TKR Jtmav‘s Journey To Two New Knees

Thanks, going to give the bed a try tonight. Just had the staples out and the wound looks very good, no weeping at all. PT said to take it easy today with just some walking and not to stress the wound at all with flexing exercises till tomorrow. They are discharging me to out patient PT on Friday, which is very close 5 mins from the house. I think it will be good psychologically to get out of the house for PT. Grateful for the small steps.
 
Well, briefly, the experiment of trying to sleep back in the bed did not go well. As a side sleeper my knee just wouldn’t quiet down enough to let me fall asleep, so back to the recliner with some ice machine time and I got a few hours. While the staples are gone the pain and stiffness are not much different. Because of all of you I know this is very typical and patience is the best medicine. Back to some stretching and I will sit back and enjoy the snow we are getting today even though I won’t be able to clear it myself as usual. Acceptance is, to me, a way to keep anxiety and worry at bay. A couple of sayings I find helpful “How important is it?” and “This too shall pass”. Stay strong and thanks to all my tour guides.
 
Sorry it didn't go so well to sleep in the bed but it's good you tried it so you know! I'm normally a side sleeper but I can sleep just fine on my back thank goodness. I've sometimes "practiced" sleeping on my side in the bed during the day and I can't get comfortable enough.

Congrats on getting out the staples and the transition to outpatient PT. Getting out of the house is great and it definitely lifts your spirits!
 
Well, briefly, the experiment of trying to sleep back in the bed did not go well.
I wasn't a back sleeper myself, until I felt forced to be early into recovery. I've typed on this forum many tines that a godsend for me was pillows. Yes, bed pillows! Multiples in varying degrees of firmness.

I pretty much surrounded myself with them, kind of like a pillow fort. :wink: It was a comfort to have them close to rest an arm or leg on. Early on it also made me feel swaddled, silly sounding I know, but who doesn't like comfort?!! Whatever works. I don't know if it will work for you, but if you have extra bed pillows around the house, gather them up and give it a try. I also have used (still do) an inexpensive Body Pillow form Target, approx $10 It is something that initially helped when I began side sleeping again as it ran the entire length between knees / legs, keeping my legs comfortable without one hip dropping.

If you're able, I wonder if you can fall asleep with a large ice pack over any area that's hurting? I was also able to do this and would change it midway through the night on my bathroom run.

I like your thoughts on "how important is it" and "this too shall pass"

Have a great day, Jtmav!
 
Hi Layla, thanks for the suggestions. I have been using 3 bed pillows in a stair step fashion for elevation and it’s worked quite well. I think my stumbling block are, first I need the cold still and that’s not easy since our bedroom is on the second floor, and second I think it’s still pretty early days, 12 since surgery so like I said patience seems to be the best medicine right now. The recliner with the ice machine seems to afford me at least a few hours of sleep and maybe in a short time when the pain abates a bit I can head back upstairs. So appreciate your help.
 
Insomnia is a real bummer for many of us in the initial weeks after knee surgery. Definitely sleep whenever (and wherever it's safe and comfy!)

Icing, elevating, napping.... All help, but for some of us it was endangering our mental health. Before it gets there consider some nonprescription remedies....

If you're lactose tolerant, a glass of warm milk! If you're not diabetic, a teeny bit of honey makes it even more comforting... plus milk is high in magnesium! Helps us relax!

If you aren't a milk drinker, or want an easier way to, an evening magnesium supplement has been very helpful for some members.

OTC diphenhydramine, an antihistamine also used as a sleep aid (Benadryl) because it makes you drowsy; it's also included in some cold, flu, etc "nighttime" combination meds.

Low dose melatonin, sustained release - not for long term use but I have used for a week at a time without ill effect. It should be taken an hour to hour and a half before going to bed, and during that time stay in a dimly lit area to allow this hormone to activate.

Valerian root - an herbal remedy, it can be taken in capsule form but that dose might be high compared to my preference, herbal "sleep" blends that include a smaller dose of valerian and make me pleasantly drowsy. Plus the other tea flavorings make it nice tasting! Celestial Seasonings and Traditional Medicinals sell teabags by the box. Their sleep blends without valerian have never ever made me sleepy.

What finally worked for me was a combo of sleep tea AND melatonin.

Be aware: even benign herbals and supplements can interact with your routine or post op prescription meds, either making their effects weaker or stronger. If you're on meds you may want to check with your doctor or pharmacist, or even check online for interactions.
 
Thanks Mendogal, all good suggestions. I have been a melatonin user over the years and that has been my addition of choice. Without repeating myself, time I think will solve the problem, hopefully. Be well.
 
I had to sleep on my back for a while but about once a week I would try it on my side until I was able to do it. I still need a pillow between my knees, and I usually have to start out with my operated leg on top. I will switch to the other side at some point and barely wake up enough to redo the pilliw.
 
Good Morning Jtmav,
I slept comfortably on a recliner for a few weeks. Sleep will regulate soon.

My go to is Magnesium. I choose the Glycinate form as I find it easiest on the intestinal tract.

Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)


An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Wishing you a great Wednesday!
 
Sleep was pretty fleeting last night and the pain this morning is certainly more pronounced. I find the compression stocking to be helpful and I have been taking the 5mg oxy every 4 hours as instructed, and of course ice and elevation. The in hospital OT thought I didn’t need the walker and have been using crutches instead, which I find ok. In home PT is visiting this morning. See how day 2 goes.
best to all
I had a walker, used it to walk out of the hospital...maybe used it for 2-3 days...Went to the Doc about 4days post op...and brought my cain. He kinda encouraged me to just walk...and he was adamant I put weight down...lift knee up---don't walk stiff knee, like we are inclined to do. I didn't use the cain after about 4days--pain in the butt...lol....just trusted, and took slow but STRAIGHT steps.
 
Good Morning Jtmav,
I slept comfortably on a recliner for a few weeks. Sleep will regulate soon.

My go to is Magnesium. I choose the Glycinate form as I find it easiest on the intestinal tract.

Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)


An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Wishing you a great Wednesday!
Thanks Layla, very interesting reading you attached. I think I may give that a go.

I feel like I had slight improvement yesterday. Just a little less pain and some incremental improvement in my ROM. Today is my last in home PT and have been discharged to Out Patient starting Friday. Put me through the paces and I measured at 99 degrees of flex, which he was pleased with. I have no reference and, of course, we are all different but because of all of you I am approaching this next phase with rehabbing the surgery and know that any muscular rehab is way down the road. In fact my inhome PT was very emphatic about that don’t push the pain thinking you’re gaining when you may be losing, listen to your knee. Appreciate all of you. Stay strong
 
Your in home PT offered excellent advice!
 
You're doing well, Jtmav. Slight improvement, less pain is progress. I'm happy to hear it.
Good luck with your out patient PT. I hope it works well for you, just remember who's boss. :wink:
@Jtmav
 
Thanks for the support, goes a long way.
Glad you seem to be doing well Jim. Good luck with your first outpatient PT tomorrow. I, too, have PT tomorrow. Mine has been outpatient all along. I do notice it is easier getting in and out of my truck each time. Improvement, no matter how small is still improvement. You got this sir!
 
Thanks for the support, goes a long way.
Glad you seem to be doing well Jim. Good luck with your first outpatient PT tomorrow. I, too, have PT tomorrow. Mine has been outpatient all along. I do notice it is easier getting in and out of my truck each time. Improvement, no matter how small is still improvement. You got this sir!
Baby steps for sure. Haven’t been out of the house in a couple of weeks so I am looking forward to the trip which is all of 10 mins away We are getting there, my friend. Thanks for the encouragement and stay strong!
 
Well back from my first outpatient PT and it was much more rigorous than my home visits. Nothing crazy but certainly some of the stretches I stopped when I hit a pain threshold that I thought was enough. My PT was fine with it because the ROM was good for the first time back. Even sat on the stationary bike but just back and forth not full rotation. I don’t think I’m that far from a full rotation and like you’ve all taught me patience. Ice and elevation and I’m guessing a nap is in my future. Enjoy the day all!
 
Well back from my first outpatient PT and it was much more rigorous than my home visits. Nothing crazy but certainly some of the stretches I stopped when I hit a pain threshold that I thought was enough. My PT was fine with it because the ROM was good for the first time back. Even sat on the stationary bike but just back and forth not full rotation. I don’t think I’m that far from a full rotation and like you’ve all taught me patience. Ice and elevation and I’m guessing a nap is in my future. Enjoy the day all!
Excellent news! I’m glad your first outside PT went well Jim. Ice, elevation and of course a nap is always a good plan. I’m off to my PT appointment now. You got this sir!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom