Guest viewing is limited

TKR Judlepip has Turned a Corner!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are great exercises! No way I am putting a knee to the ground though. I did manage to get off the floor on hands and feet yesterday, same way I used to. It has been a whole year and I lost confidence in being able to do it. I used to do backwards lunges as forward was too much for my sore knees. Also my PT tells me to have feet apart, knees over toes when doing things like this. I could sit to stand off my recliner! TKR wasn't happy about it, pulled a lot more than the natural knee but did it fine.

Start by sitting down slowly. I used to catch the seat with my hands to be sure I was going to land safely. Getting control of going down is hard work. I still use my hands to get off my recliner and am thinking maybe if I try using only fingers, then only half the fingers might be transitional enough for me. Practice sitting and standing at many levels as well. My highest was the commode, next the bed, the dining chairs, the window seat, the sofa and lowest is my recliner. I could bounce off the bed which is definitely cheating but if it builds confidence in your muscle strength then it is a good idea anyway! And I don't do squats as an exercise, it is super hard on my knee.I get up lots more than I need to but no sets with reps for me.
 
@Chihuahuan - those are so very helpful! Thank you. I have bookmarked them and shall try to do them regularly along with my aerobics! Sadly I can't put knee to ground either, so I can't do that one to stand from the floor, but I shall continue to read, there may be others that I can do.

@KYata Thanks for your tips too. Everyone is so helpful and I do appreciate it. I am assessing that all these tips imply slow starts. I'm sure I've been trying to 'run before I could walk' - baby steps..
 
Baby steps is the way to go! It's a very slow process but I can now easily get up and down off the toilet and chairs. Just take it slowly and you will make progress.
 
Back when I was in school it was pass/fail for all these exercises. See that rope? Up you go or an F for you. No training or lower difficulty exercise to learn how to do it. PE was a fail back then!

If you can do 2 reps of an exercise then that is your base and your goal might be 3 in a week or two. If you balance for 5 seconds or put your foot down 10x in a minute then that is your baseline. If you can get off the 18" tall chair without using your hands then find a chair an inch lower so you can get off that chair without hands in a couple weeks.
 
Judlepip,
Biofreeze is an OTC topical for pain in the US, you can give it a try to see if it helps.
 
Thanks Chihuahuan and Pumpkin. On the whole I don't need it for my operated leg, but the other one is nagging at me now! Someone told me of it here and I looked it up on Amazon, but thought I'd ask for opinions before buying it.

I'm very glad to report that my operated leg is still pretty darn good (!) since my inadvertent manipulation! I can walk a lot and exercise too, almost back to my old level! I wondered whether to tell the OSs that I came into contact with (about my manipulation), I'm quite sure they wouldn't be interested, but I feel they ought to know for when they come across someone else whose pain they can't explain. :umm::whistle:
 
No idea on BioFreeze. I defer to the other opinions.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I have some in a drawer right now that I tried on my knee a while before surgery. It helped a bit but wasn't a cure-all by any means. If your other knee isn't too bad, it might help. I'd start with a small bottle and give it a try before going all in!

Roxie
 
Hi @Judlepip

I've read Your thread with great interest. Wow you're going through such a lot. As usual, your facing it and dealing with it as best you can x good for you x

The reason I've contacted you is that hydrotherapy and the gym are available at some of the hospitals that do orthopaedic surgery. It's worth asking your GP for a referral. Hydrotherapy works ever so well. After my revision it did the trick and then it was time for the other one to be done x

Another very popular cream is Flexiseq. Lloyds chemist sell this. Worth a read. It depends really on the condition of your other knee. Moms friend used it, said her knee was so much better and recommended mom to tell me about it. Too late for me by then. It sounds like a miracle cure but see what you think.

I'm glad you're almost back to your previous level of fitness x

Nice to see you're back!

Love Nana moon 27 x
 
Thanks Ann. I'm going to try Biofreeze and possibly Flexiseq. Anything that helps is a plus! My old knee is getting worse and worse, but I'm very, very reluctant to have anything done to it! 'Been there, done that'!

New knee is mainly good, but I have to keep waving it around! It tends to embarrass hubs a little! We were at a Service station yesterday and I stood on the steps before attempting them, and waved said knee about! He wasn't happy! Knee saw me down the steps though! I'm sure hydrotherapy would help, but I can't see our medics referring me for that. I think I've cost them enough!
 
Thanks @pumpkin. The snag is that in the UK we are reliant on our wonderful NHS. I just feel that I've received a lot from them, (what with three different specialist referrals!) and any more is just more cost for them.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello again @Judlepip, I'm glad to read that things are looking up for you at last, you have been through such a lot. Hydrotherapy on the NHS wasn't an option for me, but I paid for two sessions, made a note of all the exercises (& I used a handy crib sheet from @dogwheels) and then I took myself to the local pool and used the learner pool early each morning - beautifully heated, just deep enough and empty - ideal. I found that the water exercises were the most helpful activity in both my recoveries. I hope you continue to improve and that your other knee gets sorted for you as soon as you want it.
 
I've been reading through your posts @Judlepip. I want you to consider something. I don't know how many years you worked and contributed towards the NHS via your National Insurance payments and Tax. There are people coming here having very costly treatment without ever paying or ever having contributed anything into the system. I think you'll find you've more than paid your dues for treatment xxx
Soap box moment over. No offence meant xxx
 
@Judlepip Keep wiggling your knee if it helps! :) Don't forget that if you do decide to have the other one done it can be quite different.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom