TKR Judlepip has Turned a Corner!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, hello to you Ann! I don't often look and, in fact, your message popped up in my mailbox. Otherwise, I think I would have missed you! Thank you for thinking of me.

I've just read a little of your thread and read with horror of your grandson's injury. I'm so sorry and I hope he'll soon be fighting fit again.

Just to catch you up with my news; my sudden 'recovery' from my knee was short-lived and I've been back to the original surgeon - he took bloods, a CT scan of hip, knee and ankle (don't know why all three) and now this Friday, I'm going in for an arthroscopy. I think he thinks I'm a pain in the neck, but I'm not prepared just to accept that I'm now disabled! If nothing else comes of it, at least I've tried!

Now I need to hear more of your news - did I read right that you're waiting for more surgery? Heavens what for. I really thought, and hoped that you'd be back to normal by now. Tell me the latest when you've time. I do pop in from time to time, but hadn't read that bit of news.
 
Hi @Judlepip

I'm so sorry your knee is not right still.


Yes you read right. I'm still off work. I had a revision done last September on my TKR. That's seems to be doing the trick at last but sometimes it plays up. My left knee is due to be replaced in June at the latest but I'm down for a cancellation. It's dreadful. Its bone on bone at the back, got tricompartmental arthritis, no fluid behind the knee cap and it feels like something is broken in there and in the wrong place, along with no cartilage. Here's the joke. This is the knee the other hospital said they could save. When the OS at this hospital looked he shook his head and said he didn't know what they were even going to save!!! I was devastated.

I developed severe mental health problems. They started in November and I went completely off the rails. I couldn't go out, I didn't want to see people, I wanted to stay in my bed and never get out. My daughter grabbed me one particularly bad afternoon and literally forced me in to the car. I was crying, shaking heaving. I thought I was going to did. She took me to the GP who immediately doubled my antidepressant. He referred me for online CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy). This helped a bit. Now they've decided I need to speak to someone one to one. I'm waiting for the appointment x tbh, since the nights are lighter I'm much better in me x x x

Poor hubby lost his eldest brother on Boxing night and the funeral couldn't take place until 20th January. Then his brother in law died and his close friend passed away and we had the funeral last week. So very sad for him.

Anyway the good news is moms cataract op has finally healed and she's agreed to get the other one done.my dad's hernia op was a success.

My daughter is still undergoing tests for her mystery illness x they ruled out cancer, now they've just tested her blood for Coeliac.

Take care, it was lovely to hear from you
Love Nana moon 27 xox
 
Thanks @kneeper. So true. I'll keep on nagging!

@Nana moon 27 - wow you really have been through the mill. I'm so sorry to hear of all your troubles, but glad that you're feeling stronger and receiving help. Well, I'm glad too that your daughter is cleared of cancer at least. I hope when they find out what it is, that it's easily treated. Life's been throwing a lot at you these last couple of years.

I've been suffering with high blood pressure, but no-one seems to know why (loads of tests done) For some reason 'they' have decided it doesn't need treatment at the moment. In the meantime, I'm continuously dizzy and having to hold on to the furniture to get around! I put it all down to OA (old age!!) There are so many symptoms from that particular nasty!!!
Nice to hear from you and take it easy! :friends:
 
@Judlepip,

Don't let them dismiss your symptoms! I thought I was having an asthma attack, when in frailty, my heart was going into atrial fibrillation. I should have heeded the signs a little better... Shortness of breath, tiredness, dizziness, etc,:unsure::thud:
 
Arthroscopy all done. I'm feeling great. I swear the knee is less painful, but could be imagination! It also looks less crooked! MUST BE IMAGINATION! Anyway, I'm relieved to have it over and done with. Now, no more hospital - please!
 
Judlepip.....so glad you're arthroscopy went well. So....how high is "high" blood pressure??? Please don't let the doctors fluff you off if this continues. If you're dizzy, that is not just "old age."
 
Congratulations on getting your Arthroscopy done. I sincerely hope all is sorted now. Please keep us posted as to how you get on.

Nana moon 27
 
Judlepip,
Happy to hear your arthroscopy went well and you are feeling better already. Please have your blood pressure checked out, mine was out of control, turned out I had sleep apnea. Now my blood pressure is under control and I am sleeping better.
Keep us posted on your recovery from the arthroscopy,
 
@Judlepip I'm so glad you have had the procedure and are happy with the outcome, but I admit to being confused - have you had an arthroscopy on your new knee? What did they do? I thought they just washed out, trimmed up, but what can they do on a prosthesis? Sorry if I've missed something earlier, but I am interested to know, Lyn xxx
 
Thanks all for the comments. @Jamie and @Pumpkln - my BP has been up in the 200s (systolic), but briefly. However, fairly regularly it is 165/68 rising to 176 or 185 or 190 on occasion. It seems to be an episodic thing which my GP says he's monitoring. I'm to have another 24hr BP monitor end of next month (had one last in October), but only really because I asked for it! When I went in to have the arthroscopy it was 176/? and they wondered if they could go ahead, but the anaesthetist said it was OK (to go ahead). I do keep returning to GP with it because I am hoping to avoid a stroke or heart attack! Whilst I don't want medication, it would be preferable to a stroke! When I have high BP, I also have dizziness which GP has put down to vertigo, but which I don't think is vertigo! However, they've been thorough; I've had a brain scan, which showed nothing untoward, so I'm not knocking my GP. I just think they're missing something with the dizziness.

@Ellejay The arthroscopy (yes, on new knee) was to see what, if anything, is causing the continued pain and swelling. He took some tissue and sent some for biopsy. I think he just wanted to shut me up as I've continued to moan about the new knee and the pain I still suffer 16 months on! I now feel that at least they've done all they can do, so I'll shut up about it now!
 
Thanks for the explanation about your blood pressure situation. I think you're wise to insist that it be monitored. Since you have these episodes of higher pressure with the dizziness, I'm with you that it doesn't sound like vertigo. So never, ever feel guilty about bugging the doctors when something is going on. You are the best judge of YOU.

With your knee....you could always seek additional opinions. @Josephine might have a suggestion for someone to see.
 
When I have high BP, I also have dizziness which GP has put down to vertigo, but which I don't think is vertigo!
Contrary to popular notion, hypertension (high BP) really does not cause dizziness or anything else. It's completely asymptomatic which is why it's called the silent killer. However, one thing that CAN effect the blood pressure is anxiety.

I've dealt with folk with BP similar to yours and no medications would effect it. I got some of them to let me teach them self-hypnosis and during the first 20 min session their BP went down from 170/110 to 130/90! If only we lived closer I could teach you!
 
Thanks @Josephine. What they actually diagnosed was Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo to be precise. However, as I said, I disagree. Certainly some episodes of the dizziness could be ascribed to anxiety, but I have not been aware of anxiety when noting the hypertension. I like the idea of the self hypnosis! I'm going to look it up and see if I can help myself or else find a practitioner. Thank you.
 
I'd be willing to give you a starter over the phone if you'd PM me your number
 
@Josephine. Thank you, much appreciated. I'm wondering if Mindfulness would be similarly helpful if only I would allow enough time to do it?!! I have an audio book 'Mindfulness: The eight-week Meditation Programme for a Frantic World'. Mark Williams and Danny Penman. I wonder if you've heard of it? Unfortunately, I have yet to make myself make time to listen to it effectively and I fear it would be the same with self-hypnosis. I'm not very self-disciplined. Your comments would be much appreciated.

However, while you're there (!), I wonder if you can help with a knee-related problem; following arthroscopy I have now removed bandages etc., and have the padded tubigrip thingy. Unfortunately, I don't seem to recall how long I ought to wear this! I know the point of it is to keep the swelling down, but as I have no swelling I can't see the point. It makes wearing other than stretchy trousers rather difficult! :shrug:
 
Meditation and self-hypnosis are chalk and cheese! Give me your phone number and I will talk you through it. You will be surprised how easy it is! It will only take about 20-30 minutes at most.
 
Sorry to hear you are still having problems. I'm also still experiencing pain a year after my BTKRs. Beyond taking lots of xrays and saying my implants look great, my OS has no suggestions or explanations other than to say that he had to do a lot of extra cutting on the left (worst) knee due to bowing and that it's possibly still inflamed. I'm still using a cane and on pain meds and don't really foresee getting off them unless there is dramatic improvement. I WILL NOT have more elective surgery so I'm just trying to accept this situation. I'm greatly disappointed but will not let it spoil whatever years I have left to live.

I hope your situation resolves in some way that you can live with and wishing the best for you.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@VancouverUSAgal - Hi Linda

Thank you for your good wishes. I'm sorry to hear that you still have problems after a year. It's tough sometimes! I do find, if it helps, that even after 16 months, things are still improving, so hopefully will for you too.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom