Guest viewing is limited

June Sunbeams 2013 - Are you having knee surgery in June?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Add me to the list!!! Number two is scheduled for June 14th!!
 
Hello Sunbeams,
I can't wait until June 3rd, my knees are really aching lately :groan:I am having LTKR
my good knee is bothering me now :tantrum: I will limp into surgery with a smile on my face :) & lead the way for the rest of the Sunbeams :SUNsmile:
Glad to meet everyone !!
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
BLTKR june 10th! Excited but nervous!
 
The list of June Sunbeams having surgery!
If you let us know your surgery date, you will be added to the list!

Week 1 (June 01-08)
June 03 new_knee_in_June (Diana) :SUNsmile:
June 04 Ppaluigi (Luigi) :SUNsmile:
June 04 gazelle7777 :SUNsmile:
June 04 harplayer :SUNsmile:
June 06 Glad2bhear :SUNsmile:

Week 2 (June 9-15)
June 10 OnTheRoad :SUNsmile:
June 12 Dulcimer_Diva :SUNsmile:
June 13 HorseyLady (Alison) :SUNsmile:
June 13 Spotty65 :SUNsmile:
June 14 Titianlady (Toni)

Week 3 (June 16-22)
June 19 Brownie51 :SUNsmile:
June 21 Pjmartin :SUNsmile:

Week 4 (June 23-30)
June 25 Prlady :SUNsmile:


Week To Be Determined
Early June puffin


June 10th for my BLTKR!
 
I've added you to the Master List on the first page.

MASTER LIST

For the members posting, no need to copy the entire list. All that's needed is the information on your surgery and I will add it to the Master List on the front page. Easy Peasy! :yes:

Thanks!
 
Had a blast in the Napa Valley--though I needed the cane for getting on & off wine tour buses, walking undulating terrain and keeping my footing on slippery wine-cellar floors. Wines & food (ate at an "Iron Chef's" restaurant!) were delicious. Amazingly, was able to stick to my low-carb diet! (5 lbs. remaining to my pre-surgery goal of 20 lb. loss). Weather was gorgeous--except a tad too chilly in morning & evening to use the outdoor pool. So I did my walking around the grounds of the resort & winery. (Wouldn't you know it, our room was furthest from the elevator, as it was in the last three hotels where I've stayed).

Had started wondering (as I did last year at this time) whether I really need a LTKR--but in the past few weeks things have changed radically. I definitely need both banisters (or banister + cane) to climb stairs w/o L knee feeling really unstable. (It's given way twice--only a nearby chair to grab kept me from falling). Conversely, after standing at a friend's wedding for 45 min. (and stupidly having been too vain to bring the cane) my L knee locked up painfully. And last night a really pleasant dream was rudely interrupted by stabbing, throbbing pain in my L knee that abruptly wakened me. Only a half-Norco and an ice pack dulled it enough to let me catch that last couple of hours of sleep I needed.

I had been so proud of not needing my Tylenol for two weeks, but went for it today: back got sore this aft. (bless that ice pack again!) and had a hospital black tie gala to attend tonight, and this time I brought the cane (one that matched my outfit).

I start formal pre-op PT (stretches, strengthening quads & glutes for the "good" supporting R leg) May 3. MRI May 6. And more blood work to see if the iron (and quitting NSAIDs) worked and my anemia's gone. June 12 CANNOT arrive too soon!
 
Is it in my head or do my knees have times when they are making me doubt the need for BLTKR? I am having times where they feel worse, and times when they feel great!

I take 100mg Diclofenac daily and two 50mg tramadol at night to sleep, I have been taking this mixture for about a year, so that isnt what is making them feel good some days... Truly confused, but excited about June 10th!
 
Kati, you have no idea how many times last year I kept rationalizing that I didn't really need that RTKR (despite knowing the L's been bone-on-bone for years, doubting that the R--compromised by a failed torn lateral meniscus repair and enough titanium hardware holding the tibia together to build an F-15--was "that bad")! I kept asking myself why I was willing to put myself through the risks of surgery, post-op pain and an arduous recovery. Then each time I was ready to call it off, that dang meniscus would pop with a ripping pain and my knee surfaces would grind together (and I was going through so much diclofenac gel, Flector patches and Aleve that I eventually burned a divot in my stomach). I phoned everyone I knew who had it done, expressing my concerns. On the day of surgery, on my way from the waiting room to the pre-op suite I kept asking the nurse if I was really doing the right thing.

Know what they ALL said? DO IT!!!! DO IT ASAP!!! The fact is that none of us is getting younger and that advanced bone-on-bone osteoarthritis does NOT get better without surgical intervention. The longer you wait, the worse shape your knee will be, the longer and harder recovery may be, and the older and less robust you will be. Today's implants usually last far longer than the 15-20 years estimated at the dawn of joint replacements--especially if you take proper care of yourself.

Did recovery hurt? Oy vey. Duh. But guess what: little by little, you get better and better and better. Do I still get some soreness and discomfort in my R knee? I won't lie to you--I do. It's not as comfy as it was before the cascade of injuries set OA in motion beginning at 40. But compared to how it was in the five years before the RTKR? Not even close--and whatever discomfort I still get goes away after a few steps or flexes. The important thing is that post-surgical pain, as intense as it is at first, only gets better and wanes over time--and you will suddenly realize that your pre-op pain was far, far worse. And pre-op OA pain? It only gets worse. Most importantly, the better shape your joints are in, the easier it is to become fit.

To paraphrase Larry the Cable Guy, "git 'er done." I wish I'd been young and fit enough to have done mine bilaterally, but my R tibia was in such sorry shape and I was so heavy that I had to spend too long in surgery to risk having the L one done at the same time. I am not looking forward to the first few weeks after my LTKR, but I'm sure looking forward to how much better my L knee will feel a couple of months out--and to having a matched set so I can more easily exercise (and have nothing interrupt my sleep but amour, nightmares, alarm clocks, or an affectionate 15-lb. kitty with untrimmed claws).
 
Miss Diva,

Thank you so much! It really helps to know that you and i am sure countless others have been through the same things!
 
Good News Sunbeams,
I just called P.T thinking I would be setting up my therapy dates & found out
it is a replacement class :dancy: I can even ask questions ( they don't know what they are in for) :loll:I am so happy !
scheduled for the end of May pre-surgery medical stuff May 22, LTKR June 3rd.
I have a list of questions ( not to many ) for when the surgeon calls the night before, tapped to my phone.
Talk Soon,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Well I continue to move ahead. Met with my surgeon for my one-on-one knee camp...and all systems are still a go. I am trying to keep working but need to be on my feet alot so my knees are very unhappy. I need to have both replaced but am opting to move ahead one knee at a time. My right knee was severely damaged when I was 14...then surgically repaired at age 19...due to continued dislocation...fast forward 40 years...and my knee has collapsed and shifted making my tibia out of alignment. Am taking Norco everyday to deal with the pain...any pain that results from surgery will at least be a productive pain that restores my life...which has gotten smaller and smaller Blythe pain. Thanks for listening (reading) :-)
 
harplayer, In the top section of the posting box you will see a smiley face. Click on it and you get a drop down of smileys that are available for you to use.
 
Good Morning Sunbeams,
Your leader ( me ) has finally lost it. I am so hungry for knowledge, I have been
reading the hip replacement posts. :rofsign: :rotfl:
Talk Soon,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom