Guest viewing is limited

June 2012 - Are You Having Hip Surgery In June?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, trkkoa....welcome to BoneSmart! I'm glad you joined us. I sounds like you have a full plate right now. We're here for you with whatever support you need.
 
Hi trkkoa, I wrote to you on your own thread and tagged Jo to come have a chat when she can..

Welcome again :)
 
trkkoa, Welcome to bonesmart. Great people and information here. It has been such a wonderful support for me since I started on this journey, as I'm sure it will be for you.

About the anesthesia problems, would you be able to have a spinal block for your surgery? There is no catheter in you, but it it works basically the same way. The only problem might be if the revision surgery takes too long for a spinal block to last long enough for the duration of the surgery. Just something to investigate.

Good luck with your surgery. I hope it goes well and your recovery is speedy.

Dorothy
 
.About the anesthesia problems, would you be able to have a spinal block for your surgery? There is no catheter in you, but it it works basically the same way. The only problem might be if the revision surgery takes too long for a spinal block to last long enough for the duration of the surgery. Just something to investigate.

When I get them to call me back, I will ask about spinal. An OB nurse friend of mine also mentioned a drug called duramorph that they give to moms having c-section. It supposedly controls pain for 24 hours after removal of an epidural. Some things to ask about. Thanks.

I've been told the surgery should take a couple hours but that they won't be able to predict accurately for a revision. They don't know exactly what all needs to be fixed until they see it.
 
I am having a RTHR June 28. I am wondering if I am making the right decision. I have an appointment with the anesthesiologist June 12 and a whole day of preoperative testing and education June 13th so hopefully I will know more about what to expect then. I have only seen my surgeon once back in February and had to make a decision at that appointment, so I went in without knowing what questions to ask.
I have found the information here very interesting.
 
Hi, Pandora...welcome to BoneSmart. I'm so glad the forum is helping you.

I suggest you start your own thread here in the pre-op forum and tell us a bit more about yourself. We love getting to know our members and having your own thread allows people to better respond directly to you.
 
Having THR on left hip on June 7th. I am scarred to death. Had an op to deepen socket when I was 13 in 1981 and believe this was the cause of my problems. I think I will go with the ceramic and plastic...so many choices. I am concerned that hips only last 10-15years and I have heard they can only be redone maybe twice...what does one do after that if still alive, or should I say, still kicking.
So many questions and never enough time to ask them all at the doctors office.:scratch:
 
Hi, Beladona, and welcome!! My surgery is June 8, and thanks to this forum, I am not scared to death, just full of anticipation :blob5:
More knowledgeable folks than me will respond to your comment about hip prostheses only lasting 10-15 years. I think this is no longer the case: the new ones are lasting 20 years, with anticipation of even longer. Of course, a lot depends on you -- doing high-impact activities will shorten the life of your new hip. My surgeon uses the Zimmer unit, which is the usual titanium, with a ceramic ball covered with high-density plastic, sitting in a metal (ummmm cobalt??) cup in my socket.

Explore the library here, there is so much to read! I had to wait 3 months once I got my date, so had plenty of time to peruse it all. You don't have so long, but lucky you, you are getting your new hip NEXT WEEK!

Good luck, and see you in post-op :hapydancsmil:(that little guy is us in 10 weeks!)

Deb
 
Got my date today, June 7th! my pain was unbearable the last couple of weeks and i took early leave and since i've been home the pain has lessen.:what: But i cannot stay at home forever so June is it, the start to something good! I hope! Good luck to all those having surgery in June and months ahead as well! :friends:
 
Hi, Beladona....welcome to BoneSmart. I'm glad you joined our forum.

Why don't you start a thread of your own here in pre-op and post your questions again. It would be better to answer them there. Don't worry....yo're going to be just fine!!!!
 
Hi everybody, newbie here. I'm due to have my LTHR on 12 June - I just received the date on Monday when I went for my pre-op assessment and I'm dreading and looking forward to it in equal measure!
 
Hi everybody, newbie here. I'm having RTHP on June 22nd and have a question. Starting to get a little nervous. I’m a above the knee amputee on the left side and have been for 34 years. I have been hell on my body and it is starting to catch up with me. because I have had a bad walk and put most of the weight on the right side, they tell me I will have to learn to walk more on the left side putting more weight on the left. So my question is has anybody else gone thru this procedure if so your thoughts would greatly be appreciated
 
Hello from sunny London! I'm having THR on my right hip June 21st - ceramic on ceramic. I have a 5 year old son so am (almost) looking forward to 5 days in hospital with no cooking, ironing, cleaning :o) Slightly apprehensive too - on my previous visits to hospital I've gone in, in pain and came out cured. This time I'm walking in relatively healthy and will come out unable to walk - all seems a bit upside down! Still - I know it will be worth it a few months down the line. Not looking forward to wearing hideous TED stockings for 6 weeks - that's going to be some tan line!! Good luck to all June hippies!
 
Hi bondgirl, welcome to the BoneSmart family, great to have you join us.

I like your sense of humor about the five day break away from household chores. :)

Would you like to start a thread of your own to tell us a little more about your need for surgery etc, this way you will find members will pop along and come chat with you. Don't worry too much about the Teds, I know I dreaded them, and after six days my OS said no need for them, you are on blood thinning injections. If you read through a few threads there are similar stories about people liking or not liking them, using or not using them.. all for a good cause though if you have to have them.

We have an extensive library of information (tab off the great nav bar, top of
page,) it is a good place to start to learn more.

Once again, welcome, I will be keenly following your journey. :)
 
Hi Steve's, welcome to the BoneSmart family, great to hear from you.

I am going to tag Jo, our resident Orthopaedic nurse with our 50 years experience. Jo is a wealth of information. @Josephine:

In the meantime, perhaps you would like to start up a thread of your own, tell us a little more about yourself and this way other members will come along and welcome you and chat with you. We also have an extensive library of information (tab off the grey nav bar, top of page) which is a great place to start.

Once again welcome and I look forward to following your journey. :)
 
Hi actophile, welcome to the BoneSmart family also, great that you have joined our discussion forum.

Perhaps you would like to start a thread of your own and tell us a little more about yourself. Also this way other members will pop along and welcome you and chat.

We also have an extensive library of information (tab off the grey nav bar, top of page) with heaps of fantastic information. Must admit I spent a great deal of time perusing through the library articles prior to surgery and post.

Once again, a very big welcome and I look forward to following your journey :)
 
Hi Beladona, just popped by to welcome you to the June hippies. I will be looking forward to following your journey. :)
 
Just popped along to say hi mzsshai21, welcome to the June hippies, I look forward to following your journey :)
 
Well June has already begun in my part of the world, 1 June, very, very early am, still not quite daylight, but I wanted to pop by and say a big hellow to ALL the June hippies.

I will look forward to following your journeys to a better quality of life. -

good luck to you all :)
 
I'm having RTHP on June 22nd and have a question. Starting to get a little nervous. I’m a above the knee amputee on the left side and have been for 34 years. So my question is has anybody else gone thru this procedure
Many, many people have, Steve. You might find the early days of recovery a little more complicated than the average hippie but overall, amputees do just as well with their hip replacements as anybody else. Good luck to you, sir!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom