Guest viewing is limited

TKR Jtmav‘s Journey To Two New Knees

Right knee scheduled for April 25 so I think it will be more like early summer for me, but cant wait. Took my bike to my local bike shop and had a full tune up done and it’s just sitting there waiting for me. I’m hoping to get on a stationary bike at some point soon, let both my body and PT guide that. I have learned here that recovering from surgery is a lot different than from an injury or over use issues. Great to meet you!
 
Jim here, greater Boston area. Great to meet you as well. See how our parallel journeys unfold, though I have a few years on you. Stay strong
Nice to meet you Jim! We reside in the cornfields of Iowa, about an hour out of our capital city Des Moines. I am fortunate my local hospital could provide this care. It is a little over a mile away from the house.
 
Beautiful country out your way, pretty lucky here in Boston to have some excellent surgeons and I had great confidence in my doctor. Time to rest and recover and February in New England should be a good month to get started. Keep in touch, curious to see how you do over the next few months.
stay strong
 
Much better sleep last night, woke up twice to take meds and a visit to the bathroom. Feel rested but also feel a bit more discomfort this morning. Looking for a shower in a little while. All in all grateful to be home and on the right side of the surgery.
 
Good morning sir! I am glad you got a good nights sleep. It is often overlooked, but sleeping is vital to our recovery! you are ABSOLUTELY correct, you are on the right side of the surgery. You got this Jim, enjoy your day of recovery! A friend of mine often tells me a verse from the Bible. It isn’t an exact quote, but here it is…. “This too, shall pass”.
 
@Jtmav, Be prepared for that shower wearing you out, and you will be needing a nap afterward, more than likely. But boy, will it feel so good! Do you have a shower chair? I had to use one during my first 2-3 showers. Putting that thing up and out of the bathroom was a cause for celebration! It's the little things that can bring so much pleasure! Have a blessed and low-pain day!
 
first of all thanks to both of you for your responses. ”This to shall pass” is one of my favorites. Yes I do have a shower chair so I’m good to go. Well done Jake on the water bottles. Sun is finally out here in New England after about 10 days of either rain or just cloudy dreary weather so that’s uplifting for sure Actually in the big scheme of things a shower and a nap sounds perfect!
stay strong

 
If you’re sleeping well you’re already ahead of the game. Many of us spent the first few weeks sleep deprived along with everything else. At this point be kind to yourself and celebrate the small milestones. Early on you will notice improvements every week. Hopefully you’ll be a little better every day.
 
I was just saying to my wife that perhaps my biggest challenge will be patience. With a second TKR at the end of April most of this year will be dedicated towards my recovery. Patience, while being a virtue, is a trait that is foreign to me. Grateful so far with how these very early days are unfolding and for all the support here.
 
Sun is finally out here in New England after about 10 days of either rain or just cloudy dreary weather so that’s uplifting for sure Actually in the big scheme of things a shower and a nap sounds perfect!
Sunshine, a shower and a nap. All three...wonderful! I hope today is a good one. :SUNsmile: :fingersx:
If you have your Right TKR scheduled and want to share the date, we'll add it to your signature.
Lots of comfort to you!
 
Right TKR is scheduled for April 25. Shower felt great and was pretty easy with a shower chair and a handheld shower head. I am feeling a little tired after that like I was warned here. What a wonderful resource this place is. I can tell already how helpful you all will be as I progress in my recovery. Thanks to all of you.
 
Thanks for the April date. Also, thanks for your kind words in regard to the forum. Stick with us and we'll cheer you on for as long as you'll have us. :yay:
Happy Saturday! :)
@Jtmav
 
I never realized how good a shower could feel until taking one after surgery following a few days of doing what I could with a washcloth. I have always preferred a hot bath to a shower but can now appreciate both. Although I have now taken 3 actual baths since latest surgery! But only if I am up for it, otherwise I stick with the shower for now.
 
I remember my first day home. By 10 the home health nurse came by and at 2 the physical therapist showed up. Besides some exercises to test what I have for strength, etc, he had me up and walking. Maybe 2 laps around the house (off course using the walker). He then had me sit and he placed a sheet of paper towel under my foot and asked me to lift my foot. No way Jose!!! I was more amazed than anything. I did a few slides and I was done. It takes work for the recovery. Slow and steady!!! Good Luck!!! I bought a folding massage table and stationary bike on Amazon $99 ea. Great tools but only when you are ready for that activity. Also for pain - ICE ICE ICE. I bought a machine that circulates a nice comforting chill around the surgery site!!! I hooked up an on/off switch at the plug so I could get a chill anytime of the day. Use a mix of ice, water, and frozen water bottles.
 
They sent me home with an ice machine that I’ve been using non stop almost. My PT left some exercises and I’ve done some but only till there is a little pain. I’ve learned here that pain is NO gain with surgery recovery. It’s only day 2 so I’m leaning into rest, ice and meds. Pain is more pronounced today for sure, but manageable.
 
It’s only day 2 so I’m leaning into rest, ice and meds.
That's the ticket!

I think we learn a lot during our first recovery that makes #2 a little easier!
 
They sent me home with an ice machine that I’ve been using non stop almost. My PT left some exercises and I’ve done some but only till there is a little pain. I’ve learned here that pain is NO gain with surgery recovery. It’s only day 2 so I’m leaning into rest, ice and meds. Pain is more pronounced today for sure, but manageable.
Hey Jim, I have one of those little jems too. It likes frozen water bottles, or I should say I do! I have been running mine nearly nonstop since surgery on Tuesday. I gotta figure out a name for it. Polar cube sounds cold.:snork: That is me shivering after fresh water bottles. I’ll come up with something and post it. Glad you got a shower in. I was going to, but never got around to it. Took a nap instead. You got this sir!
 
Tried to nap but no luck, maybe I’ll sleep tonight. My cube is made by a company named Breg. Seems to be a good little device, my wife has been diligent about making sure it’s running cold all the time. Blessed to have her here with me, don’t know how anyone does this solo. Stay strong
 
If it's Bregg you can freeze and use four 16 ounce bottles of water instead of continually getting fresh ice.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom