TKR Judlepip has Turned a Corner!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I did seek a second opinion way back in September last year. It just seemed like I hit the Old Boys' network, in spite of the new OS being a 'nearly relative' of mine (Niece's brother-in-law!); it was clear from the start that he wasn't going to say anything was wrong. He just said the malalignment was within normal limits (I don't know whose normal!!) and didn't warrant a revision. All well and done, but I still have pain and am not a happy bunny! I shall see the original surgeon at the end of the month for follow up after arthroscopy, but I don't expect much from him. Fed up with being disabled for no good reason.
 
Found your Photo it is from page 8 post #156, looks markedly crooked to me.
Hello Thanks for reply. I hope this is clearer. (I see clearly why I no longer wear a swimsuit!!)

[Bonesmart.org] Judlepip has Turned a Corner!!
 
I agree.....you need a different opinion outside that network. Let @Josephine recommend someone for you and talk with them. Your photo says it all. It doesn't look acceptable to me!
 
The second opinion OS I saw was from outside my area (I'm in East Kent, he was in the Horder Centre in Sussex). No joy there I fear. Josephine did kindly recommend a couple of names from The Royal National Orthopaedic up in Middlesex, but as, at the time, my husband was still recovering from a stroke, it seemed too far a journey to make (he'd have to do the driving, as I don't do distance driving any more!). I imagined (in my foolishness) that a recommendation for revision might be advised and the practicalities of that seemed insurmountable. So I chose The Horder as more practical as we have relatives near that he could have stayed with if that proved necessary. However, all was futile as it turned out! I have to add that no-one I've seen has been in the least impressed with the photo! My original surgeon says that "your expectations were too high" Yes, I expected to feel better after TKR not worse! Silly me! He had the gall to say to my GP (in a letter so not to my face) "I also do feel very strongly that Judith's expectations of the knee are in excess of that a replaced knee can achieve, she says that she gets discomfort with aerobics and she may have to accept that aerobics are not sensible with her knee replacement" This just after he said that I had superb range of movement (as if it were to his credit!) I wonder how he thought I achieved that range?!!

Not to worry, I soldier on! Thanks for all your comments.
 
Have you looked at the circle hospitals I had mine done at circlebath was an hour for me but worth it brilliant surgeon and caring staff this was under NHS choices there are a number of them around the country i cannot speak for their surgeons but some googling or Josephine might know how good they are
Reason I say this is the surgeons do one thing only what they specialise in that makes huge difference
 
My original surgeon says that "your expectations were too high"
Balderdash! I found my edited version of your photo and showed the deformity was not 'within normal limits'!

[Bonesmart.org] Judlepip has Turned a Corner!!



So if you please would furnish me with the name of your surgeon and the one you saw at the Horder, I could then have something to work on.
 
Hello @Josephine! Well, the original (and now current) surgeon is Mr P J S Jeer and the Horder one was Mr A P Butler-Manuel. I'm not sure if anything can be done now as, no doubt?, the bone will have fused pretty firmly with the implant?
 
I had a revision 11 years after the original knee replacement. All the hardware was removed and replaced, so it is possible.
 
Mr A P Butler-Manuel 285 primary TKRs and 37 revisions 1 April 2013 to 31 March 2014
Mr P J S Jeer 246 primary TKRs and 18 revisions 1 April 2013 to 31 March 2014 So both have pretty good stats.

I'm not sure if anything can be done now as, no doubt?, the bone will have fused pretty firmly with the implant?
and you got your orthopaedic degree when? (just kidding!). Did you have an uncemented knee then? Either way, they can get'm out if the need arises! To quote the old saying "Ve has our methods"! :wink:
 
Yes, I knew Butler-Manuel had a good history as I checked him out. Also knees have been his speciality so I understand. I thought I was on a safe bet with him! I have no idea what sort of replacement mine was; no doubt I was told, but as it's 'all greek' (no orthopaedic degree you see!) to me, my brain didn't retain the information!
 
Hi @Judlepip I didn't get any alerts to your post so I've just unwatched and watched your thread so hopefully this should have helped the problem. I find this happens a bit when I've not been in contact with someone for a while.

Anyway, the reason I've contacted you is to wish you good luck with finding a second opinion. How can your expectation be classed unrealistic? You wanted to walk, live a normal life and hopefully exercise. Most aerobic stuff can be done at a lower level rather than advanced in any class. I'm sure that you know your limitation. The whole point of having a knee replacement is to give you improved mobility and some freedom/relief from arthritic pain!

I'm no expert but your leg looks crooked to my eye. Josephine's line clearly shows this to be the case. No wonder you're having such trouble. I'm so sorry you are going through this. You tried so hard to get back to normal. No one can say that you didn't. I think your surgeon is plainly trying to avoid it's not right. However, Judith, that's just my opinion. I'm not medically qualified.

Judith, you may not have been told what your replacement was. My husband had to ask when I went for the appointment to discuss the trouble I was having before my revision. At no point before that was I told or even shown a replacement knee even looked like. Before the first surgery, I thought I was going to be shown a replacement, how it works etc and be told what one I was being fitted with. I was very disillusioned when this failed to happen. Then I thought they might show us one at Joint replacement school...Nope again. I'm sure it would have helped some of us understand this complex recovery that we undergo.

I'm sorry for taking up your thread. I hope it was relevant and helpful for you. You helped me so much before. Thank you.

Good luck
Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Ann (@Nana moon 27) thank you so much for your good wishes. It does seem hard doesn't it? When I read of your successful revision I was given new hope. I don't know what, if anything, will happen. I've tried a second opinion and got nowhere. It seems hard to get an honest answer to straight questions, or statements, in the orthopaedic world! When I have pointed out to surgeons that my knee is crooked, they have both, so far denied any serious malalignment. If it hadn't been for Josephine's instructive grid on my photograph, I would have thought it was just me and I must get on with it.

I hope you're doing well, I know you're waiting for your next one now - brave girl! When is it to be?
Judith
x
 
Don't give up, Judith! :console2:

Keep pushing for a third or fourth opinion, until you find a surgeon who will take your concerns seriously. You deserve better than you have now.
 
Whoopee! I have some sort of a result; I had my appointment with OS (Mr Jeer for your info @Josephine) and went in with a walking stick! (I WILL make you see I have a problem!). He commented on that, and then wiggled the leg about a bit; said the arthroscopy showed some arthritis behind the patella (hence the chondroplasty). I showed him Josephine's photo of the malalignment and he showed me the CT scan and X-ray (I'll show you mine if you show me yours!) which showed a similar discrepancy. He hadn't shown me those before, so that was something also. He then said "There has been a slight increase in the valgus" - oh right, it increased it's deformity all by itself?! I made no comment. Anyway, the outcome is he is referring me for a third opinion to ....... Mr Richard Carrington or Prof Briggs at Stanmore! Just as you advised @Josephine! I was really pleased that he is not just brushing me off again and is doing what Josephine suggested months ago! Hurray! He talked about "before we look into redoing the whole thing" which is an advancement in itself. He wouldn't go near that before! I feel I'm getting somewhere and so pleased I didn't just accept the situation. Thank you so much for advice and support. :yay:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom