luluohio
member
Hi Dede, Well my OS said there was a questionable crack in my femur but he couldn't tell for sure so he just said to do the 75% wb for 4 to 6 weeks. I was wondering if he just was trying to slow me down but after hearing so many people really pushing themselves I guess it's just a precaution. I can't wait to go in for my first follow-up ( I hope he takes me off of this precaution) it would make life more tolerable. He does not want any of his patients doing PT for the first month. He suggests just walking around the house and doing the physical therapy execises they went over in the hospital and that's OK with me. I was in pretty good shape and doing PT exercises for about a year before the THR. Today was the first day I felt pretty much pain free. I had my surgery at Swedish in Seattle. I find this site a very good way to spend my time considering I am just watching TV, reading and shopping on the internet, which could be dangerous, so I would rather find out a little more about what others are experiencing. Thanks for responding, ever little bit of support helps.
Hi Sharon, Do the doctors usually cut you off of your pain meds at a certain time after surgery? I'm worried about not having any more when I need them when I increase activity at 6 weeks and beyond. I guess this probably varies doctor to doctor and patient to patient. Thanks for responding this is very helpful.
Hi Sharon, Do the doctors usually cut you off of your pain meds at a certain time after surgery? I'm worried about not having any more when I need them when I increase activity at 6 weeks and beyond. I guess this probably varies doctor to doctor and patient to patient. Thanks for responding this is very helpful.
United States
It was especially nice since I was having to get up so often during the night. My surgeon doesn't even want formal PT until about 12 weeks, just walking or swimming at first, then added stationary bike. As Josephine says, hips have a way of working themselves out. Also, my doc didn't limit my pain meds. I was down to just taking the oxycodone at night by about 3 weeks, but I was taking ibuprofen/Tylenol during the day, and I still take ibuprofen on occasion now. I mostly have swelling issues rather than pain, when I have issues. Oh, and ice, ice,ice! Ice was my best friend early on and still is. ![[Bonesmart.org] Just had my hip replacement on Jan 14th. [Bonesmart.org] Just had my hip replacement on Jan 14th.](https://data.bonesmart.org/attachments/6/6768-34d2bc68c802fee820796b4208bd5b8d.jpg?hash=NNK8aMgC_u)
![[Bonesmart.org] Just had my hip replacement on Jan 14th. [Bonesmart.org] Just had my hip replacement on Jan 14th.](https://data.bonesmart.org/attachments/6/6769-a47df65f492c52c80d8dd242d086a236.jpg?hash=pH32X0ksUs)