TKR Jtmav‘s Journey To Two New Knees

some of the stretches I stopped when I hit a pain threshold that I thought was enough
That the perfect approach to physical therapy. Listen to the knee!
 
Quick update, my youngest son visited today with two of my grandsons. His youngest is 10 months and just a pure blessing, the oldest is 6 and was a bit perplexed by my crutch. While I was a bit tired when they left it was a great day. I have PT later today. The weather here looks good for a bit, no snow. Hoping to be able to do a full rotation on a stationary bike soon, will keep you all posted. Stay strong

[Bonesmart.org] Jtmav‘s Journey To Two New Knees
 
Last edited:
He is precious, and grandpa ain't bad either! It is amazing how much our family can lift us up. It's tiring, yes, but also so rewarding! Take it easy at PT today, you have already had a workout!
 
Just back from PT, worked me pretty well but nothing I couldn’t handle At the end she wanted to push my knee a bit further than I could flex it and I said only till I say stop which she did and asked me if I could hold it for a few seconds which I did but it wasn’t too painful. I wonder if the overwhelming majority of PTs cling onto the belief that the window to maximum ROM is shorter than it really is. After all the education so many of you have shared with me I am confident that my PT knows I am going to pushback against anything that I feel is working against my recovery, she may not agree or like it, but in the end it’s my knee, after all she’s never had a TKR. Stay strong.
 
Love the photo of your family visit. A spirit lifter for sure.
Keep advocating for your sane limits!
 
Aww, cute baby...gets his looks from gramps! I love his chubby little fingers.
Those grand babies are such a joy, I'll bet it made your day!
I wonder if the overwhelming majority of PTs cling onto the belief that the window to maximum ROM is shorter than it really is. After all the education so many of you have shared with me I am confident that my PT knows I am going to pushback against anything that I feel is working against my recovery, she may not agree or like it, but in the end it’s my knee, after all she’s never had a TKR.
It does seem that there are many PT's that believe the "window of opportunity" fairy tale, but in all fairness I read of some good ones also that do believe in a BoneSmart type approach to recovery. You're right on both counts, the PT never experienced TKR or recovery, and it's your knee and you're the one that will have to deal with the pain of an overly aggressive therapy session. Sounds like you have it all under control. :ok:
 
Three weeks today since my surgery. I drove my car to PT today for the first time. Was able to actually ride the stationary bike for a bit very slowly but was happy I could achieve a full revolution which I couldn’t do last Monday. My PT is of the mindset that she needs to push my knee past where I could do it myself, OTOH she does stop when I say enough. I’m ok with most of it and I am seeing results. I have started to walk in the house without a crutch for short trips. As I write this my leg is up, connected to the polar cube and finishing up lunch. I have a feeling a nap is on deck. Stay strong and thanks to all of you.
 
Wow, driving at three weeks! I wouldn't have been able to get into the driver's seat that soon! Great milestone for you :wowspring:
 
Three weeks today since my surgery. I drove my car to PT today for the first time. Was able to actually ride the stationary bike for a bit very slowly but was happy I could achieve a full revolution which I couldn’t do last Monday. My PT is of the mindset that she needs to push my knee past where I could do it myself, OTOH she does stop when I say enough. I’m ok with most of it and I am seeing results. I have started to walk in the house without a crutch for short trips. As I write this my leg is up, connected to the polar cube and finishing up lunch. I have a feeling a nap is on deck. Stay strong and thanks to all of you.
You lucky duck! I can’t drive for another week or two. Getting closer to walking with a cane, hopefully next week. I am very happy for you Jim, just be careful my friend!
 
Thanks Jake, got to admit I’m wiped out after PT. I’m still unsure about my PT, she does want to force my knee even more than I would like, still a bit confused by all of it, especially with what I’ve learned here. Thanks for your support. Stay strong!
 
still unsure about my PT, she does want to force my knee even more than I would like
Please don't allow her to force it because it can cause swelling inside the joint and delay your recovery.

In fact, she should not be bending your knee at all; what counts is how much you can bend or extend it under your own power.

Remember, it is YOUR knee and YOUR recovery and you have the right to say "NO". She works for you, not the other way around!
 
Thanks Jake, got to admit I’m wiped out after PT. I’m still unsure about my PT, she does want to force my knee even more than I would like, still a bit confused by all of it, especially with what I’ve learned here. Thanks for your support. Stay strong!
Without sounding like I’m your family member :snork: , make sure you get plenty of rest after your adventure. Rest is that important for our recovery. I’m telling you this as I tell myself this too. You got this Jim!
 
A nap and some ice worked wonders this afternoon. My knee is not any more swollen than before PT, thankful about that. Right now your input is more valuable than any family member, what do they know about TKR. :shrug:
Thanks
 
3 and a 1/2 weeks since my surgery today. Ditched my crutch over the weekend and I am focusing on heel to toe walking. I had PT today. Am able to ride the stationary bike for a bit. My PT said I could start going back to the gym to ride the stationary bike for 10-20 minutes and focus more on stretching both calf and hamstring afterward. I am at 100 degrees and the swelling is fairly slight. All in all I am a bit encouraged but I’m also in my recliner, legs up and icing as I type this. Happy Monday all!
 
3 and a 1/2 weeks since my surgery today. Ditched my crutch over the weekend and I am focusing on heel to toe walking. I had PT today. Am able to ride the stationary bike for a bit. My PT said I could start going back to the gym to ride the stationary bike for 10-20 minutes and focus more on stretching both calf and hamstring afterward. I am at 100 degrees and the swelling is fairly slight. All in all I am a bit encouraged but I’m also in my recliner, legs up and icing as I type this. Happy Monday all!
Excellent news Jim! Just be careful and not over do it. You don’t want to take steps backwards after making so much progress! Heal to toe walking is easier said than done. It’s definitely a challenge for me.
 
Thanks and you’re right of course, I am patience challenged for sure. I’m not pushing myself to any significant pain but I know you make sense. Grateful for today.
Stay strong!
 
My PT said I could start going back to the gym to ride the stationary bike for 10-20 minutes
That's great progress. Just be sure that the bike is set to NO tension -- you want the spinning motion only at this early stage post-op. Remember that you are still in recovery mode and not in strengthening mode yet.
 
1 month today! Had a PT session that went well. Deep massage on both thigh and calf which was challenging but in the end helpful. Rode the stationary bike for 10 mins, stretched and worked on the ROM. My pre surgical ROM was 115 so my PT said that should be fine and not married to a number but more interested in function. I’m right around 100 still. Wants me to focus on more walking, stationary bike riding and some stretching. Seeing my Surgeon on Monday for X-rays and follow up. Grateful. Thanks all!
 
Happy one month an-knee-versary, @Jtmav!

My pre surgical ROM was 115 so my PT said that should be fine and not married to a number but more interested in function. I’m right around 100 still.
Sounds like you have a very knowledgeable therapist!

A flexion on 100 is really good for a month post-op. There is probably still swelling inside the knee, which will restrict your bend. Many surgeons are happy to see patients get to 90 degrees at 6 weeks.

Good luck with your appointment on Monday. I'm sure it will be good news.
 
Hi @Jtmav .
You are doing awesome! You have reached so many milestones in your short recovery time! To think you were driving at 3 weeks! Amazing! I think one of my most emotional milestones was when I went on a bike in PT at about 4 weeks, and was able to pedal, very slowly! I actually cried! I am also a cyclist (albeit, no where near semi professional, but better than grandma on a bike with a basket:rotfl:. ). I am 4 months post tkr and can’t wait to get back on the road with my bike!

I have found that I ALWAYS overdo it when I go to the gym!:no-fin: While I am working out, I feel fine, but then my knee yells at me when I get home! I try not to ride the bike more than 15 minutes when I am doing other machines or water exercises on the same day.

I also had a hard time sleeping! I always went to bed in my bedroom, but often, had to go downstairs to ice and sleep ( or try to) in the recliner. I tried to sleep on my side around 3 weeks, but could not stay in that position for more than 15 minutes. I tossed and turned for weeks trying to get comfortable. I can now sleep on my side for a few hours befor having to change positions. I hope sleeps comes sooner to you.:yes:

Good luck with your recovery!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom