Guest viewing is limited

June Sunbeams 2013 - Are you having knee surgery in June?

Status
Not open for further replies.
barb 6/14/13 Private messages are fine when you have information that really shouldn't be on a public forum, but we really encourage all correspondence to be here on BoneSmart. Your questions and comments as well as people's responses can have a HUGE benefit for our members and guests that just read and don't really post all that much. So I encourage you to start a pre-op thread of your own and introduce yourself. You'll find a lot of friendship and support here among your fellow BoneSmarties.
 
Barb- I am also having bi lateral knee replacement on June 4th. I am 57. Please share your story about how you came to your decision and I will share mine. I started having issues with my knees when I was about 35. Over the years it just got worse and worse. I used aspirin up to 12 a day for many years. Then suddenly I had to stop aspirin- due to ulcers..... OMG I became a cripple without the aspirin. I did not know how bad my joints were until that time. I have to use crutches as both knees are bowed and hurt so much. My pain is awful everyday. I went from full time at my job to three days a week. I only use tylenol now and it does not cut the mustard! I do not want to take drugs.... The doctor said I was a candidate for both knees done at the same time. I do not think I have a choice other than to try having the surgery as if I do not I will be in a wheel chair soon I am afraid.

I also have two bad hips... not a bad as my knees though my left hip hurts me quite a bit. I am hoping with getting my legs straight and walking better my hips will feel better( I hope so!).
 
Hello yall, I will be having BTKR June 3, 2013. Just came across this site today, seems very informative. Been dealing with osteoarthritis over 20 years and finally reached the point something had to be done. To me a lot of it is a state of mind. I just try and keep a positive attitude knowing its going to be rough at times having both knees done at same time but the results in the long run will be worth going thru this!!!
 
Welcome swamp,
I will be having LTKR same day as you. There are so many people on this forum
having BTKR, You will be in good company :) Any questions, just ask nothing is to minor. The
people here are awesome. We even have experts. So, settle in & know you are in good hands !!
Talk Soon,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
I am scheduled for a RTKR on June 27. Please add me to the June list!

Deb:SUNsmile:
 
My LTKR is June 12. Through this winter, the R knee (which was replaced last June) continued (and still continues) to heal, but the L was so bad that it woke me up at night and I ended up with a small ulcer from all the NSAIDs I was taking (I now know, Josephine, that they're not as effective as acetaminophen) and then took all the Tylenol I could w/o exceeding warnings. I couldn't stand still more than 5-10 min. w/o it locking up, and it frequently gave out.

But then I lost weight in order to bring my blood lipid numbers down. Hadn't considered the effect on my knees--bone on bone doesn't get better. Or does it? In the past two weeks, my L knee has been on its best behavior. I've been driving 6-7 hrs. a day this week and walking long hotel corridors, and I'm feeling it in my R hip (which my OS says is connective tissue, not OA, and doesn't need replacing) as well as L foot (where I'd had a stress fx in '09) and ankle. But NOT in my L knee! The only time it hurts now is when bending with all my weight on it, trying to get extension during PT and when the medial surface is palpated (yee-ouch)--but so does the R, because that's where the muscle was cut; and later in the day on the last few sets of stair-climbs into my house & up to the bedroom.

I saw BTKR-scheduled Katidyer's post and it clicked with me. I am so confused. I spent heaven-knows-how-much on that "fitting" MRI (the results specified "not diagnostic, for measurement only"). But suddenly my L knee feels much better, probably because of the 20-lb weight loss--better than it did a year ago, and certainly better than the R knee did the day before its replacement (when I also had second thoughts). My X-ray shows bone-on-bone medially and raggedy spurs laterally, but it doesn't feel like that. It's sort of like the tooth that stops hurting in the dentist's waiting room, or the car that stops making noises when you drive it into the mechanic's service bay. Is this psychological or should I ask my OS if I should postpone the LTKR???
 
gazelle7777 I have removed your posting of your email address. It's never a good idea to put your email out on a public forum. If you have things you need to discuss in private, BoneSmart does have private messaging available. But, actually, we hope you'll do your corresponding with other members here in the public forum so that all can benefit from the information you pass back and forth.
 
Would love to join the June sunbeams. I am scheduled for another revision TKR on June 5th. Had a second total replacement April 2012.
Continued pain and the bone scan showed loosening at tibia. My surgeon will be working on just the tibial component and inserting longer stem. Praying the 3rd time will be a charm! Would love to hear from those who have had similar situation. Trying to be positive, but not easy!
 
I have received all clearances and my surgery is definitely gonna happen June 4th! Now I am a bit anxious and am worrying about pain management. I may have the opportunity to go to rehab facility upon discharge...any thoughts on this? Thanks!
 
Harp I worry about pain management too! And this will be second time around for me. Poor pain control in hospital. So here is my plan....not putting up with it. If my pain is not relieved I am going to insist that my doctor is called no matter what time it is. The regional and femoral block is super but the fem block wears off and that's when the pain became a real problem for me. I was ready to go AWOL. So lets be assertive about the pain!
As far as rehab after hospital. If I was considering this, I would go there first and see what it's like. Some people seem to like it. Others can't wait to get out. It also depends on how much help you have at home. Someone needs to help with meals and ice and going to pick up prescriptions or prunes. If you decide on the rehab facility just make sure you go there and see the beds, the rooms and the foods, the smells etc. before you are a patient!
 
Brownie51. I had horrible pain control in the hospital too!! I had a general, no spinal, no femoral block, and I awoke from the surgery in agony. With my second knee, I told my husband that he was to raise the roof. Get the Patient Advocate if he had too, but not to just go with the flow and allow me to suffer. Even insist on another Dr in the hospital to override my surgeon if all else failed.
 
I am a bit anxious and am worrying about pain management
Titianlady
Brownie51

Others are certainly worried as well. Would you do me a favor and start a post on this topic on the pre-op board so we can have a good discussion. That would be fantastic! You could call it "Worried about pain management".
 
Through this winter, the R knee (which was replaced last June) continued (and still continues) to heal, but the L was so bad that it woke me up at night and I ended up with a small ulcer from all the NSAIDs I was taking
DD
I was wondering how you were doing! :SUNsmile:

Would you take your fantastic posts and update your thread.

LTKR postponed till Sept 2013
Your posts are so great for chronicling your journey and bringing to light issues that others might also have. They deserve to be seen by more in the pre-op section. On June Sunbeams it is only a very few.

The only teensy problem I have is reading long paragraphs and sometimes the gems of a thought are in the middle where my poor eyes lose focus. :rolleyes:
 
Brownie...I am such a newbie...how do I find and contribute to you thread re: pain management?
Thanks and a big hug for you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom