TKR Jtmav‘s Journey To Two New Knees

Today marks the one year anniversary of both my first of two knee replacements and my first post to this great community. Hard to believe how fast a year can go by but I think I have had a fairly typical and successful recovery. I have continued to work on my recovery with both regular cycling, now indoors because of weather, and stretching exercises. Not much I can’t do better and with less pain since the surgeries. I still am working on ROM on both knees but I am able to do a lot more walking and just do day to day tasks considerably easier. Certainly still have stiffness after sitting for a while and kneeling isn’t on the menu yet but all in all I am satisfied with my decision to do both knees fairly close together. I was blessed to have a great surgeon and his team has been terrific. Most of all I was so fortunate to have found all of you, without whom I don’t know how this journey would have progressed. The advice and support here has been critical to easing both my physical and especially my mental challenges. Thanks to all of you who have helped me and to those just starting out it will get better. Stay well all.
 
Last edited:
Aww, wonderful news from a great guy, Jtmav.
HAPPY ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY!

I love that you're doing so well, with no regrets and I'm sure your ROM will continue to improve as noted here by many beyond their first year post op.

Thanks so much for sharing your recoveries with all and also for your kind sentiments in regard to BoneSmart. Your thoughtful contributions here are much appreciated.

Wishing you happiness in all you do. I hope 2025 is one of your best. :)
@Jtmav
 
Well here I am at the one year mark as of yesterday for my right and second knee replacement. Very happy with both the results and the advice to do both knees 3 months apart. Celebrated my TKR anniversary with a twenty mile bike ride, both knees performing well.
If you’re just beginning the journey take heart that, over time and with a good commitment to do the work, you too should be happy with the decision you made. One guarantee, and I don’t make them lightly, listen to the wisdom of the regulars here. They were critical to getting me through the tough times and were always kind and supportive. Thanks again to all of you. Be well and stay strong!
 
Happy One Year Anniversary!
It's wonderful to read you're pleased with the results of both TKR's. Thank you for sharing both recoveries with us and for your thoughtful support of others. Your updates have been inspiring and I'm happy you're able to engage in all of the activity you were missing. I hope you have a fantastic Spring 2025!
@Jtmav
 
Thanks, Layla. You’re always so supportive and encouraging. This forum is lucky to have you. Enjoy your Spring as well.
 
Thanks so much for your kind words, it's appreciated.
@Jtmav
 
@Jtmav It’s so wonderful to hear how well you’re doing with your new knees. And we are honored that BoneSmart was able to be part of your successful recovery story. Good news like this is always welcome and it means so much to those of our members who are just beginning their journey.
 
What an uplifting report! It is an encouragement to others coming up behind you. It shows that these surgeries can definitely make your life so much better!
 
Hey BoneSmart friend :wave:
I hope you had a nice Christmas. It looks like you're coming up on two years soon since your Left TKR. Hopefully both knees are working well for you. Let us know next time you stop by...we love updates!
Wishing you all of the best in 2026!
@Jtmav
:happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:
 
So nice to hear from you and next Feb 1 will be 2 years on my left knee. I am very satisfied with the way my recovery has evolved and have been as active as much as I want. Feeling very blessed. I do stop by and see if Jake has popped up again. I will try and post on Feb 1 to hopefully provide some encouragement for those who are at different stages of this experience.
Happy New Year
Jim
 
Thanks for the update! It's great to know you're still doing well. Posting an update on your anniversary as an encouragement to those following behind is a thoughtful gesture. I know I was encouraged by reading of others positive experiences and also realizing I wasn't going to feel normal in just a couple of months.

I would be nice to hear from, Jake. He hasn't posted in a year or stopped by the forum since March 2025. I'll post to his thread with the hope he receives email notifications and he'll respond. It's worth a try. All the best, Jim!
@Jtmav

BoneSmart's annual New Year’s Eve party will take place again this year. Stop by and join us!
 
2 years ago today I had the first of two TKRs, the second coming in April. Layla encouraged me to post an update on my progress, so here goes. I can’t say there is anything about the results that has disappointed me. The challenge is to remember just how difficult things were prior to the surgeries. When I think back at how difficult it was to walk any real distance or negotiate an uneven surface and how today those aren’t really any issue at all. At 74 there are still plenty of challenges but I have been blessed with good health and through most of my life I have been an active person. Was a distance runner for a long time, hence the need for the new knees, and most recently a cyclist. The doctor was confident that 3 months between surgeries should be enough and I am SO glad I listened to him. As most of us would know the recovery from these surgeries can be difficult, ok brutal, and mine were no picnic. By the time the three months passed I was doing pretty well on the new knee and had sufficient recovery and strength to work on the next one. So it was a challenging year and PT was tough but as I sit here now and write this I have nothing but gratefulness for the results. I was also blessed with a wonderful caretaker, my wife, and an exceptional surgeon. I can’t forget the PT who was also very competent. So with that team and my innate stubbornness to get get moving again things got better and today are great. We are planning some active vacations and I am back, weather permitting, to cycling regularly again. My parting thoughts are be patient and kind to yourself, recovery from surgery is different than recovering from an injury, pushing too hard will set you back not forward. And finally, listen to the wisdom that is shared in this wonderful community. Without the education and support from many here my journey would not have gone this well. Thanks to all of you that helped me and to those starting out best of luck, hang in there and God bless you all.
Be well,
Jim
 
Last edited:
Jim, what a wonderful update. You are living proof that there is life after a TKR. After all, you've had two of them! All it takes is patience and enjoying the little successes that come each week or so. Getting back to real life is what all the pain and aggravation is for. Recovery certainly doesn't happen overnight, but it does happen. Most find they are back to normal after a year or so.
 
Happy Two Year Anniversary!
Thanks for sharing such an inspirational update. It's pretty remarkable to find it a challenge to remember just how difficult your limitations were pre-op. Just as giving birth for women, the memory of those labor pains are forgotten once it leads to something worth it. You're now living the "worth it" part and enjoying life. I couldn't be any happier for you! You've been a pleasure to follow and communicate with, jtmav, and I always enjoyed your updates and interactions with, Jake. You've been a supportive BoneSmart member and it is appreciated. I hope you and your wife enjoy the vacations and you'll consider updating again in the future. Reading of your progress will likely provide hope to everyone following in your footsteps.
Wishing you many blessings in 2026! :)
@Jtmav
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom