TKR Jtmav‘s Journey To Two New Knees

thanks, just what Ive been doing. Works well
stay strong
 
Not much sleep last night and the pain was more pronounced overnight. Not much more to add, just trying to get through these early challenging days. Stay strong
 
For me the first week was by far the worst, and every week I was doing a little or a lot better. Hang in there and take your meds on schedule so you stay ahead of the pain. At the beginning if you get behind there is less of it in your system and it takes a good while to get back where you were.
 
I’ve been like clockwork with the Oxy because my Dr gave me the same advice as you, don’t chase the pain. They gave me 42 5mg pills which is a weeks worth. I hope by the end of it the Aleve, Tylenol and ice will be enough. Time will tell I guess.
 
My advice is to keep your alleve and tylenol on a scheduled basis as well, because you want the blood levels therapeutic - especially as you taper off or stop the oxy.
If it looks like you might benefit from additional oxy, even if just for "as needed" or tapering off of, call your OS or primary care provider tomorrow. Many members do so; it shouldn't be considered an unusual request.
 
Not much sleep last night and the pain was more pronounced overnight. Not much more to add, just trying to get through these early challenging days. Stay strong
It will pass Jim! I haven’t done my post for the day yet, but I like to follow you! Make up for your lack of sleep with good naps during the day, which is a double edged sword too. I’ve always believed we got just so many hours of sleep in a day. If we use our hours of sleep during the day, of course we won’t sleep at night. I’m telling me that at the same time I’m explaining to you. Hang in their sir!
 
Thanks Janet and Jake, I have been taking my meds, including the Aleve and Tylenol, in a pretty regimented schedule thanks to my wife. Pain seems to come in waves and for the most part pretty manageable. Not sure if I will need a refill on the Oxy still have 4 days worth and I’ll see how I’m doing at the end of 6 days. They prescribed 7 days worth.
My advice is to keep your alleve and tylenol on a scheduled basis as well, because you want the blood levels therapeutic - especially as you taper off or stop the oxy.
If it looks like you might benefit from additional oxy, even if just for "as needed" or tapering off of, call your OS or primary care provider tomorrow. Many members do so; it shouldn't be considered an unusual request.
 
I’ve always believed we got just so many hours of sleep in a day. If we use our hours of sleep during the day, of course we won’t sleep at night.
We have found this to not be true after this major surgery. You need to get all the sleep you can, when and where you can. While you are sleeping, your body can concentrate more on its healing.
 
Was able to sleep a couple of hours, wake up and go back to sleep for a couple of more. I think I slept a good 5-6 hours which was an improvement over the night before. PT coming in a bit, I’ll catch up with you all later.
 
I did that for weeks after surgery. As a side sleeper, I wasn’t able to sleep really well until I got to the point where I could sleep on my side without a lot of knee pain. I’m not good at naps so I went around sleep deprived for a good while. But the first night I slept all night I felt so much better! Another milestone to look forward to.

In the early days when I couldn’t sleep all night, I would read this forum and/or play a game on iPad, read a book, whatever, for an hour or so until I felt like I was ready to sleep some more. Since I did the same on knee #1, I just thought of it as my post surgery sleep schedule.
 
So Raylo I had my first session with my visiting PT. Turns out the guy is 28 and when he had just graduated from undergrad he cycled cross country, Virginia to Oregon. Took him 3 months he had a van with some support equipment and people. Did it for charity. 70 miles a day. Yikes! Good to be young. Think I lucked out with this guy, talked cycling as much as recovery.
You must be my brother from another mother. Serious cyclist, mostly road, and in decent shape prior to surgery. Also didn't need walker and had 75degrees on day 1 home PT. Good luck with your recovery. The ground hog says early spring so get well and back on the bike.


They only gave me crutches so too late for that. I’m doing ok with the crutches. I’m lucky to have my wife helping me with ice, food and meds. PT came today, had 85 degree bend in the new knee, thought that was good after one day. Also my vitals were all good. I’ve been a road cyclist for awhile and I worked pretty hard to get into decent shape before the surgery, which she said will be helpful going down this path.
 
I was probably in good enough shape to do that when I was 50 and doing 5,000-6,000 hard miles a year, but work... and that didn't really appeal to me. Now? Forget about it. LOL. We had one fellow club member back then who started out on a similar journey, but west to east, unsupported and video blogging along the way, but gave it up after about 2 weeks. Not sure if it was the headwinds in the Southwest or just the boredom and isolation.

It's really nice you have a cyclist as a PT tech. He might understand why the 8 minutes warmup on the recumbent bike just aren't enough. And why you might use a home indoor trainer for rehab. There are several other threads on this subject here and there are several active members and staff who are cyclists. Look in the "Social" area for the "Cycling Club" forum.

So Raylo I had my first session with my visiting PT. Turns out the guy is 28 and when he had just graduated from undergrad he cycled cross country, Virginia to Oregon. Took him 3 months he had a van with some support equipment and people. Did it for charity. 70 miles a day. Yikes! Good to be young. Think I lucked out with this guy, talked cycling as much as recovery.
 
6th Day since my surgery and I am going to try and taper off the Oxy over the next couple of days. Going 5 hours between doses today and tomorrow 6 hours. Pain has been manageable and sleep, while a long way from perfect, is getting better. Still sleeping in the recliner in my family room. Plenty sore and I noticed a bit of bruising as well. Been doing some very gentle PT stretches and they are challenging.
 
am going to try and taper off the Oxy over the next couple of days.
You are very early days in this recovery and pain control is important to your body's ability to heal. Don't be in a rush to cut back on any pain medication.

BoneSmart recommends staying ahead of the pain by taking your medications on a consistent schedule.
Check this article for more about why: The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
 
Appreciate the comment, just responding to my own Doctors advice. If I find that the pain becomes more challenging I will reach out to them and they have been very good responding back within minutes. I’m hoping to manage the pain without narcotics after a week. If I can’t do it I’m sure they will extend my script for the Oxycodone.
 
Appreciate the comment, just responding to my own Doctors advice. If I find that the pain becomes more challenging I will reach out to them and they have been very good responding back within minutes. I’m hoping to manage the pain without narcotics after a week. If I can’t do it I’m sure they will extend my script for the Oxycodone.
Definitely go with the doctor but to give you an idea of what I did (also doctor's advice for me) - he had me on oxy(5mg) every 6 hours the first week (had to do 4 hours a couple times); every 8 hours the second week and every 12 hours the 3rd week. I deviated here and there and didn't always need them overnight - I know many need them to sleep. I was mostly off of them by the third week but this past weekend I had to take half a pill a few times after really overdoing some PT. It was suggested here to me it is good to have a few left over in case you need them and I needed them!

I also didn't realize how bruised I was because most of it was on the back of my leg and I just didn't get a good look at it until almost a week in. In fact I posted here I wasn't very bruised - hahaha! The back of my leg was purple! The bruise on my shin was one of the most bothersome - not sure why that spot got bruised (I did not have robotic).

Sounds like you are doing great and it's very cool you got a cyclist as a PT. That will make the time fly!
 
I notice little bit of bruising yesterday for the first time. My Doc gave me a script for a weeks worth of 5 mg Oxy and have been taking 1 every four hours religiously but today I went 5 hours without an issue. I have been staying ahead of the pain and hope the tapering will work. Appreciate you sharing your experience.
 
Just noticed you're going back for more in a couple months. You're a brave one!
I don't think I could do it...that soon anyway, but hey, one recovery will roll into the other and you'll be done!
Best Wishes! Hope the rest of your week is good. :wave:
@Jtmav
 
Hey jim, you are slipping a second TKR in on us? Bravo for the decision. I got a steroid shot while in the OR for my original equipment knee. Holding up like a champ, but in a quiet room, it sounds terrible. I’m not quite ready to set a date, but deep down do realize a second one is in my future! I’m wondering if we get a discount on the second one within a certain period? Just my attempt to be funny at a not so funny topic. Keep your eye on the prize sir, you can do this! Bless you!
 
To Layla and Jake, both of the consults I got before going ahead with this said , and proved in X-rays, that both needed to be replaced. The Dr I eventually chose thought that 3 month separation between surgeries would be about right for me given my current state of health. Now a lot can change in 3 months but I am hopeful I can stay on this schedule. I don’t know if the Chinese calendar has a “Year of the knee” but that’s what 2024 will be for me. Hopeful by mid summer I will be in decent shape with the balance of the year to get stronger. We are all different, as this forum so actually shows, so I am working on staying present and being grateful that I am making progress. Hey best way I could keep the ice machine! :ok:
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom