• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

TKR Judlepip has Turned a Corner!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Judlepip

Judlepip

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thanks Ann - point taken (but no offence taken!!). I worked for the NHS for a few years, but I also had a load of ops; gynae when I was young and then gallbladder etc., both hubs and I feel we've had our money's worth! However, when or if I have to have my second knee done, I shan't feel guilty then believe me.

@Chihuahuan thanks for that. I shall keep wiggling never fear! As to the other one - I do wonder if it could be different; I have a few friends who don't seem to have gone through the same painful and lengthy recoveries as I have. I do remember during my recovery when things just seemed too unbearable, thinking, 'well at least it's over and I never have to go through it again'! So, I'm wary when the other knee plays up and I can see it might need fixing before long. I see you've had both yours done; were they both similar or was one worse than the other? I also wonder if the next one would be even worse! I'm noting that Ann, (@Nana moon 27) has had trouble with BOTH her replacements. :eeeuw:

Chihuahuan

graduate
Country
United States United States
@Judlepip First knee was 9 years before #2 and was fairly easy. It still took a year before it felt like normal. TKR#2 has taken about 18 mths to feel "normal". In both cases I was off pain meds after about 6-8 weeks and just on Tylenol (paracetomol). I feel a little robotic at times and the supporting tissues/muscles around both knees get fatigued but I'm working on that at the gym. Each replacement has evolved in it's own way.
My new norm is much better than being in pain and having joints that did not function well at all.
One thing that really helped me was that we have a single floor home and I have a hubby who did everything for weeks to allow me to recover. In fact he still cooks part of the time :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Judlepip

Judlepip

senior
Country
Hi anyone who's out there! Predictably my wonderful improved knee has slipped back into it's old ways and I wondered if anyone knows how I can access Manipulation. Would that be through physio, or is there a special practitioner? @Jamie, @pumpkin, @Josephine. Can you help with a bit of advice re this? I'll also look on site, there may well be some info there. Thanks in advance.

Pumpkln

Country
Judlepip,
I wish your knee would just stay in place, Josephine is in the UK and is best to tell you which practitioner to seek to help manipulate you knee, and help keep in where it functions best.
They should be able to show you some simple exercises to help keep it in place.
Hope you find some answers,

OP
OP
Judlepip

Judlepip

senior
Country
Ok Thanks Pumpkin. (I wish it would too!)

Nana moon 27

alpha
Country
Oh @Judlepip I do hope you can get your knee sorted. It's horrible when things don't go to plan. I hope that you're keeping okay?

Love Nana moon 27 xxx

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
Hi Judlepip - let's see if I can suggest anything. Of coruse, you know this will inevitably end up with loads of questions!
Predictably my wonderful improved knee has slipped back into it's old ways
Can you define what you mean by 'it's old ways'?
I wondered if anyone knows how I can access Manipulation. Would that be through physio, or is there a special practitioner?
The only portal for MUA is your surgeon but what makes you think an MUA is necessary?

I'm going to ask you some questions and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_nonofisss.gif
)
Also don't forget to include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. What is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often?

Can you detail it like this

Exercises done at home: 3 sessions a day
Heel slides x10 (reps)
Strait leg raises x10
Steps x10

At PT
Squats x5 (reps) x2 (sets)
Wall slides x5 x2
Clamshells X5 x2

OP
OP
Judlepip

Judlepip

senior
Country
Hi @Josephine. Thanks for answering.

'It's old ways' merely referred to the old pain and discomfort prior to the inadvertant manipulation I did accidentally when on the coach (early July) as reported on a previous page. I wasn't necessarily wanting MUA, just manipulation as I did myself (or as someone suggested, it was MWA) I've tried to replicate whatever it was I did on the coach, but can't achieve any results. This is what I reported in July;
OK! Listen up - a funny thing happened to me (didn't get as far as the theatre!) We went up to London for the day and my leg/knee was it's usual achey painful self. Then on the coach on the way home, I swung my leg in the aisle to stretch and ease it and, all of a sudden there was a click and an excruciating pain. I quickly drew it in and rubbed it and thought no more of it. The next day, and each day since, my knee is so much better. My leg is not aching all day long; I can bend more easily (and deeper), I can walk without pain and I don't have the pain in my upper tibia. It's truly amazing.

As for your questions:

1 My pain level is probably about 2 - 3, but this is mainly aching rather than hard pain.

2 I don't take any pain medication.

3 I no longer ice my knee (it's nearly 2 years since my op. and it's not swollen)

4 I elevate my leg almost every time I sit; just for a cuppa or to watch television.

5 ROM is 'normal' (like an ordinary knee). I believe extension is normal i.e. straight.

6 Activity levels are not particularly high; I get by with housework, but not any that include bending, same with
gardening - can't do as can't bend. My main exercise is walk aerobics which I would aim to do for up to an
hour a day. When the leg is painful I can't do this.

7 My PT exercises are not formal, just stretches and kicks when the leg is aching or stiff. Can't do
squats at all at any level; nor wall slides. I can't bend down (to pick things up or to wipe a floor), I can't sit or
stand without using my arms as levers.

I was managing and had given up on any improvement, but when I did the accidental manipulation, it was such a marked improvement, I was disappointed when it slowly got back to normal! The improvement lasted for about 6-7 weeks.

I just wondered where I might access someone who could do what I did to my knee when I 'manipulated' it which made such improvement to pain and activity.

Chihuahuan

graduate
Country
If you have "normal" ROM I wonder why you have trouble with squats of any kind? Sounds as though you need to work on stretching quads and hamstrings --maybe they need unsticking?

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
Thanks for the answers - not a lot I can add to them, I'm afaid
5 ROM is 'normal' (like an ordinary knee). I believe extension is normal i.e. straight.
Okay, can you provide me with a photo of you knee bent to its fullest? I shall need to be able to see both your hip bone and your ankle bone. Probably be easiest like this

ROM measuring.jpg

I just wondered where I might access someone who could do what I did to my knee when I 'manipulated' it which made such improvement to pain and activity.
You cannot self-refer to someone for an MUA. You will have to get your GP to refer you back to your surgeon and he will decide if an MUA is called for. But it's now been almost 2 years so I doubt he'd be terribly enthusiastic about it. Bt I'll be able to say more when I see your piccy!

chestnc

big-cheese
Country
Hi @Judlepip, good to see you are still on BS, sorry to hear you are having issues. Hope they get resolved soon. You are in good hands. Not to worry. Hope you are feeling and bending well real soon. Take good care of yourself.

OP
OP
Judlepip

Judlepip

senior
Country
@Josephine. Sorry to have been so long replying. I don't want a MUA I just wondered if a physio or someone could manipulate it to a better position. I have absolutely NO desire to see another surgeon and therefore there is no point my taking it any further if that's the only option. No worries. I can soldier on! :hiking:

Nana moon 27

alpha
Country
Hi Judlepip. I totally understand your reservations about MUA. I was under threat of that due to poor/restricted rom. I got referred to hydrotherapy on the NHS , started going to aquacise. Last week it had improved from 40 deg to 90 and the OS was so pleased (not half as much as me). It meant no MUA!!!

Would it be possible for you to be referred?

Pumpkln

Country
Judlepip,
I think you are referring to manual therapy, osteopathy, or chiropractic to move your knee joint in such a way it goes into the position you accidentally put in earlier this year?
You will need to find someone with advanced training in their field.
Good luck,

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
Hey Judles - how about that picture of your knee?

OP
OP
Judlepip

Judlepip

senior
Country
See earlier post Josephine. But thanks anyway.

@Josephine. Sorry to have been so long replying. I don't want a MUA I just wondered if a physio or someone could manipulate it to a better position. I have absolutely NO desire to see another surgeon and therefore there is no point my taking it any further if that's the only option. No worries. I can soldier on! :hiking:

OP
OP
Judlepip

Judlepip

senior
Country
Thanks @pumpkin, I think that's probably what I need. I'll follow it up with GP.

Chihuahuan

graduate
Country
Hi Judith: Have been thinking about you. My knee has improved so much since I've been going to a stretching and mobility class. Can you touch your toes from a standing position? We are doing it with either toes or heels on a phone book. It really stretches the hamstrings and gluts. The other one we do that stretches similar muscles is the "Good Morning" http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/photo-gallery/33050622/image/33083953/Good-Morning

Nana moon 27

alpha
Country
How are you getting on @Judlepip? I hope you have managed to find some sort of solution for your knee
Take Care
Nana moon 27 x

OP
OP
Judlepip

Judlepip

senior
Country
Hello Ann (@Nana moon 27 ) I'm remarkably well thank you! It's two years now (give or take a week or so) since my TKR and I can now, at last, say that it's fine! Obviously, it's still crooked but I seem to be the only one to whom that's a problem! None of the 3 surgeons I saw were at all impressed with it. (but then they're not 'wearing' it are they?!) Seriously, I'm feeling great and can walk distances almost as I used to. Have yet to try 8 or 9 miles, but I hope to get there. How are you and your problems? You certainly went through the mill. I'll pop over to your thread to catch up with your news. Thanks for thinking of me. xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GlassHarmonica
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom