Guest viewing is limited

June Sunbeams 2013 - Are you having knee surgery in June?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have high-maintenance hair too. Normally, it dries sort of frizzy, with waves in all the wrong places--unless I blowdry it completely and then flatiron (using tons of anti-frizz products). Starting a couple of years ago, I've been getting a keratin treatment 2-3 times a year, usually after getting my roots touched up. It's supposed to last 3-4 months but because I don't shampoo every day (my hair's delicate and dry-ish) and I put my hair up at night and during exercise to avoid it getting sweaty (and outdoors to prevent tangles), I've been able to go 4-5 months between treatments. Last year I neglected to get it done before my TKR. Shampooed & flatironed that morning. Went into surgery with sleek clean hair; by the next day, I had sweated so much from stress that I looked like Medusa and had to put it up in a clip. Thank heaven for the beauty salon at rehab: I had my family bring in my flatiron and special sulfate-free shampoo and styling products that the salon lacked (it generally catered to elderly women with short hair).

So I'm going to try to get it done this week (roots & trim too). Downside is that you mustn't get your hair wet, put it in a clip or ponytail, or even put it behind your ears for the first 72 hours post-treatment. Because I sweat from my neck, I generally sleep on my back those first couple of days and have to flatiron any kinks or frizzies that pop up during that time period. (Outdoors, I wear a hooded jacket or sweatshirt). Once I can finally shampoo, I can do what I like--and I needn't worry about rain or sweat. I'm hoping that doing the keratin treatment 1-2 weeks pre-op will prevent that disaster (and let me put my hair in a scrunchy under that cap).
 
I am having BTKR on June 10th, God wiling, if all clearances go well. So far, so good. My white blood cell count is slightly high (12.4) but I am hoping to get some antibiotics to clear things up. Waiting for repeat blood test to come back Monday. I AM SCARED...AND NERVOUS, ANND MANY THINK I AM CRAZY FOR DOING BOTH at the same time. I just want it to be done without 2 rehabs, since both my knees are bad.

Looking forward to learning alot from this site!

Luisa
 
Was in the shower Sunday and all of the sudden my nerves about surgery set in? What the heck happened to all my confidence? Yikes! How does this happen so quick. I was looking at my toenails that I have left unpainted for the surgery and suddenly felt like a patient! I will paint my toenails and see if my confidence comes back?
 
Ooops sorry about above post Luisa. You are doing the right thing!!!!! I read all this stuff on here and if your doc is willing to do both, go for it. If anything goes a little awry he will not go for the two. Lynne's oxygen level came down a bit after her first one was done so they waited to do the second knee. You probably won't be happy you did both until a couple weeks out. But oh my gosh when you start to feel better at 2 months you are going to be so happy. The recovery length is NO longer with 2 than one. ONE recovery! Oh my how I wish I had been able to do both! You are a lucky woman!
 
Marianne, pick something outrageously bright and sparkly-- last year I did neon orange, this year peach sparkle. They didn't take the polish off in surgery--the prep nurse said as long as it's not black or blue, and they can see your fingernails (clear French mani for me), it's fine.

And it's funny--I'd been getting cold feet too, especially since I've lost weight and my left knee bothers me way less than when I scheduled surgery (back in January, June could not arrive fast enough). I asked for a sign that i was doing the right thing by going forward. So yesterday on my way up the deck stairs from the garage, I felt a twinge in my left knee--and it buckled just before I got to the door. IT'S TIME!
 
[Bonesmart.org] June Sunbeams 2013 - Are you having knee surgery in June?
Welcome June Sunbeams!!



If you're having surgery in the month of June, I hope you'll join our June Sunbeams for a bright start to your life with your new joint!

Your fellow Sunbeams will help you along the way with warm hugs and lots of support!


We have found that surgery and recovery is easier if you have a group of folks who are going through similar experiences.
 
[Bonesmart.org] June Sunbeams 2013 - Are you having knee surgery in June?
Welcome June Sunbeams!!



If you're having surgery in the month of June, I hope you'll join our June Sunbeams for a bright start to your life with your new joint!

Your fellow Sunbeams will help you along the way with warm hugs and lots of support!


We have found that surgery and recovery is easier if you have a group of folks who are going through similar experiences.
Hi, new here. I am having my surgery, bilattkr on June 13 and am scared to death.
 
Hello All, I am having bi-later knee replacement on June 13!! Can't wait to get my life back!!! Excited to have people share my experiences with that are dealing with the same issues!

Spotty65:dancy:
Hi Spotty, I'm also having btkr on the 13th. I'm also excited to get my life back and share experiences with others. Not so sure how to post or if I am doing it right. My emotions are running the gamut of sad, mad, angry and scared about rehab and coming home. My sister is only going to be here three weeks and I live with my 13 y/o gdaughter, whom I have custody of. Just sold my house because of the stairs, but found good rentals were hard to find and way over priced. However, I did luck into a very nice condo, but, it's on the second floor with 19 outside stairs!!! Should have stayed in my home. i am finding since I got my date, that my pain seems to be getting worse everyday. not sure if it's due to stress or overdoing. I'm also overweight and am worrying about that and rehab. Anyway, looking forward to this group and learning from all of you about your experiences!!
 
I'm so happy to have found this forum. I'm having bilateral knee replacement surgery on June 24 and am a nervous wreck. Right now, I'm getting all the medical requirements completed. The support found on this website has been such a comfort. It's wonderful to know that there is a community helping each member get through this experience. :)
 
Welcome gilhockey and gidem. Isn't this a great place to be? Have you thought about what you call your own thread? A nice catchy name is good. Picture yourself doing really well in a month from now. What would a good name be? Survivor of the least Fit? Dancing with (the) titanium? First dance with my Styker? When my patella meets the metal? Setting off alarms from coast to coast or Alarming from Coast to Coast? The most felt-up/patted down old lady (old man) in the UK? Metallic Mama?
Okay now have some fun with this....it's not all completely serious (or you will go bonkers!)
 
I'm scheduled for my left tkr on June 25th. I had my right tkr 6 months ago. I'm just hoping this tkr is as successful as my last one in December!
 
Welcome to all you new BoneSmarties!!! The best thing to do is as Elisea says and start your own thread here in the pre-op forum. That way we can get to know more about you in the days leading up to your surgery. We are here for you!!
 
Hi June Sunbeams! I am on the other side! Just got out of surgery a couple of hours ago. I will start a thread in the other forum about my progress. Two new knees!, I am so happy! :SUNsmile: :happydance:
 
Gazelle congratulations! You are just out of surgery and already talking to us! You rock! Can't wait to hear more!
 
Hi everyone! My LTKR is scheduled for June 26th. Can't believe it's finally happening. It was scheduled back on April 1st and I kind of put it in the back of my mind as much as I could. I'm having minimally invasive and am starting to get just a little bit nervous.
 
I will check myself in - June 13th for BTKR in St. Louis - Just turned 30 yesterday.
 
Hi everyone! My LTKR is scheduled for June 26th. Can't believe it's finally happening. It was scheduled back on April 1st and I kind of put it in the back of my mind as much as I could. I'm having minimally invasive and am starting to get just a little bit nervous.

A warm welcome Lovestoread!
I do so appreciate your post; very familiar to many here.

Would you be so kind as to start a thread on the pre-op forum. That way we can properly introduce ourselves and offer advice, comfort, practical advice..... we are not a shy group and will offer up a mug of hot chocolate (virtually) if that's what you would like.

HOW TO START A THREAD

If you have any problems starting it, respond here and we'll have an admin help you set up your thread.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom