TKR Judlepip has Turned a Corner!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Judlepip
I have made a similar decision --just make accommodations and get on with life.
TKR#1 was great. TKR#2 has been quite different -- recovery to walking was fairly straightforward but it has taken over 18 mths for all the swelling and pain to go away. It still lets me know if I do too much!
I cannot crouch or squat either --maybe find some toilet seat liners and do as I do use the "disabled" toilets. I'm hoping that it comes with time. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lightweight-Travel-Toilet-Seat-Covers/dp/B00PHGLDLM/?tag=ate362da-21
Before the TKR my knee would give way --now it functions well just not the same as before. As long as I can walk a few miles--sometimes with a stick-- I'm okay.
Wishing you well :SUNsmile:
 
@Chihuahuan Thanks for your encouragement and the great idea! I have actually ordered them, right now! I will still need to stand up again from the toilet, but hey with the help of the walls! That's why I go for the disabled ones 'cos I can use the rails. Hey ho such is life! I have decided just to get on with it, as you did. At my age, I don't want to waste any further time hoping for improvements.

I hope you're doing well and walking a few miles sounds good. I must get back into some routine. Thanks a lot. :)
 
I'll just do what I feel like each day. At the moment that's not much, but I like the feeling that I'm in charge!! Then I'll be off and walking my aerobic miles with Leslie Sansone. She's great and it's such good exercise. Off to France next week, so I'll leave it till my return.
 
@Judlepip
so sorry to hear about your problems and pain, I am in pain myself at the moment having fainted and landed with a thump on my bottom with my leg folded up under me.
I have a practical suggestion for your loo problem. I have a gadget called a SheeWee, purchased from a hiking and camping shop, which i use out walking, in dodgy public loos, and also to fill a specimen bottle for the Doctor. It enables woman to spend a penny while standing up, like men do. The other thing you could do is carry a handbag size of anti sceptic hand gel, and wipe the seat with a little bit of it on some loo paper. Personally I just give the loo seat a wipe with paper.
Hope things improve for you.
Jackie
 
I want now to put it behind me and get on with my life

Hi Judlepip I know `settling' is not an easy decision, but for some of us, its the right one. The struggle is always should I be bold and keep looking for an OS who is prepared to help me or do I accept what I've got. Sometimes I caught myself wishing my knee was worse than it is. I thought if it were really really bad then the medical profession would have to take me seriously. Stupid or what? but I bet you can understand. But with time I have come to accept what I've got.

With acceptance comes peace. You say to yourself `OK its not what I'd hoped for but I can manage it and what's more its not taking over my life'. I remember @maryo52 saying this to me in the early days of my recovery. The penny didn't really drop then, but now I get it. I no longer `fight' my knee. I no longer wake up each morning hoping today will be the day the tight band goes away, only to be disappointed.

Its a shame we ended up in the 20% (I believe the figure is more) who didn't get a good outcome. But that's life. So I think you are dead right in deciding to get on with yours. Very best wishes.

ps: I bet if OSs were female the current communication problems that we have with the male surgeons would improve overnight.:wink:
 
To all and to @Majic and @patient 99 thank you for your understanding comments. Jackie, sorry to hear you fell on your behind with your leg, obviously awkwardly underneath. Ouch. I hope you're feeling better now. I like your suggestion of the SheWee and I've looked it up on amazon. I shall order it as soon as we're back from France (away for 4 days next week). I wish I had it now - it would be useful in France! I have another thingy called a TravelJohn which solidifies liquid when used. However, that wouldn't be much help in a public loo; your idea is brilliant. I had heard of them, but just imagined them for in the car when caught in a traffic jam. In public loos is a great idea! Thanks for that.

Carol. How right you are. I actually feel so much more relaxed about it all now that I've made that decision. I can and will 'get on with my life' - disabled knee or not! Well done to you for coming to that decision yourself and I'm glad that you've come to terms with it. I decided to 'befriend' my knee from the start when I first got it so I don't really fight it, but I had been hoping it would be more friendly to me! However, as things are I'm a great deal better off than many others! Upward and onward!

All words of support and advice very gratefully received. I shall pop in from time to time. I HAVE turned a corner, of sorts, and I shall go forward now - knowing where I stand (excuse the pun!) Affectionate thanks to all.
 
I can vouch for the Sheewee, I have used mine in rural France, all over India,in fact anywhere where a combination of painful knees and squat toilets are a bad idea.
I'm glad to hear you sound so positive @Judlepip, I am so sorry that you haven't been one of the lucky ones with a successful outcome, but you sound as if you are going to move on now, good luck for the future xxx
 
Hi @Ellejay. How nice to hear from you. How are you doing now? Both knees done last year, wow! I'm impressed. Are you ok with them both? I hope so.

We're off to France for 4 days so I'm ordering Sheewee on my return (otherwise it'll have to be delivered to a neighbour and I'll spare them that!) Unfortunately I have a delivery expected while we're away (I was hoping it would arrive before now) and I have to worry as the last time I had a delivery when out, the delivery person delivered it to the house opposite - dear old man with Alzheimers. He opened it, broke all the wrappings and protective bits, examined it and left it. When I collected it, he said "Oh, I wondered what that was." Obviously hadn't noticed it was addressed to me and had forgotten that he was looking after it for me! Fortunately I was able to keep it as, had it been a returns job, I would have been stuck as all the wrappings were destroyed! I'm just hoping that my expected parcel is delivered next door, not opposite! Such is the rich tapestry of life!! :heehee:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
[Bonesmart.org] Judlepip has Turned a Corner!!
 
OK! Listen up - a funny thing happened to me (didn't get as far as the theatre!) We went up to London for the day and my leg/knee was it's usual achey painful self. Then on the coach on the way home, I swung my leg in the aisle to stretch and ease it and, all of a sudden there was a click and an excruciating pain. I quickly drew it in and rubbed it and thought no more of it. The next day, and each day since, my knee is so much better. My leg is not aching all day long; I can bend more easily (and deeper), I can walk without pain and I don't have the pain in my upper tibia. It's truly amazing. If all it took was that bit of manipulation why on earth didn't one of the specialists I've seen sort that out long, long, long before now?

Any one have any thoughts on that? @Josephine, @Jamie or any advisor on site.
 
Sounds like a manipulation with out anesthesia MWA. I remember you were doing OK and all of a sudden you weren't early in recovery, something must have happened.
I am thrilled you are feeling better, no matter the reason. :yay::happydance::wowspring::spin:

OS's and other MD's do not do manipulations or manual therapy, but how would you know to see a chiropractor, osteopath, or manual therapist.

:egypdance::friends::dancy:
 
you go lucky here with the little click I am sure that was an adhesion popping as it was torn. good work.
 
Self manipulation....ouch! But a good thing! [emoji1]

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Yep, that can happen. Count your blessings and enjoy the improvement! Sometimes when we stop worrying about our progress, things just "happen" for the best.
 
Thanks for replies - all helpful. @Pumpkln in answer to your query - No, the leg doesn't look any straighter I'm afraid. I imagine it would have been a lot more painful had I made that much adjustment!
 
I suppose predictably, the improvement is beginning to wear off. Now I have to try to repeat whatever movement I did! Here goes!:beg:
 
That's a shame, was really hoping that it would be a permanent change for you.:thud:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom