TKR Jtmav‘s Journey To Two New Knees

Your doc is generous, I only got 28. Having had ACL reconstruction I kind of knew that sleeping gets to be a real problem so I weaned myself off the oxy during the day after 3 days in order to hold the rest back so I'd have 1 or 2 at night for awhile when needed. I was able to get that renewed one time and those came in handy at night once or twice a week for a long time.

I’ve been like clockwork with the Oxy because my Dr gave me the same advice as you, don’t chase the pain. They gave me 42 5mg pills which is a weeks worth. I hope by the end of it the Aleve, Tylenol and ice will be enough. Time will tell I guess.
 
Seems like I’m on an every other night decent sleep pattern. Last night being an off night. Pain is manageable even on a 6 hour oxy schedule. PT and a shower this morning so I’ll see how things look today. Stay strong
 
“Hey best way I could keep the ice machine”. Howdy Jim, how very true. I was wondering how well the machine could keep an “adult beverage” cold once its initial mission was completed. I think it would be fabulous. Anything that can keep me chilled for 4-5 hours can’t be all bad right? :ice: :ice: :ice: Have a great shower and PT session. We can catch up later on!
 
Seems like I’m on an every other night decent sleep pattern.
Well that's too bad that didn't get much rest last night, but thankfully sleep does regulate after a time.

The three month time span between surgeries is a common one. I recall a member on the hip side had both hips replaced only one week apart. I can't even imagine that!
I don’t know if the Chinese calendar has a “Year of the knee” but that’s what 2024 will be for me.
Hahahaha!
Have a good PT session. Take it slow and easy for the best result.
 
I‘m mystified that people do both knees at once, my Doc won’t do that. I don't know how you get around except maybe a wheelchair, never mind PT. Well shower always feels great afterwards now just waiting on PT. I’ll be back later, thanks for checking on me, Lord knows I need plenty of supervision!
 
I‘m mystified that people do both knees at once, my Doc won’t do that. I don't know how you get around except maybe a wheelchair, never mind PT. Well shower always feels great afterwards now just waiting on PT. I’ll be back later, thanks for checking on me, Lord knows I need plenty of supervision!
My surgeon originally suggested doing a bilateral but had an opening on his schedule for one so I took it. Otherwise I was planning bilateral. I hope to get the other one done this summer. Ideally like June - I want to be able to go back to work for a bit and get things caught up before heading out on leave again. It is for sure the "Year of the Knees" for us we hope!

There is a bilateral TKR group that I followed elsewhere and it is really interesting. Most people are super happy with their choice. I think many groups the most prolific posters are ones who are having issues (which makes sense) but the bilateral group was different as it's a smaller group so I think perhaps the preponderance of good outcomes. My left leg is a problem while I recover from the right (a curse and a blessing let's say) so...I can see the appeal of getting it over with and both sides recover together.

I bought my ice machine and I have to say I really liked it in the summer when it was HOT out and the cold felt so good - like the opposite of a heating pad in the winter - haha! Hope PT goes well!
 
PT just left, added some new standing exercises. Measured my knee function at 95 degrees, which he said is very good after just six days, his words not mine. I wouldn’t know, he said the goal for most people is 90 degrees after 4 weeks but again I have no knowledge about this except for the little I’ve learned here so far. Bandage comes off Friday and the staples next week, probably Tuesday. He didn’t see any reason I won’t be discharged to out Patient a week from Friday. All good, feeling tired at this point. Stay strong.
 
Wow, 95 degrees for 6 days, with your bandage and staples still in, is outstanding. Most OSs expect 90 degrees at 6 weeks. You are way above that!
 
Like I said I’m not versed in any of this but I knew many here would be so I am happy with that, not trying to be a jerk about it, we all have our own path to navigate. He said the surgeon did a very good job as well. Appreciate your perspective.
 
One week today and I am hopeful about my progress. PT was here yesterday and added 4 new standing exercises which aren’t too bad. He measured my flexion(sp) at 95 degrees and said that was good for post 6 days after surgery. Slept a bit better, still in the recliner. I am weaning off the Oxycodone now every 6 hours with no added pain, will go to every 8 hours tomorrow. Ice and elevation is constant when I am at rest. Bandage comes off tomorrow and I ordered an additional pair of compression stockings coming tomorrow as well.
That’s about it from here, feeling grateful. Thanks to all of you who have been supportive and sharing their experiences.
 
Hey Jim, you are rocking it sir! I am so happy for you. I bet you will be relieved when the staples come out, although probably not looking forward to it. What is funny is besides my initial measurements on my first visit, they haven’t measured me. I’m okay with that. I got the standing exercises to do as well. You are correct, they are not too bad to do. I still am having some difficulty with raising my leg. Ironic but with just a tad bit of help, the muscle fires and I can do it. I’m sure that will improve with time. Enjoy your day sir!
 
Thanks, Jake. You’re right about the staples. My PT is a young guy and he isn’t ready for that yet so his supervisor, who I met, will do that next week. I’ve heard both sides of the coin, no big deal and not a lot of fun. Time will tell. Sounds like you're on your way as well This forum is so helpful and experiences like this are better shared than doing it alone. Stay strong and thanks for the help!
 
I’ve never had staples but I think if I did I’d be happy to get them out. Let us know how it goes. I’m surprised that PT is doing that vs the doctor.
 
8 days since surgery, PT came and removed the dressing, thought the wound looked good very little weeping. If the new dressing is dry in the morning than that’s it for bandages. Staples come out Monday, thought the swelling was fairly minimal and we did a couple of new stretches. Working on switching to one crutch over the weekend. All in all he was encouraging.
 
New here so I’ll be brief. The old 2 ears and 1 mouth so I will listen for awhile. I am literally in the recovery room waiting my wife to pick me up. Just had TKR on my left knee and will read as much as I can to the get the does and don’t straight. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Jtmav
Only 12 days into this and the plan is to have the staples removed this morning. My question is:
Is there a general range as to how long I should sleep with either the leg elevated and/or attached to the ice machine or both? It would be pretty difficult to haul the ice machine and the task to keep it going up to the bedroom. I have been sleeping in a recliner with the leg elevated and attached to the ice machine since I came home, not awful but not great either. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance for any advice
 
Is there a general range as to how long I should sleep with either the leg elevated and/or attached to the ice machine or both?
My doctor never told me to use an ice machine or ice that much - so not suggesting you go against your doctor's orders but... the ice machine bothered me to sleep with so I stopped using it at night after 10 days or so. I think some people cannot sleep without it and some can't sleep with it. Probably the most important thing is that you can get a good night's sleep so whatever that takes.

I had 42 staples and they weren't that bad coming out. A bit like a pinch and it gets tiring cause there's so many. The person who did mine wasn't as experienced either, but she did fine. It's well worth the pinches cause my knee felt SO much better with those out! Best of luck with your appointment today!
 
Last edited:
Thank you for your quick response. I’m going to check with my PT this morning about elevation and ice, get their view. Actually my PT is bringing his supervisor who has removed a lot more staples than he, I appreciate that.
 
New here so I’ll be brief. The old 2 ears and 1 mouth so I will listen for awhile. I am literally in the recovery room waiting my wife to pick me up. Just had TKR on my left knee and will read as much as I can to the get the does and don’t straight. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Jtmav
Only 12 days into this and the plan is to have the staples removed this morning. My question is:
Is there a general range as to how long I should sleep with either the leg elevated and/or attached to the ice machine or both? It would be pretty difficult to haul the ice machine and the task to keep it going up to the bedroom. I have been sleeping in a recliner with the leg elevated and attached to the ice machine since I came home, not awful but not great either. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance for any advice
Hello there,
It is a process for bedtime for sure. From my previous experience, water goes to ground, especially when accidentally tipped. :snork: From my neck surgery, I learned of clay ice packs. They are crazy cold and work well. When my bride goes to bed, she takes the polar cube with water and places it next to the bed, all ready forwarer bottles. I grab my trusty ice pack and proceed to freeze until it is bed time. When I go to bed, I place it back in the freezer, grab my water bottles and head to bed. When I get up, she brings it back to the living room for me. Works well, but tends to be a process for sure. Someone mentioned the polar cube with expandable handle and wheels. If I knew one existed, I would have made that upgraded purchase. Here is what the clay ice pack looks like on Amazon. Not cheap, nor for the weak hearted. This thing will freeze you!
[Bonesmart.org] Jtmav‘s Journey To Two New Knees
 
Thanks Jake, I’m still unsure if I can sleep in bed on my back with the leg elevated for any long length of time and ice will be challenging there as well. I am a side also. Appreciate your help.
 
I started out with elevating my legs at night but when it became too uncomfortable I lowered them back down. Mine were never super high just a little. I realized late in the game I had never really done toes above nose, more like legs up in the easy chair maybe with one pillow. I think the more swelling you have the more important to elevate but mine was OK with what I did. It took me a while before I could sleep on my side but as soon as I could I did, and you can’t elevate at night after that.

I have a Polar Ice machine with a pad and timer, and I could wrap it around my knee whether on my side of back. Typically I would put it on and sleep with it for an hour or two then toss it on the floor when it became uncomfortable. Preferably turning it off but sometimes I pretty much did it in my sleep. If I woke up and knee hurt I would put it back on. I have the larger size and ice lasts easily all night. At first I did this fiddly thing using a kitchen towel between my leg and the cold, but then I just started sleeping in these thin yoga pants so I could just strap the ice on without difficulty.

Bottom line is when it comes to sleep you have to figure out what works for you. I don’t think there’s a “right” way that would work for all.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom