TKR Judlepip has Turned a Corner!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
the outcome is he is referring me for a third opinion to ....... Mr Richard Carrington or Prof Briggs at Stanmore! Just as you advised, Josephine!
Finally! It's taken him long enough but at least he's done the right thing in the end. But your ploy of using a stick was ace! Well done1
 
Now, as the time to see Prof Briggs draws near, I am becoming more and more nervous! Looking through the letters I've received (copies of those sent on to my GP) it is clear that neither surgeon (the original and the second opinion) thinks that revision is the answer or indeed that there IS an answer. It seems it may just be 'shut up and get on with it' and I'm feeling more and more of a nuisance. However, I will see this through and get Prof Brigg's opinion. If it's the same then I suppose I've just been really unlucky, but as there IS something not right with my knee, I don't see why it can't be corrected. Not long to wait now, this Thursday up in London. They've given me Bolsover Street which is so much easier to get to than Stanmore. I've got all fingers and toes crossed.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you @Chihuahuan. I fear I'll be fobbed off again, but I suppose, if so, that I'll have been fobbed off by the top man!!
 
Be assertive!!! You have a right to an explanation of "why" for whatever the doctor tells you. Take notes so you can tell us all the details.
 
In glad to see your getting another opinion. Sometimes we have to keep on them. We know if something is not right with our knee...

Short story. Had knee replace partial
Dec.1,2014 by Dec 18 And after I was in bad tear pain. Knee would loudly pop,lock,and throw me forward when I was walking. And I'd have bad burn and spazims.

So I ask for help. Ski girl Jamie helped me. They found me another doctor who did revisions. I delt with the pain and did normal stuff. But it took tole on me. But I went to the apt. I had just films. Cause I was scared to ask doc. Cause his staff alsways said they could not get them.

So he the new doc did X-rays he came in said Angel your knee is bad. It's lose. You have track issue. Could be faulty hardware. And all kind other stuff. He said more. But I can't remember. But it may been in different order. But the one thing I remember is he said its not gliding over like it should. Which it did roll.
((((SEE VIDEO IN MY THREAD))))

So I Was scared. He set and talked to me. Said I will take your case. But you have to start over. Meaning Meds with me,pt here and more
X-rays and testing. But I will tell you there is a waiting list. And it was 3-6 months. Cause he would have to went back through ins and got it approved. And I could not wait that long.


So that scares me. I went to my reg os. He was aware of the issue. He told me swelling amoung other things early on. But that return apt was different. Before he came in there was a few students who was in the room. And a doc whom he was having work for him. Ok so they proceed with examination. And was shocked at the pop.

Just move knee forward and backward. And loud lock and pop and the knew I was in pain. They went out to talk with him. And I could see look. So he got a X-ray. And it like killer me. They lay me on my belly and push leg up. Oh oh o was in tears. So he saw And they help me off table.

So went back in room and waited. Students and him came in room. They said we never saw this. He was talking and typing. And he said there is a problem. I said before we get started. I had a friend to help me get second opinion. (But was this sight) He was shocked. And he said what did they say. I said bad implant,lose implant,knee not glide..etc.

And he said I will be back. He came back in and said yes there is a problem. And I have contacted the ins for emergency convention. Which is revision. March 2 Since then I have been found well really Well. I'm not where I want to be. But he is happy... He was real apologetic to me. But the staff he had in that room had never saw a knee do that before.


In all honestly I will never know what caused it. But I was told that I had Femur Patella Tracking disorder. And a few other things. I myself not family nor pt friends don't understand why ins would only approve partial. When entire knee cap was bad. And I had many scopes and unsuccessful shot attempts. But he did code for full and denied. So to get right side right knee he did partial. But fast left side of right was all messed up after a very short time.


. I went through a few docs here. Once doc office is closed off call your Fourced to suffer or see a another doc. And once you do all records is send to them... So it's a mess they all are at the same hospital and other hospital but there not hired by the hospital. There prvt docs who rent the spaces. I will never understand that.

Anyway with that being said. This sight had saved my knee. I don't know where j would be. Very smart so getting help. You don't deserve to be in pain. I'm glad this sight helped you get where u can get a change..

You deserve to be pain free and enjoy what the knee have ripped away. Just be honest. And stern. And assertive like Jamie says. Say I know there is a problem. Your not in my day to day life. The problem is causing me not to be able to live life the way I want to. It's putting stress on me and taking away my independence.



Best of luck to you!!! I'm praying for you!!! You can do it. Don't back down!!! You got this. Just think positive. Don't give up... (Hugs)








FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Thanks for all the good wishes. Well, I'm back to square one! I, of course, did NOT see Professor Briggs, but one of his team! However, I'm guessing the outcome would have been the same. He did a further Xray and said that the knee replacement was a good one. He further said that both legs have a degree of valgus, but not an excessive amount (the operated one about 10% and the other about 9%). He acknowledged the pain I experience, but clearly felt that nothing more could be done. He is arranging further 'tests'; a bone scan - something about heat or hot in the site and then said something about isotopes. I've since looked this up and it appears that it may be a way of confirming degenerative osteoarthritis. I can't see the point of having that done frankly. The only way he felt that my pain might be helped 'a little' would be to resurface the patella. Again, I can't really see the point. For these further tests, I would have to go to Stanmore which is a long way from me. As it seems it's only going to confirm what each specialist has said so far, I feel a bit of a fraud and that I should just get on with it. He said that in about 80% of knee replacements recipients are satisfied with results. 20% of them the recipient is not happy with the result - I am evidently one of those. He did a thorough examination and at one point pressed on one side of the knee cap. I nearly jumped through the ceiling, the pain was intense, but although he noted that he didn't explain why that might be. I did ask questions (though not that one!) and did take notes. I really would rather he'd just said 'nothing more to be done' and left it at that. I can't be bothered to have these further tests. Fed up, but not that surprised. I want now to put it behind me and get on with my life - only now I'm disabled and before the RKR I wasn't. My left knee with its arthritis is staying put I can tell you!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry you still don't have answers. I can only imagine your frustration! I'm curious about his comment that 80% of TKR patients are unhappy with their results.....that can't possibly be true!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Whoops, no sorry! You're right, it was 80% were happy and 20% not! I'll now alter that information on my post, thank you for pointing it out!!
 
No worries! I was thinking that I have been very, very lucky indeed! Hope you get answers soon!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Sorry to hear you did not get a helpful option for your TKR. I had a bone scan it confirmed that there was a lot of inflammation in my knee.
Did the x ray of your kneecap show arthritis?
My knee is off by 5 degrees, I have put a lot of effort in to accommodate that 5 degrees, it is so frustrating.
 
Oh @Judlepip I was so hoping you'd get a good result. The photos of your knees that we have all seen on here are never right. You are no fraud. Definitely not. I would suggest you leave things to settle down, have a word with @Josephine and see what she thinks/suggests. There has to be something. You were walking considerable distances at one point which makes me wonder why you lost your rom and mobility. There has to be a reason. I pray a solution can be found for you xxx

I learnt this year that if a letter says Eg Prof Briggs or a member of his team, that it's best to ring up and confirm who your appointment is with, if it's not the one you wanted, then you say you are supposed to be seeing Prof. Briggs. It absolutely makes my blood boil the way they play with words and wording lately.

My thoughts are with you. There must be a solution for you. Before my revision on the RTKR the end of last September I could barely walk 20/30 yards without excruciating pain. It was awful, such a low point. I thought I was going to be stuck like that the rest of my life. The revision and everything did the trick eventually x

Please take care
Love Ann xxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry you did not get answers. Praying for you..


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
I had a partial in Dec. I did fine for a while. Then it start pop lock and moving. I was in agony. But I had revision in March and I'm doing better. Not where I want to be. Each day is better. I'm praying for answers. May God be with you. There is hope. U just have keep searching. Xxxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Thanks all for your kind comments. I just want to ask @Josephine what she would suggest now as my gut feeling is give it up and get on with my life. If you would be so good @Josephine as to read my report above and tell me your thoughts I would be grateful. I can walk, though not as far as I could. My main trouble is sitting down and getting up again and, of course, crouching (as in over a public loo as I don't wish to sit on those!!), crouching is extremely painful. I can bear it, I've put up with it for 18 months now and am at the point of 'why bother'.
 
of course, did NOT see Professor Briggs, but one of his team!
I raised your hopes and it didn't come to pass. I'm so sorry about that and that you didn't get satisfaction there.

However, I should have said that it would be very rare for a patient to get to see Tim as he is a) the professor and they don't commonly do clinics and b) is very busy with research work and education. (For instance right now he is currently involved with a very big government initiative auditing orthopaedics across the UK). Plus his team comprises several consultants and Fellows (these being surgeons who are doing the final year of their orthopaedic training and next step will be consultants themselves). So please don't feel you've been short changed. They're still Stanmore chaps!
only now I'm disabled and before the RKR I wasn't. My left knee with its arthritis is staying put I can tell you!
Well, I hope you get a long life out of it. But you do know that arthritis is a progressive disease and it will be highly likely that ultimately you will figure that even with the risks, surgery will be better.
He said that in about 80% of knee replacements recipients are satisfied with results. 20% of them the recipient is not happy with the result
This deserves better explanation: that 20% (+/-) is made of of various levels of dissatisfaction. This chart is one explanation of it

[Bonesmart.org] Judlepip has Turned a Corner!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom