to cane. You probably will be stronger at your 4 week post op. I was still mostly using the walker last week and have not used it at all since Monday. Each day gets a little better! I'm impressed as to how far you are walking! I do not know how far I can walk. I think I'll look for that phone app that was mentioned!

I know it seems so discouraging... But we will get there.....Pain Free!
 
Mbone Why didn't you have the crutch option? I'm finding the crutch offers me more support. My leg almost feels like I'm straining the muscles on the outside of my leg when I use the cane. So I don't think I'll be using the cane much until I am completely comfortable with the crutches. I did try to go straight to the cane and found I it set me back a few days but that was my first attempt and first trip out for dinner.
Of course I'll use the cane around the house, it seems to give me more freedom. I'm playing with both the crutch and the cane and trying to get use to both of them. I still use my walker when I'm tired and at night. I also use it around the house to practice walking correctly. I was lucky enough to have a friend loan me her walker and cane. The hospital sent me home with the crutches. But I guess you can rent all this stuff pretty reasonable from home health supplies stores and most of them deliver.

JaneyGS, Well that's interesting. I really had the misconception with all the exercise pre surgery, it would really help with my recovery. I wonder why it doesn't seem to. I would hate to think what shape I would be in if I didn't try preparing. Well atleast it's good to know you are getting back to normal at 5 months. I did have a 75%wb restriction but I was trying to make sure i did use the full 75% for the first month, in hopes that I wouldn't lose all my strength. I was just hoping I would be very close to normal when I return to work in a month or so. By now I should accept the fact this healing process does take time. Thank You for your feedback! It is very helpful.
 
Lulu, I have edited your post so that Mbone and JaneyGS were actually tagged. You should always check your post after clicking "Post Reply" to be sure the names have turned blue and the @ is gone. Do not leave a space between @ and the user name. Also occasionally when the tag is the first thing on the line, you will have to indent a space or two to get it to work. You can edit your own post by clicking the "Edit" in blue just below your signature.
 
Hi lulu,

I'm a week after you, as you know, but didn't have the fracture or a new acetabulum. My PT said it was time to drop the cane except for walks, and I took my first walk of 2 blocks yesterday with a cane and I was wiped out. It's been a strain to go cane free, but he measured my legs and said they're equal length, but the muscles need to adjust from the offset and other corrections made to the femur.

I think you're about where the rest of us are, given more extensive surgery. I think we'll see a lot of improvement in the next few weeks, if we remember not to overdo it.

Hang in there!

Hh
 
Bottomshollo, How do you make the names turn blue? Mine never do.

Lulu, I do not know why...but I was never told about crutches. Could it be because I was always 100% wb?
 
bottomshollow
Thank You for correcting that problem. I should know that by now.
Mbone
Do you have regular PT? Maybe your doctor likes his patients to go from a walker to a cane? I started out on crutches when I was at the hospital. Maybe it was because I had wb restrictions, it is hard to use a cane with wb restrictions. I use my cane too but I think I feel more stable using crutches to go out for a walk. I wouldn't trust myself and I would be afraid I would get too tired with just a cane alone. The crutches offer more support. I mentioned that the first time I went out for dinner I used a cane alone and I regreted it once I got up from my chair. I felt very unsteady, I should have brought my crutches or the walker but hey, I thought I could handle it.
It was raining a bit outside today and I don't have a sidewalk in front of my house. I decided to skip the walking out side but I walked back and forth to my door and back for about 20 minutes. I feel pretty good, I guess every little bit helps.
To make the name turn blue you put an @ sign and the name of the person you are replying to, make sure you spell the persons name correctly and you don't leave any spaces between the @ sign and the name. Once you hit reply the name should turn blue.
HappyHippy
Yes, I'm trying not to overdo it but I don't want to underdo it either. I do think every day gets better, slowly but surely.
 
luluohio I had home PT for 4 weeks and now I am going outpatient. I am pretty good with the cane now. I only use the walker when I am tired. True, maybe my OS does not like crutches. I used to use a 4 prong cane, but now I'm sing a regular one! I want to try going to a store with my cane to see hoe well I do!

I am sore today from my PT. it's a little more aggressive than the home PT.

Does anyone have little knots inside by their incision? My home physical therapist massaged the area but this new one doesn't. She suggested I gently massage it, but it feels weird, I'll have to do it though so that I can loosen things up in there.
 
Mbone 1
It sounds like you had a very compasionate physical therapist to massage the area! She deserves a humanitarian award of some kind.
I'm going to write a letter of recommendation for the occupational therapist she did an outstanding job. If it wasn't for her would have probably hurt myself with my shower set up.
Did you have staples? I guess everyone heals differently. I think massaging and ice probably would help. That is just my guess. I don't have knots but I'm sure others do.
Have you taken look at the thread with all the incisions on the first page of this blog?(it's called something like the hippies medal of honers). It might give you an idea of what others incisions look like. I saw many with some knots. As time goes on I think it will get much better and flatten out. A few months might make a big difference. I wouldn't worry about it, it's healing just like everything else is. I would rather have knots than problems.
I was able to balance on my leg a few seconds tonight, it's better than last night. I was surprised. If that continues I might be walking a half mile by next week. Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell. I'm not in a huge rush. I didn't get quite as sore as I expected walking my house laps for 20 mins today. I think walking outside is a bit more difficult because of the uneven surfaces. I guess either way it's probably a good workout. Keep in touch.
 
luluohio my incision was glued and is completely healed. It just feels lumpy inside. I will check out those posts... Good idea ! I loved my home therapist and will requester her again when I get my next joint done! I cannot balance or stand alone on my leg. I know it's getting stronger. My problem is also needing two knees replaced! And my ankle on the replaced hip,leg is bad also! I think the ankle is holding me back. Can you lie down on your new hip? I notice some people o, but my OS said not to! I wonder if it will hurt! I'm pretty tired of sleeping on my back or good side. Will we always need the pillow between our legs?
 
Mbone, I've had lots of little balls of scar tissue. We all grow different amounts of scar tissue and adhesions, and I'm not sure why. Last surgery my PT gave me a roller to go across the incision and break down the tissue. You may want to ask your PT about one.

And after your precautions are over, you should be able to sleep normally. I can now, but my surgeon does a special closure I guess that posteriors don't need precautions. But 90 days or less, everything should be healed enough, I'd think. The overall rate of dislocation is low, but you should still follow you Dr's advice.

And it sounds like a rough road with the number of joint replacements ahead. I'm sorry to hear that, as I hope it's a long time until I have another!

Good luck to you!
 
Mbone
At my last appt my OS said I could lie on either side, without a pillow between my legs. I asked him, if I can't cross my legs how can I be sure I don't cross them when I'm lying down. He told me it would be OK if my legs cross as long as I'm lying down . It really sounds like each OS have their own set of rules. I'm not sure if it's patient related or procedure related. I follow what my OS tells me and it might not be right for everyone. I still keep a pillow between my legs while I'm awake. I'm just am afraid I will forget and cross my legs, even though many people are told they can cross their legs. It might just be that the incidents of dislocation is associated with crossing legs, I'm not sure. I read lots of post that people cross their legs and some don't......I can't figure it out. I am going to investigate this more, until I hear different I'm not taking any chances. I just need some formal outside PT and get their opinions too.
It's sad to hear you need all those other surgeries. It must be tuff recovering from one major surgery and know you are still facing more. It sounds like this is the site for getting your physical and emotional support. There are so many people that have had so many surgeries.
Yesterday, my sister just found out she is all out of alignment, scoliosis and a lot of other problems. She just started a job that required more physical work. Her knee has been bothering her. I told her to get checked out, well she did, she has so many problems that she didn't realize she had. So this is just a beginning for her. She might just need PT but it's too early to tell.
I found my hip problem originally because a local chiropractor said I had lost some range of motion in my hip. He told me I should look into it further. I did and that's when I found out I had severe arthritis and hip dysplasia, at that time I wasn't even having hip pain. Soon after the pain started and continued to get worse. Then I went on for a OS consult and he just handed me a broucher on hip replacements and said "This is what you need". I was in shock! There are so many underlying things that we are unaware of and they all throw other things out of place and damage other joints.
Too bad we don't have a malfunction light that comes on before more damage is done.
 
luluohio I agree about that malfunction light. I was going to an arthritis doc. for my knees. I had injections and was told to go for PT. I did, after a few visits, I started to get this pain in the groin. I never even suspected that it was my hip. I didn't know the hip took in so many parts...I just thought the hip was the outside part of the leg!!! Well, I told the Doc. and she took xrays. I tried shots in the hip, but nothing worked. It eventually got worse and worse until I could not even touch the outer part of my hip without having a tinge of pain. September really did me in and it was inevitable that I would need the hip done before the knees. So that is what I did. Now if only my other joints did not hurt! When the surgeon xrayed me he told me that my right hip was bad also. That he has replaced hips that look like that too. Well, my right one does not hurt....YET!!!! So that will need to be done eventually also.

I have been using the pillow between my legs when sleeping. I have the no cross the legs or ankles restriction also. I think maybe the restrictions depend on the type of procedure the surgeon did. Until I read this site, I never knew that there were different procedures! You learn so much here!!

I went to Target by myself for a bit. It was awkward because I used the cart. If I pushed the cart, I limped....if I leaned on the cart....I got stiff shoulders!!! I tried using the cane and pushing the cart...but that was awkward too. I guess I have to just keep trying and not give up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom