Ask the Expert Webinar
Lounge Doctor

THR Just had my hip replacement on Jan 14th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
L

luluohio

Country
United States United States
Hi Dede, Well my OS said there was a questionable crack in my femur but he couldn't tell for sure so he just said to do the 75% wb for 4 to 6 weeks. I was wondering if he just was trying to slow me down but after hearing so many people really pushing themselves I guess it's just a precaution. I can't wait to go in for my first follow-up ( I hope he takes me off of this precaution) it would make life more tolerable. He does not want any of his patients doing PT for the first month. He suggests just walking around the house and doing the physical therapy execises they went over in the hospital and that's OK with me. I was in pretty good shape and doing PT exercises for about a year before the THR. Today was the first day I felt pretty much pain free. I had my surgery at Swedish in Seattle. I find this site a very good way to spend my time considering I am just watching TV, reading and shopping on the internet, which could be dangerous, so I would rather find out a little more about what others are experiencing. Thanks for responding, ever little bit of support helps.

Hi Sharon, Do the doctors usually cut you off of your pain meds at a certain time after surgery? I'm worried about not having any more when I need them when I increase activity at 6 weeks and beyond. I guess this probably varies doctor to doctor and patient to patient. Thanks for responding this is very helpful.

OP
OP
L

luluohio

Country
Hi Vida, Your right. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do that next time. I'm expecting some visitors from work on the weekend. Very good idea.

Vida

graduate
Country
Canada Canada
You are welcome. By the way, if you want to tag someone, or alert them to a post, press the @ sign before their user name. then we'll pop back in on you. Re pain meds, every doc is different. My surgeon was wonderful - I was 50 percent for 6 weeks and had way more pain than I expected when I started physio for a bunch of reasons. I simply called his office and asked for something I knew had worked before. But my GP is one of those who worry about addiction and is very parsimonious with prescriptions. When you have no pain, who wants to take drugs that cause constipation etc? We need them until we don't, then we take OTC meds until we don't need them any more. Sadly those who use them for fun make very tough for those of us who need pain control. You could also try the bonesmart tylenol/ibuprofen cocktail, which you will find on this site. The ibuprofen upset me but taken properly as directed, the combination Josephine recommends is a great option if you get stuck.

Take care.. if the visitors don't leave, tell them the prunes you ate 3 days ago are suddenly working, That'll get rid of them!

Texas Girl

I was concerned that I was not doing as much as others at first too. I was still using my walker while others were on the cane already. Don't worry about that at all. We all end up with the same result, walking!!! I am 6 weeks post op and just now experiencing the energy drain, which is really strange for me because I am generally pretty active. Without this site, I would have been lost!! The encouragement and the knowledge everyone shares has just been a life saver. Just keep sharing and reading the articles here, and you will do just great!!!

nerdgrrl

graduate
Country
Hi lulu - welcome fellow Seattleite! I will just add to the chorus that it seems like you are right on track. Sissy is right, milk it! I somehow managed to get breakfast in bed for the first two weeks :cheers2: It was especially nice since I was having to get up so often during the night. My surgeon doesn't even want formal PT until about 12 weeks, just walking or swimming at first, then added stationary bike. As Josephine says, hips have a way of working themselves out. Also, my doc didn't limit my pain meds. I was down to just taking the oxycodone at night by about 3 weeks, but I was taking ibuprofen/Tylenol during the day, and I still take ibuprofen on occasion now. I mostly have swelling issues rather than pain, when I have issues. Oh, and ice, ice,ice! Ice was my best friend early on and still is.

Good luck with your recovery!

OP
OP
L

luluohio

Country
Vida, I like your prune idea.

Texas Girl, I'm pretty happy that my doctor is taking the slower approach, it sounds like so many get theirselves in trouble overdoing it.

Nerdgrrl, I hope my doctor is open to giving me meds when I need them, it seems to only make sense when you undergo such a intense surgery. Though it sounds like you have had your share of surgeries and then some. I've been using ice even when I don't hurt. I've been lucky enough to not have any swelling but my toes feel a bit tight tonight. I guess I better not jinx myself. So how did you get breakfast in bed for two weeks, were you in the hospital for a longer time. I was out in 4 days. My other hip is now beginning to hurt, I think I have been standing on it too much while standing still to avoid putting too much weight on my bad leg.
Thanks all of you

sharonslp

big-cheese
Country
Lulu, here in the US, doctors are all over the place when it comes to helping patients deal with pain. As far as the opiates go, they want you off them fairly quickly. For some, fairly quickly means 4 to 6 weeks. For others, they won't raise an eyebrow for the first three months...which is far more reasonable. I found it helpful for myself to keep a daily journal where I recorded medicine taken and pain levels throughout the day. We think we remember accurately, but we really don't. This was helpful when I asked my doc for an additional month of Vicodin....I could explain clearly that I had cut back on such and such a date, and was down to just one tablet at night. But even if he cuts you off the heavy stuff too soon, there are other drugs that are effective for pain. Many of us used tramadol with good results...although others can't tolerate it. After the first month or two, it's pretty common to be managing well with just tylenol, or a tylenol/ibuprofen combo. So don't panic....By March, you will be feeling quite a bit better and stronger than you do now, and you'll work out the pain management issue as you need to.

And why are you standing still for so long that you have to put weight on your other leg? At two weeks out, that sounds like too much standing, especially if you can't do full weight-bearing. Make friends with your couch. If your exercises are calling for a lot of standing still, break them up more throughout the day so you don't overstress the standing. Right now your main task is to rest and let the healing happen. Take lots of naps. :)

Sharon

Nannyannie

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi Lulu, you are doing fine!
It's not just the USA where doctors can be funny about opiate pain killers - luckily mine is sympathetic, knows I can't take ibuprofen so prescibes Tramadol and also gave me Oramorph (yes, oral morphine solution!) to use when the pain was bad before my op. Sshh, I still have an unopened bottle in the cabinet, shame you are not nearer!
The tiredness thing - it's the way it hits suddenly that surprised me. One minute OK, next hardly able to stand up or string words into a sentence. The first time my husband took me supermarket shopping post-op he insisted on using the store's wheelchair, grrr, halfway round suddenly looked at me and said "we're going for a coffee". After a bit of a break (coffee and cake) we did the rest quickly (fridge was empty), no browsing, he brought me home and I slept for several hours!
The standing thing, for kitchen and bathroom I have a "perching stool", height adjustable and a sloping seat so that my butt is on the stool and my weight is shared with my legs. It's very helpful with washing/teeth etc. and a few kitchen chores.
How about asking your visitors to do some of the chores for you? You soon find which ones are true friends and really want to be useful! The one who took our ironing away and delivered it next morning done was an angel - it is not one of my husband's skills!
Just remember - the tortoise won the race!
Big hugs
Anne

Queenie

Country
Hi Lulu

I have totally soaked up all the fabulous advice you've been given on this thread. I had a RTHR 27 days ago and have also been concerned with my progress. I was given the same advice from my hospital physio as you, a few basic exercises, 10 reps, 3x a day with some walking thrown in for good measure. I have now stopped worrying because although its great to read about everyone's stories you can't help but compare your progress with other people's.........Big mistake. I think you are coping amazingly well. I had my left hip replaced 3yrs ago and completely forgot, not only about the physical pain but the emotional roller coaster one has to endure in recovery. My advice would be to stick to the exercise regime you've been given, and don't worry about what everyone else is doing. There are plenty of people on here in the same boat as you......you are not alone.
I agree with Vida that it might be an idea to pre warn your visitors that although you're very happy to receive a visit, you tire easily and can't guarantee that you'll have to kick them out after half an hour. I've been completely honest with my family and friends. I've explained what has happened to me and my poor body(inc all the gory details!!), they now have a better idea of my position and are all very sympathetic. I'm not milking it but there is absolutely no point in being a martyr.

Keep your chin up. You are doing so much better than you give yourself credit for.

Sending lots of healing love from across the pond.

Queenie xxx

nerdgrrl

graduate
Country
Hi lulu - I was only in the hospital two nights. I managed to get the breakfast in bed because my SO stayed home and likes making breakfast. Once it was made, it was not a big deal to bring it in to the bedroom. It was nice to have one less trip around the house at first, especially since I'm not a morning person. I also didn't mind a bit of pampering. :)

Country
don't compare.jpg
Lulu, we each progress at our own rate. We are each unique and our bodies are totally different.
Some lucky devils are fast healers rabbit.jpg and everything seems to just go swimmingly for them with no hitches, but they are definitely in the minority. Some have a lot of difficulties for one reason or another and proceed very, very slowly turtle.jpg ; they too are a minority.

Most of us fall somewhere in the middle
middle of the road.jpg
, but still progress at slightly different rates. We have ups and downs but move steadily forward. Some of us middle of the roaders get carried away with PT and other activities and set ourselves back in recovery for a while. So be happy with where you are and keep working slowly and steadily to improve each day. YOU WILL GET TO THE END OF THE JOURNEY!!!

OP
OP
L

luluohio

Country
Hi Nannyannie/Sharron, Boy that energy drain sounds like a bad case of jet lag. I wonder why that happens, maybe because you are couped up so long. I can't imagine even going out of the house right now but I'm glad to know it may hit me when I do get out and about.
I thought about the chair idea I just haven't had anyone bring the chair down that I was thinking of using. I had a shower chair all set up in my master bath but found my glass door was too wide and had to pivot too much to get in the chair. So I do have an extra chair that I should bring down here and get some use out of it.
My doctor did write a perscription today for some long acting pain meds that I just ran out of, he only gave me a few but hopefully it will get me over that hump.

Hi Queenie, Right now I'm just happy my legs are moving. I think I'm doing OK but it has ran through my mind how my leg is going to feel when I first put all my weight on it the first time and not have the walker to depend on. I'm only 75% wb but at times it's hard to judge. I guess a lot of others have went a long time not allowed to bear any weight at all and have done fine. It seems like it will take a while to get my coordination back. On top of that I am wondering how different it will feel with my new hip. The OS said my bad leg was a little longer than the good leg before the surgery. He said he would try to not add any extra length to it. It feels like he did a good job and actually it does feel like I'm a little better balanced. I'm anxious to try iit out.

Nerdgrrl, Your lucky to have a SO, I have my sister and she is helping me too. She has been cutting up fruit and making oatmeal for me and making sure it is in easy reach for breakfast and lunch. She comes over and helps me with showers and makes dinner for me. Thankgoodness for her, at first they were telling me I would probably need to go to a nursing home/rehab center if I didn't have anyone to help me for the first week. Well I don't know how people can go home even after a week and be OK by themselves. I'm usually alone during the day but I don't think I could make it by myself for a week. I guess they do have home health aids but it could run up a large bill, I don't think insurance covers it all or any.
Bottomshollow, Thanks again for the encouragement. I think I'm coming along OK, I felt really good yesterday and I think I overdid my little amount of exercise and was a bit stiff today. I can only imagine what comes next..........

Queenie

Country
Hi Lulu
I 'm so pleased to hear that you have your sister helping you out. For a moment I was concerned that you were totally on your own. Goodness knows how people manage in the first few weeks on their own. I guess you have no choice but to get on with it. Although I've been exceedingly lucky(my husband has been able to work from home for a month on cripple leave!!), I would have worried and fretted over a lot more things had it not been for Bonesmart.
I have been fully weight bearing since day 1. I'm now exactly 4wks down the line and still couldn't say 100% if there is any LLD. What I'm saying is try not to worry too much about that(easier said than done I know). Try to concentrate more on looking after yourself. Don't overdo things.....Reading some stories on here, it just ain't worth it! Try and stay as positive as you can because positivity is a great healer.
And don't forget you always have BS. Don't worry if you have down days.....I still do. There'll be plenty of folks on here who you can sound off to. Folks who will be more than happy to listen. I think it's important that you know that. Sometimes playing brave and being the martyr isn't so good for the soul. Better out than in I say! A problem shared and all that. Hopefully you won't have too many days like that, but if you do, you know where to turn.

Onwards and upwards....

Lotsa Love

Queenie xxxx

OP
OP
L

luluohio

Country
Hi Queenie, Yes I have a sister to help me but you know how family members can be. If I ask her to do too much I might not get any help at all. I had to hire a lady to drive to Seattle 20mins from my house to pick up as perscription for me because I knew I would be asking too much if I asked my sister. I have to keep things in perspective and need to pick and chose what I asked her to do. I really need her help around here instead of wearing out her patience running around doing things others can do for me. I have a Umbrella Cockatoo and not to many friends want to try to bring her over to me so we can visit in the evenings. Her beak is too big and scary.
I had a big drain on energy this morning, I think I really haven't been getting as much sleep as I need. I have a tendency to stay up late (I'm hating to go to sleep at night for some reason) and play with my computer. I slept in till 10AM today. I wasn't feeling well and my sister forgot to set up the coffee maker, so that took me about 5x longer than it would have before surgery and I had to warm up the oatmeal in the microwave, and uncover my bird and brush my teeth. I was so exhaused and I actually got light headed. I got back to my couch and crashed for about 45mins. Then I was OK again. I guess I should have settled for tea. I'm feeling better now, so I'm taking it easy for the rest of the day. Thanks for writing, it's so niice to hear from you.

OP
OP
L

luluohio

Country
Hi Nerdgrrl, I still don't understand how to ping you when I write a message to you but if you happen to pick up this message.( you mentioned the @ sign but I don't know where to find the @ sign) blogs are new to me. I bought a elliptical about a year ago it was one of my favorite modes of excercise. I thought it would do more harm than good but according to the post you made to Dave it sounds like I'll be able to use it. I'm so happy to hear that. I guess I'm just not thinking that far out yet. Really walking was my main excercise. I'm not that athletic but have always liked hiking and walking and tried to stay active. When I get to the point I can start working out on my elliptical how often and how long did you start with?

Country
luluohio, the @ is on the same key with the number 2 at the top of the keyboard. Place it in front of the member's user name, no space in between. Be sure you spell the user name correctly. After you finish your post and click the "Post Reply" button, look at your post. The user name should have become blue and be underlined if your "tag" worked.

beesquare

Country
Hi lulu
So sorry to hear you're having a spell of the blues , you're not alone my dear I had a mega weep yesterday, came from nowhere and I just sobbed and sobbed. I do admire you for coping so well without someone around all the time you help you out, that must be tough to say the least. Do tell us more about your Umbrella Amazon- how old is she, what made you decide to get her?
Today the sun is shining and had I not been a total idiot and overdone things earlier this week and now have TWO really sore hips I would be out for a walk to enjoy it. Hope the weather is picking up with you, at least we have Spring to look forward to and hopefully a decent Sumer although that can't be relied on in UK!!
Take care :yay:
Anne

Queenie

Country
Hi lulu

An Umbrella Cockatoo eh?.....How exotic!!.....What's her name?

Tiredness is a killer!.......Sleep depravation is a form of torture in some countries you know! I would like to suggest that unless you are expecting a visit from someone then sleep when your body tells you to sleep. Major ops play havoc with your body and your body clock. If you are happier staying up in the night on your computer then do so. Try and have a few day times naps to catch up on your sleep. If the idea of sleeping at night is stressing you out then don't do it. Feeling anxious is not going to aid the healing process.
On the other hand if you get those days when you feel you'd like to sleep at night why not try one of the following before bed time. They are all known for their sleep inducing qualities:-
Bananas
Chamomile tea
Warm milk
Honey
Potatoes
Oatmeal
Almonds
Whole wheat bread
Turkey
A nice turkey sarnie on whole wheat bread with a warm milky drink will set you up nicely for a good nights sleep. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz : )

Hope this helps.

Lotsa lurve

Queenie xxxxx

OP
OP
L

luluohio

Country
beesquare
Queenie xxxxx
My umbrella is 30 years old, they have a life expectancy of 80 years. I bought him for my boyfriend that died of a MI 4 days after having a liposuction (cosmetic surgery). It was a very difficult time in my life. I made some changes in my life at that time and got a job that came with some traveling.
I did make it to England for about 5 weeks back in the 90's (around the Plymouth area but I made it up to London and Leeds, I spent a weekend in York, it was a beautiful experience).

As for Bumper, I got him/her when she was 6 weeks old and hand fed her with a dropper, from a breeder. I thought he was a boy until he laid an egg when he was 15 years old. So the only thing she says is "pretty little boy" Then recently she prolapsed her choclea (this happens commonly with mature females that lay eggs and are hand feed) So she just had surgery a few months ago and had her ova duct removed and everything put back in place and tightened up, I guess equal to a hysterectomy for us. She is doing well but doesn't like alot the other equipment in my livingroom. She can't figure out why I'm not getting off my lazy butt to get her out of the cage and she gives my sister a hard time when she tries to bring her over to me. She is very laid back and once I put a cover over her cage she is quiet the rest of the night , she knows when it is time for bed. She's my baby and will always be. I'm so thankful she is a good bird some just scream all the time. She does her share of screaming but it's only for about 5 mins a couple times a week just to excercise her vocal cords.
Queenie, Thanks for the suggestion, I did a repeat of the day before, I stayed up till 2:30AM and got up at 10AM. I guess I'm still getting 7 hours sleep. It's going to be hell to straighten out my time schedule when I go back to work.

nerdgrrl

graduate
Country
hi lulu - I started out with walking, too. I started on the elliptical when I felt I was ready to go back to the gym and do cardio. I started out for 20 minutes (since I had been walking for 1/2 hour or more at a time), and a "lower than where I left off" setting, and have just been working my way back up. It is a lot easier on my bad knee than walking so it works out well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Little Bits
Recent bookmarks